You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Unfamiliar Voices And Other Odd Things

Real Ghost Stories

Unfamiliar Voices And Other Odd Things

 

First of all I thought I submitted this in early December and it was titled "Voices". Since it still hasn't posted, I have remembered more things about the house and added to the story and have resubmitted it under this new name so if you start to read this same story, I apologize for submitting it twice.

I've lived in a lot of homes throughout my lifetime and experienced many peculiar things. Some homes have had no activity at all, others have had quite a bit. I am writing about the first home we moved to in upstate, New York.

When I was 9 years old, my family moved to beautiful western New York. Most people think of New York City whenever I tell them I've lived in New York; however, the state is predominantly rural with lots of farmland, rolling hills and mountains. I've lived in 3 homes in this state, all being in the country. The first home was on a farm, the next was in between 2 dairy farms and the last was butted up against the Alleghany forest and with all 3 homes, I had Amish for neighbors, just to give you some indication of the area.

We moved into a huge 3 story (4 if you count the very large attic), early 40's farm house. In the corner of our kitchen was a door leading down to the basement. At the bottom of the stairs on the right was a fairly large "meat hanging room", which was very creepy to me and I didn't like going down that way. I preferred coming into the basement area through any other door except the one that would make me pass by that room.

The meat room didn't look like it was built at the same time as the rest of the house. It looked like someone had dug a huge room out of the ground. The walls were made out of a different material/mortar altogether. It seemed to stay much cooler than any other part of the basement even during the hottest months of the year. We raised cows, pigs and chickens mostly and this was the room where my dad would cut up the meat and also do his curing. On the wall that was facing the front of the house was a door that had been closed off with bricks and mortar, so it appeared that the door would have lead out into and under our front yard. I'm explaining the lay out of this meat room because I think it might have some correlation between it and the voices.

When we first moved there, my mom did some research on the history of our town at the public library. She found that there were homes in the area and even on our road that had underground railroads to help the slaves escape during the 19th century. The previous owners never gave my parents any history about our house other than the original home had burned to the ground and was rebuilt in the same spot in the 1940's, so my mom thought that that's what the sealed off door in the meat room could have been used for.

One weekend my Aunt and Uncle came to visit from Boston. They wanted my mom and dad to show them around the area and stop and get a bite to eat. My brother and I didn't want to go so he, being 13, offered to babysit me while they went out. We were playing upstairs where our bedrooms were. The top floor bathroom was located on the back side of the house that extended across the entire width of our home. It had a large laundry shoot that we used to drop our dirty laundry down that would fall into a basket in the basement. My brother had the idea to take a rope and climb down the shoot.

As we were getting things set up, we started to hear voices in the basement coming from the shoot. It sounded like men and women talking. We assumed our parents were home so we decided to eavesdrop in on their conversation. We both leaned in the laundry shoot to hear what was being said. We could hear people talking but not anyone familiar, nor could we figure out what was being said even though it sounded like they were speaking English. My brother looked out the bathroom window to see who it could be but didn't see anything so we figured it had to be our parents.

We decided to sneak down to the basement and jump out and scare them but there was no sign of anyone down there. Everything was still locked up like they left it. We flew back up the stairs and ran to my brother's bedroom and locked the door.

When our parents got home, we asked them if they came home earlier and they told us they hadn't. This was the first time we heard voices and let me just add, the TV was not on nor any radios. This was clearly people having a conversation in our basement.

About a year later... My brother had moved his bedroom downstairs in what used to be "the study". One afternoon my mom, dad and I went to the grocery store and left my brother home. While at the grocery store, I heard my name paged over the intercom to come to the front of the store for a phone call. Who would be calling me at the grocery store? I answered the call and it was my brother on the other end. He asked me to stay on the phone with him because he was scared but not to tell mom and dad. I asked what was going on and he told me that he was laying on his bed resting and a voice started to talk to him (in his head). It told him to go to the gun cabinet and take the shotgun out and to shoot himself. He said he felt like something was pulling him toward the gun cabinet. I told him to not listen to the voice! Even though I was just 10, I knew that something evil was going on. I stayed on the phone until my parents finished with their shopping and told him we would be home soon and not to move! Once we were home, everything was ok.

My brother had a set of twin beds in his room and asked me to sleep down in his room one night. He woke me up in the middle of the night and asked me if I could hear the voices. I told him I couldn't hear anything. He told me to get on his bed with him. We sat and listened intently and I finally heard what sounded like 2 or 3 people engaged in a conversation in the basement. Like before, we couldn't make out a word being said even though it sounded like they were speaking English. We sat and listened and after about 10 minutes, the conversation seemed to end. I honestly don't remember if we stayed in his room or wound back upstairs that night, but my brother moved back upstairs to his old bedroom right after that.

Besides the voices, other strange things happened that we couldn't find any logical explanation for. For instance, tapping coming from the windows on the second floor. Also, one night I was in the living room sitting on the floor in front of our coffee table cutting out paper dolls and something hit the coffee table 3 times so hard that I felt the vibration hitting the table. My mom heard the noise of the smacks and we both jumped up and yelled for my dad.

One more thing... The winters in upstate New York can be pretty brutal with temperatures that can go into the single digits to sub-digit numbers and with the wind chill, can reach -60 degrees. (Back then anyway.) One morning while everyone was gone, my mom decided to go out and get the mail. It was frigid cold that morning. She put her heavy house coat on and her winter boots. After all, she was just going to the end of the driveway and back. She kept the kitchen door ajar that lead onto our large screened in side porch. On her way back to the house she heard the kitchen door slam shut. She hurried back to the porch and went to open the kitchen door and it was locked up tight. It was clearly shut and locked which really scared my mom because she had purposely left the door unlocked and ajar. She had no choice but to walk to the neighbor's house that was about 1/8 of a mile away. She almost didn't make it to their door before collapsing. If she had to go much further, she could have easily frozen to death before reaching help.

She called my dad home from work to take her back to the house. When they got there, the door was just as she left it. My mom always stood by her story and said that she had made sure the door to the house was unlocked and slightly open and there was no wind or draft that would have caused the door to slam shut like it did and even if it was possible, she still made sure the door was unlocked.

I hope this wasn't too long and thanks for reading...

Other hauntings by Enlightened1959

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Enlightened1959, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-30)
Excellent account and quite a chilling experience! I am with Biblio - definitely something malign lingering in that home (though it sounded as though it must have been lovely). Reading back through your description of the basement, it sounds as though the bricked up door was in the meat room and that the meat room was a secondary addition to the home - it could be that the door was originally a bulk head entrance to the basement from the outside (very common in old homes, as it allowed stores to be laid in very easily) that needed to be closed up when the meat room was added. Biblio may well be right that something sinister was going on in that space... Gosh what could be discovered with a proper archaeological investigation! But, I don't see anything *necessarily* out of order with the home simply *having* such a room, in spite of the coldness of the winters. Summer's still do get hot - and the space may have been used for more than just meat storage/curing - it may well have been used as a dairy (for the storage and curing of dairy products like cheese and butter), making cheeses was a fairly common cottage industry... Not to say that it may not have been used for more nefarious practices, simply that it's very presence doesn't necessarily raise red flags to me nor does the bricked up entrance necessarily mean a tie to the Underground Railroad. I truly think there was someone nasty living there at some time - and I am very glad your family doesn't seem to have suffered any lasting ill effects!
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-08)
Greetings, Enlightened:

As with others who've commented, I was riveted by your account. I cannot explain every event detailed in your experiences, nor will I try to do so. However, I had a rather sudden cold flash when you wrote in one of your responses to Manafon, "What I don't understand is that if we had an Underground Railroad leading to our home, than that means the people who originally lived in our home was helping people, not hurting them."

Though hope would be nice for people fleeing toward freedom, there is a very real chance that they'd experience a great deal of terror; fear of being found, fear of being betrayed, fear of even being **seen** would be a constant part of the journey away from the slave states/territories (and in the Northern states which prospered by manufacturing goods from the materials produced on Southern farms and plantations).

I apologize if the following is upsetting, but my brain does make odd connections sometimes; I cannot explain why I get these visual/tactile sensations when I read on the computer narratives about events long ago, but I had a sudden, unpleasant, creepy feeling that the following data are analogous to your old home's situation: 1) The book "Death in the City of Light" is a historical account describes a serial killer operating in occupied Paris by claiming to be a part of the resistance; 2) "Devil in the White City" chronicles "H. H. Holmes" (Herman Webster Mudgett) building a maze-like deathtrap hotel and killing visitors to the Chicago World's fair; 3) The "Bloody Benders" ran an isolated inn on a westward trail in Kansas, with a minimum of 21 murders committed there (all of "Ma" Benders' previous husbands died of head wounds, but they were before this little enterprise); 4) Belle Gunness murdered a few husbands and lured suitors to her farm using the "singles" column of the newspaper; 5) and, finally, Sawney Bean --who may or may not have really existed-- preyed upon lonely travelers to help feed his cannibalistic family in Scotland.

I realize that these are all historical examples of exploitative serial killers committing crimes of opportunity, but for something as malign as a spirit encouraging your brother to blow off his own head with a shotgun to have been active in your childhood home, there probably had been a fair amount of deliberate, malicious activity. This activity may have been caused by the entity, or the entity may have been attracted by bloodshed, but there is something seriously *wrong* with the atmosphere of the house you've described. The cold room in the basement would have been designed for meat storage, thus the temperature would need to be quite low, but a lot of meat was preserved by salting it, and preserving meat in the bitter chill of upstate New York winters wouldn't really require much **indoor** storage space. This all sounds frighteningly wrong to me, and -to tell you the complete truth- I'm trying very, very hard NOT to get more data/feelings from your description of the events because of how unsettling what I saw/felt/thought was just before I get a good night's sleep!

I do apologize, Enlightened, if any of my intuition/guesswork/analogies has upset you, as that was not my intent; I sometimes have these odd reactions and I type them out in the hope that the information may be relevant or useful in some way. Please, take care as you reflect upon my suggestions; if you have good reason to doubt these ideas,*please* let me know that I'm way off-base.

Best,
Biblio.
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-08)
Miracles, I wanted to add one more thing... By the way, I responded to your comment along with Manafon1. It made me smile when you said how engrossed you were that you wouldn't have heard your phone ring in your office if it had. Lol
I wanted to tell you and everyone else that my brother called me yesterday and guess where he was headed? He was in that same grocery store I had talked about and he was heading toward our old house. He said that he has driven by it just to look at it and remember back to those times. He said sometimes he is compelled to pull off the road across the street from that house and just look at it at times. Almost as if that house is still beckoning him to come inside. Strange.
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-05)
Thank you for your comments Kindly...

I would NOT work alone AT NIGHT anywhere! Nope couldn't do that! I do work a swing shift at a hospital though which means I have to work some 7pm to 7am shifts, but not in an area where there are patients. I work for "Ask A Nurse" and MD Link which is transferring patients from one hospital to another. There is only me and two other nurses and I have to say it does get pretty creepy at times. I won't even go downstairs to the vending machine because it creeps me out so much. One time I wanted a coke so bad that I went down and low and behold, I felt something push me forward real quick. I was on the phone with my daughter so I didn't have to be alone, (even though I was technically alone) but at least I was talking to someone when it happened. I have never gone down there since while working the night shift. So far, I haven't heard any "disembodied" voices though. In my opinion, I think all buildings can be creepy at night.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-05)
Enlightened--Thanks for responding but what I was asking concerning your brother having you paged over the grocery store intercom is that I would imagine your Mom and Dad would have gone with you to find out who was calling. Especially as you were a child. Once they understood the caller was your brother wouldn't they ask you if everything was okay back at your house?

It just seems logical that your Mom or Dad would have asked who had paged you and what they wanted, especially considering your young age at the time. Sorry that I'm asking for clarification but it just seems your parents would be inquisitive about you taking a call and would have wanted to know what your brother wanted.
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-05)
Manafon1, Sorry I misspelled you name. In response to your and Miracles comments, I'm glad my experience was so captivating for you. Lol It has stayed with me for a lifetime. It seems that the older homes have more paranormal activity but then that hasn't always been my experience.

Regarding the winters in Western New York, they used be so much more harsh than they are today. However, I talked to my brother yesterday (who lives in the town 3 miles from this house), and he had to get off the phone because he was driving and he was in a "white out" and he said they are supposed to get up to 18 inches of snow by tomorrow night. Of course this has nothing to do with this experience but I wanted to add this, Yes, my mom was very lucky that our neighbor was home to let her in because she would surely have frozen to death before she could have gotten any help. I do believe something sinister was in that home. What I don't understand is that if we had an Underground Railroad leading to our home, than that means the people who originally lived in our home was helping people, not hurting them.
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-05)
Thanks to all of you who have commented on my experience. I will try and respond to everyone who has commented. I'm glad to know that others have experienced the same things my family and I have, I have heard "disembodied" voices my whole life. Not all the time but there have been several occasions and sometimes, my brother or mother or now daughter has heard them at the very same time and we seldom have been able to make out what was being said even though it sounds to be of the English language.
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-05)
Hello Manafan1,

It's been a long time ago but we had only lived there for a few months when we had gone to the store. My mom and dad had to have known it was my brother because I was too young for anyone to be calling me and who would have known that we were at a grocery store other than my brother. This was in the mid-late 60's so there was no such thing as a cell phone back then. It had to be my brother. My brother would not have wanted my parents to know he was afraid because he knew that would result in not letting him stay home alone.

Yes it was odd that he had a controlling feeling like he did but I am so glad he called the store that day.
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-01-05)
Enlightened 1959, your account is very absorbing. Trying to talk someone into shooting themselves takes the story way beyond merely interesting though.

I used to work in an old factory and would be alone at night. I would hear conversations of two women or sometimes two men on different occasions.

Like you, I was pretty sure it was English being spoken but I could not make out one word.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-01-04)
Enlightened--I agree with Miracles, I was completely engrossed in your account while reading it. Like you, I have heard disembodied voices several times and every time, even though the voice or voices were clear, the actual words were oddly muffled.

I read you account with particular interest because just this afternoon I was in a house built in 1876 and heard what sounded like two men talking but nobody was there. My wife and I run a pet care business and one of the services we provide is taking care of people's pets and houses while they are out of town. I stopped in just before one and, as always, had to turn off the alarm. The family dog (a golden retriever) met me at the back door and I suddenly became aware of voices. I initially thought it sounded like a tv or radio but quickly remembered there was nothing on. The voices continued for a few more seconds then stopped.

It then started again before stopping a few moments later. The house is very large and I walked to the front foyer and called upstairs asking if someone was there. Nothing. Then to the back stairs in the kitchen. Still nothing. As I prepared to take the dog out I said to the room, "Can I hear the voices again." There was suddenly a loud rap from the center of the kitchen. I repeated my question and received the same rap. After that nothing else happened. I should add that this huge old house is built like a fortress and there was no activity outside that could explain the sound of voices. I live outside Chicago and it was fifteen degrees with a minus five windchill.

It seems the voices in your house were attached to something malevolent. Between your Mother being locked out in the brutal cold and a voice telling your brother to shoot himself, whatever was/is there doesn't seem friendly. It is good too that nobody was physically harmed. Although your Mom came close! I did have one question. You wrote that your Mom, Dad and you were at the grocery store and your brother had you paged over the store's speaker when he heard the voice in his head telling him to shoot himself. Weren't your parents curious who had paged you and talked so long to you while out shopping? I assume you were between nine and eleven years old. My parents would certainly have asked what was up!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-04)
RC - I agree, hope had to have been a major emotion people felt. At least I would hope so. There are a lot of emotions, more than I could possibly begin to understand, that could have, and probably were, experienced during their journey toward freedom.

I guess I was trying to make pieces of a puzzle fit together, without all of the pieces 😊
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+5
7 years ago (2017-01-04)
Miracles, while anger, fear and worry can be negative emotions, as this was, potentially, a stop on the Underground Railroad, I think hope was also an emotion folks experienced on the journey. I wish the voices could have been heard more clearly. I'm sure the words would reveal interesting details on that period in our history.

Enlightened, as I write this, I'm in Syracuse, and grew up in Rome, having lived in NYS almost my whole life, with a side trip to Ohio.

Winters here are an awesome thing, with snowfall in some places topping 200 inches in a season. And then there was the blizzard of 1977 which really has no equal anywhere else in the world. At least, I've not heard of any that truly compare with it. Your mom is a strong woman if she can make it that distance in one of our winters.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+5
7 years ago (2017-01-04)
Enlightened - darn. Okay, I was so engrossed in reading this that I wouldn't have heard my office phone ringing if it had. First, I personally understand what your brother experienced. Thank God he called and had you paged, and you and your parents were still there for you to get the call. Having no control over what something is telling you to do is horrifying. I really, really am glad it turned out okay and that your brother moved back upstairs.

I'm well acquainted with voices that you should be able to understand but can't. It is very annoying. My son asked me once why we couldn't understand them. I told him maybe they don't want us to understand them. Ha ha, just a random thought. Maybe they have voice scramblers or some filter like that 😆

My first thought is the Underground Railroad and all the emotions that still linger. I cannot imagine the anger, fear, worry that people experienced when trying to escape via the Underground Railroad. And not only from the people trying to escape, but those who aided in the escapes. This could amount to a lot of negative energy, that may or may not have been intentionally directed at your family. It could be that the situations would have played out exactly the same if another family had lived there.

I am very happy your mom made it safely to the neighbors. Thank you for submitting it (again). I'm glad this time we were able to publish it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: