You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Thing On The Porch

Real Ghost Stories

Thing On The Porch

 

This story is actually a little bit complicated to tell. First, I have to explain that I used to have dreams about my guardian spirit. At different times, he would guide me through problems in my life, give me strength or explain things that I couldn't understand while I slept. I have only lived in one home that a person died in, and that is when I started having this reoccurring dream (I will explain it later).

There was about 7 years out of my life that I lived away from my childhood home (which I live in now). During this time, I lived in a mobile home that an old woman died in. The owner told my family that the lady that died in the house was her mother, and that she was obligated to tell us before we stayed in the house. The lady said her mother was very kind, and a petite old woman that was suffering from emphysema. The old woman died peacefully with all her family gathered around her, so my family felt confident that staying in the house would be fine.

When I turned 17, I was staying in the house with my then-best friend, while my mother and brother were living in another house on the same property. While I lived at the house, I had a couple strange but gentle experiences. I would hear light footsteps in the hall and sometimes the lights would turn on in the middle of the night. I knew this was the spirit of the old woman that had died here. I wasn't afraid of her because she never did anything violent or frightening.

But shortly after staying in the house, things started to change. My then-friend worked at night, so I was home alone most nights. My room was about 8 feet from the front door, so the porch was right by my window (my friend stayed in the room that the old woman died in, or sometimes slept on the couch). I didn't have curtains at the time so I covered my window with posters, so I couldn't see outside and no one else could see into my room.

Now that I have explained that, I'll get to the actual frightening haunting. At night (not every night), I started dreaming of my guardian on the roof. He was on his hands and knees knocking on the roof like a door. The dreams would only last a few seconds. He would knock on the roof and say things like, "That's not me on the porch" or "Don't open the door." I would always wake up to these loud sounds on the front porch, like someone heavy stomping on it or running from the ground and leaping onto it. The first time it happened, I thought it was just a big dog or something like that.

But the incidents started happening more often at night, and they started getting more and more violent. There would be the stomping, or the running/jumping, and followed by that, something would bang on the door really hard or rattle the knob (I always locked the door) as if trying to turn it open. It would scare the living daylights out of me, because I would hear light sounds on the roof as well, like footsteps on the tin. It happened all the time and it got scarier and scarier.

Oddly, the back door was way weaker, but nothing ever happened around the back door. It was always wreaking havoc on the front porch and door. And almost every night prior to the bangs, I would have the warning dreams of "That's not me" or "Don't open the door!"

When my friend was off work, some nights he slept straight through the banging, but every once in a while, he would wake up and ask me what was going on. I would always say something like, "I don't know, but please don't open the front door" or "I don't know, but stay in my room tonight because I'm scared!" At times when my cats decided to sleep in my room, I would cuddle them until they probably couldn't breathe, out of being scared. But they didn't seem too bothered by the sounds. I'm sure both cats heard them because their heads faced the direction of the sounds, but if they were already settled, they didn't seem to care.

What do you guys make of this? It never made sense to me. It could not have been the old woman, because I knew what her spirit was like and she was already in the house. What was that thing that was trying to get in from the porch? It must have been something scary; otherwise I wouldn't have those dreams. I never once saw anything on the porch, no shadows through the window-covering, no dents or scratches on the door the following days as evidence of an attempted break in. We had one of those peep holes in the front door, but I never got out of bed to go see what may or may not have been there.

Other hauntings by ChildOfTheLotus

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ChildOfTheLotus, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Nighthingale23 (60 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-24)
omgatos! 😨 I would have excremented on myself... Lol. But I know the feeling of being there hearing things that shouldnt be there and feeling helpless.I'm so glad you didn't open the door or even looked... I think it might have been something bad, I get the creeps just by reading your story... I don't why, To tell you the truth if it had been me I'd have mostlikely dessoveid my guardian and looked... 😜 I tend to be too curious somtimes. Anyways the light footsteps on your roof... 😕 Reminds that when I was 15 I would swear I heard footsteps back and fort on the trailer, sometimes like if something would just land and stand around a bit, I tried to sleep through it and just thought it was my over reactive imagination. You see I was a troubled kid &big fan of Ann rice's work at the time (Still Am) and very interested in the occult. So sometimes I thought too much into things, since strange things,noices,taps ect, always happened around me at night. Sometimes I would pray and it would stop but the footsteps I don't know... Maybe it was a guardian too?... I wish lol. But I don't think so. If I had one I wouldn't have been through the things I did. Thanks for your story it was very interesting.:)
Thegrinch17 (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-17)
I'm having the same problem myself. I just moved to a new place a few months ago & have been hearing noises on my enclosed porch for awhile now. It started out with the door at the bottom of the stairs slamming late at night so we started locking it, thinking it may have been drunks or teenagers messing around. We now keep it locked so there's no way anyone can get onto our porch without having a key. There have been noises on our porch late at night. Footsteps & thumping noises that seem to grow louder each time. I've had the police here several times but they've never found any cause for the noises. One night it even started up again as soon as they left! There is no explanation for this & it's scaring the daylights out of me. I want to move soon! 😨
soul (1 stories) (54 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-17)
Then...I guess it was a bad featured demon or else who would do such a nasty thing at the middle of the night. So you did the right thing by not opening the door. God knows, what I would have done if I were you! I guess I would have opened the door. And something bad
Would have happened to me. 😨

May God bless you. Take care. ❤
ChildOfTheLotus (10 stories) (133 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-16)
The old lady wouldn't slam around like that. She was very weak and small and calm. The people that lived in the house after I moved out (we knew them) also saw her. Their 6 year old daughter said that there was an old lady in the house and she breathed "Like this *inserts raspy breathing*" The little girl was not told about the old woman dying in the house at all. She just knew. But they had no experience with the porch.
soul (1 stories) (54 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-16)
I think the thing was a bad featured demon that was trying to haunt you or it was the spirit of the old lady who badly needed your help. 😕
book_luver123 (227 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-16)
I think it is a demon or a very violent ghost. Some ghosts and demons can't get into other peoples homes unless they have permission from you.
ChildOfTheLotus (10 stories) (133 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-15)
Every time my guardian comes into my dreams, he looks the exact same. He's tall and thin, but could pass for a human being. He has a light skin-color, messy dark hair (like wild-looking) and two tiny horns on his head. His eyes are very dark brown, almost maroon and his clothing always appears to be old or torn or faded. He has a very demonic appearance.

In the warnings, he never looks worried. He seems more scolding than anything. Kind of like how when a father tells a child not to do something, his voice is so stern, the kid knows better than to disobey. So he was really just stern and serious.
TigerLily (3 stories) (145 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-15)
I haven't a clue as to what it may have been. I'm glad you didn't open the door though. 😨
You said that your Guardian appeared in a number of dreams to warn you. What exactly did he look like? What sort of expression did he have? 😕

God Bless.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: