You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Love Gone Awry

Real Ghost Stories

Love Gone Awry

 

My boyfriend Rob and I have always been open-minded and believed in the paranormal. We have lived together in a small two bedroom house in Louisiana for just over a year. Rob lived in the house for a year before I moved in, so for him, this makes just over two years.

Upon moving in, Rob had an Australian Shepherd named Stetson who was deaf. From the beginning, Rob would wake to find Stetson barking, growling, and baring his teeth in the same corner of the living room at nearly the same time every night. Remember, Stetson is deaf, so he wasn't barking at anything he heard. Rob found it alarming because Stetson was a very docile dog. Each night he would carefully console Stetson and return to bed.

As Rob began to get to know the neighbors, the woman next door asked if he was aware of what had taken place in his house. Obviously he was not. The woman informed him that just months before, a young man lived in the house with his girlfriend. One day he returned home to find her in bed with another man. After he found them, the woman and her lover took off in his car. The man was so distraught over losing his girlfriend, that he put a gun to his head and committed suicide, or so it is believed.

The woman who told Rob the story said that she awoke the night of the suicide to a knock at her door from the police around two am. She also claims that she witnessed the scene of the crime, even assisted in cleaning up and repainting. She believed that the man was shot in the bathroom, but somehow ended up in the second bedroom, where he died. She also claims that the cheating girlfriend was once questioned as a suspect for the murder of her boyfriend, but the case was never solved and no one was convicted.

I moved in during January of 2007. In March of 2007, our friend Jeremy moved into the second room before deploying to Iraq. Jeremy's room is the site of the man's death. There is a constant smell within the room that is difficult to describe. We've steam vacuumed, air freshened, opened windows, done everything we could think of, and it continues to smell. It smells damp and earthy. Before Jeremy knew the story of the man who died in the house, he started telling us that at night, he would feel his bed shake from underneath, as if someone was punching the floor up into his bed. He had the type of bed that sat very low to the floor. Needless to say, we told him the story.

Other happenings include the closet door in the hallway between the bathroom and second bedroom. The man would have walked right in front of it. Things in the closet crash to the floor, heavy things like televisions. The door is always opening and closing. At the moment, it's broken off of the hinges. Lights go on and off. Once, an entire six foot bookshelf came crashing to the floor, shattering glass items on the shelf. Rob and I were both on the couch nowhere near the shelf. While passing the living room to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, Rob and I have seen the figure of a man sitting on the couch staring at the wall. When we look again, he's gone. Rob has seen a shadow pass in front of our alarm clock so that the numbers went completely black for a moment. Small statues on our shelves have been turned completely backward. We've seen someone cross in front of the bathroom door while we shower. We've heard inexplicable music, bangings, knockings, thumps. We always feel people watching. No one is ever there.

There is another thing I should mention. There is a full body apparition of a tall elderly man with silver hair in a black suit and a red tie. At times, he carries a matching black hat, but I've never seen him wear it. The strange thing is that he can't be the man who died in the house. The man who died was around nineteen. This man is nearly seventy it seems. I was the first to see him. One night I wasn't feeling well and was sitting on the bathroom floor in front of the toilet. The bathroom is small and there are no windows, so no shadows are cast into it. Suddenly, I felt a chill and looked up to see the old man standing in the doorway, blocking the entry with his arms folded across his chest. His build filled nearly the entire door frame. He's very tall. I didn't feel threatened, but taken aback. I felt as if he just wanted me to be aware of his presence. He was only there for a few seconds. One night I heard whispering which elevated into what sounded like a party in the 20s or 30s. I heard faint swing music. I got up and went to each room, listened near the windows, opened the front and back doors to listen and see where it was coming from. Each time, it died down. There wasn't any music. The moment I put my head back on the pillow, I head it faintly again. I finally fell asleep feeling psychotic. The man Rob and I have both witnessed on the couch is this elderly man. Before I told Rob of the man standing in the doorway, he had a dream that he was walking through an old house and he saw the same man walk past a doorway and point to the outlines of various crosses that had been burned into the wall. Rob is a crazy sleeper. He talks, tosses, turns, all kinds of things. That night, I remember him pointing to the wall and speaking gibberish. I laughed and went to sleep. The next morning, he told me about the dream and of the man. I nearly died. We had both seen him. After that, he's been everywhere.

We finally mustered up the courage to tell the woman next door of the "ghost" in our house. She was surprised and said that a friend of hers was taking pictures in an abandoned house across the street and caught a silhouette of an old man in dark clothing and a hat. We've come to believe that the man may have owned the land long before these houses were built. We've come to the conclusion that we have a residual haunting because he has never seemed aware of our presence. He also looks as if he lived a few decades in the past. His suit is very traditional and simple looking. He isn't active too often and never feels threatening or scary, but Rob and I believe that he was an important man and he wants to continue to feel that way. He may not even realize that he has died. We've attempted to do research on both the old man and have attempted to find out the name of the young man who died in the house, but haven't had any success. We'll be moving soon, and it will be kind of sad leaving our ghost (or ghosts) behind. It's been quite an experience.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, cassiperry, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

spookysearch (15 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-28)
Hi Cassi-

I commented a couple days ago about your story and I'm still very interested to talk to you.

I've done some research on the property since then, and I've come across some interesting information.

Please write me back at spookysearch [at] gmail.com because I'd really like to share my findings with you.

Thanks!
spookysearch (15 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-26)
Hi Cassi,

Really enjoyed reading this story. I'd love to ask you more questions about it, because it seems perfect for a paranormal investigation show I'm working on. Drop me a line at spookysearch [at] gmail.com. Thanks!
ademarco6 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-04)
My wife and I resided in that house, 1105 w. North st., from August to December 2004 upon our return from a 15 month deployment in Iraq. We did not have any problems with the residence and enjoyed the A/C and heat. The house was supported by car jacks and it seemed like it would slide off its piers. We only accepted to live there because every place around post was unavailable, but not this one. We made some changes like adding the gravel to park our cars and other minor things inside. I am surprised that the house is still around. Magnolia Realty rented the property to us and the only problems were clogged pipes. It had new carpet in the house when we got it and the lady and older gentleman across the street were very nice and did not inform us of the incident. The lady that lives in the front house seemed happy to have a married couple in the military renting that place. She said that they didn't like the previous renters because they always had lots of different people coming over and suspected that they were selling drugs.

One day my wife had to call a cab to get home from school. The address was always hard to find by delivery people, but the cab driver said he knew the street and didn't need directions. When my wife pointed at the house, the young driver said that he knew the people that lived there before, that they were friends and that a guy died there not long ago. My wife was freaked out and didn't want to know anymore, but she knew she wanted to know how and where. The driver said he thought he died in the front room (the master bedroom), the man shot himself. She didn't ask anything else and told me when I got home. We never felt anything strange besides the initial shock and a night of little sleep after finding out. The house was not very stable and the cabinet would move whenever you walked by it, there were many drafts because of the poor insulation, but we never heard weird noises at night, etc. Hope this helps in your search, I don't think that the spirit intends to harm anyone. RIP
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-17)
Hi cassi. Thanks for the response! I think EVP's would be a great idea. Might be really helpful in this situation. Make sure you listen to the playback with the lights on - all of the ones I've heard really creep me out. Major goosebumps! Anyway, good luck. I hope something comes through for you on the recordings. And I hope you find the answers you're looking for. It's great that you are doing so much research, it shows that you care, so maybe your young man will find the caring that he didn't find before. It might be a comfort to his lonely spirit and give him peace to move on.
cassiperry (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
Hey again-

AllieRN:

Wow, I didn't think of that, but you make a great point. I have a minor in nursing and a medical background.

Mustang:

Thanks for your tips. We wouldn't want to do anything to further irritate our spirits.

Bellissima:

I absolutely loved your thought about how the same force may have urged our spirit to shoot himself. We need to buy a tape recorder and ask him a few questions. We've done it without a recorder, but I know EVPs may pick up frequencies we aren't able to hear.

Whitebuffalo:

Thanks for your information. I love the lavender idea. We're very big on lavender, so we'll have to give it a try. I also have lavender pillow mist that's supposed to help you sleep. I'll definitely keep David as a middle name in mind.

To all:

Thank you so much for all of your help and interest. I can't believe how many responses we've gotten! Rob and I have spent hours researching this house and haven't really come up with anything definite. I'm going to give out the address and year that we believe "David" died, so that any of you may do research if you would like.

1105 West North St.
Leesville, LA

And the year was 2005.

Let me know if you find anything or have any suggestions.

Peace,
Cas
AllieRN (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-13)
Cassiperry,
The smell in your friend's room may very well be blood. I am an RN and know that blood has a very distinct odor to it. In small amounts you don't notice it much but in larger amounts it is very noticeable. You may have a hard time getting rid of it especially if it got down into the flooring. Is there carpet in this room? If so has it been replaced and what kind of flooring is underneath?
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
Hi cassiperry. What a horrible thing to happen to someone! I pictured the situation while I was reading your story but I didn't think of any names or what they were wearing. Sorry! I was too stuck on this poor young man's life and the situation he was in. It is very sad. I also feel that this was an accident. Also, I don't know if it's really a great idea to call a ghost or spirit by a name that may not be his. I heard something about that that's why I'm telling you. I do believe that the elderly man in the suit is a residual haunting of the land and not necessarily the home itself since he has been seen across the street at another home. Keep us updated! ~Shelby ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
You know, Belle may be onto something pretty big there. I only say this as I have a STRONG sense that this young man (Cassi's David, not you Ohiowatha 😉) really did not want to harm himself. And according to the dream of your husband he had been urged to do the same.
I have a suggestion, take your research back a few more years looking for your address and the name David. Maybe the first occurrence was NOT the young man but one BEFORE he moved in... Just a thought.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
Hmmm, MY name is David...

Maybe you guys are merely channeling ME?

AHahahaha, just kidding. I'm entranced by this one...
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
Hi Cassi. I was interested in your comment where you say something was encouraging your boyfriend to shoot himself. Is it possible that the same 'something' had encouraged the fellow you are now calling 'David' to shoot himself? Maybe this is why he still hangs around, he didn't kill himself of his own free will and now he's trying to find someone to figure this out. Maybe he does this mischief out of frustration, to try to draw your attention to himself. Just throwing this out there - You could try using this theory when you speak to him - ask him if it's what happened. Maybe it would help him to go in peace. I could be way off the mark but it might be worth trying. 😳
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
Say, Cassi?
I am concerned for your husband. There is an article on this site that, in detail, explains what you need and how to do a smudging ceremony. That may be a good idea for you to check out. If you do not feel that is for you, could you please at least burn a lavender incense in the room before he goes to bed? You may think that is an odd request, but it should calm the dreams and the negative air that seems to be there.
I do not know about all states, but I do not think a landlord has to tell you that someone died in your home. Here in Indiana the only thing that is required to report is if an investigation has been done and the house has been listed as a haunted residence. The catch there is, it had to be investigated and listed. If it is just suspected, no dice, it does not have to be reported.
And how about David as a middle name?
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
Man, I love this site. Thank you all for your contributions. I feel there's been a resurgence in paranormal credibility. Maybe it's because of the rash of supernatural "reality shows," or maybe it's blow-back from a technology-crazy world that fewer people are buying-in to consequently returning to a more naturalistic understanding of the world, but I feel like people like us are no longer so quickly labeled "crazy..."

You are all so kind, helpful, intense, and intelligent in your own ways. What a family. Cassiperry, yours is a scary case and you are quite lucky to have people like Buffalo, Anna, Belli et al. At your back.

Cheers, Sensitive Humans!
cassiperry (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
Hi, everyone. Wow, I had no idea that I would receive so many responses to our story. Thank you all so much. It feels great to be reassured that I'm not going crazy. Rob and I have been debating whether we should have someone come out and do an investigation. We just don't know who to ask.

It's incredible that so many of you felt a strong connection to the name David. I can't be certain that it's accurate, but I trust my own and your instincts and David is certainly what we'll be referring to him as from now on. We attempted to find information on "David," as well. We looked up many obituaries from a few years back in the area, but never found anything concrete. Apparently, the entire case was kept pretty hush hush.

Does anyone happen to know whether or not a landlord is required to tell the tenant about a death that occurred in the house he's renting? We also want to look into that.

Here's the most recent update... And it happens to be the most intense and frightening. Rob woke up in the middle of the night a few days ago feeling as if something or someone was pushing him to get up, get his gun, and shoot himself. Of course, he immediately fought it off and found the thought absurd. He told me the next morning what had happened and said it felt as if the ghost was urging him to do it. Needless to say, "David" and I had a little talk the next morning. He didn't show up, but I talked to him as if he was there. It seems as if he heard and understood me. I encouraged him that I would never hurt Rob as his girlfriend hurt him. I thought that maybe he was trying to protect Rob from getting hurt. I assured him that I love Rob very much and such a thing would never happen. I also told him that just because he took that route out, doesn't mean we're going to. It may be a coincidence, but the tension has lowered in the house since then.

More comments are much appreciated. Thanks again guys. I'll be sure to give you all of the latest updates.

Peace,
Cassi.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
OMG Anna,
I saw tighter blue jeans and no shirt. I feel that he really had no intentions of doing this, though. Do you also feel that it was an accident? You said you saw it differently, just curious.
Thank you.
Anna12 (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
Hello!
I will agree Massive_Lemon and whitebuffalo, the name David kept coming to me when I read about the boy who suicided himself. Does this mean anything to you? I'm kind of seeing a blond young man with short hair who's not very tall but not short either. Do you have any info on this guy?
Whitebuffalo, I'm seeing you image only a little different. I'd like to add on to your image. For some reason I see this boy being topless and wearing jeans.
Thanks, great story!
Massive_Lemon (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
Strangely, I have to agree with White Buffalo. The name David popped into my mind as I was reading about the man who committed suicide.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
What a terrible thing to happen to a young person. Sounds like this boy was very hurt by it all but most people don't take their lives over a cheating girlfriend even if it was with a friend. Seems to me the boy had issues of his own if he went to these extremes. There are people who have terrible abandonment issues and lose it when they come to fruition. I also agree that the tall man is a residual haunting. I would try to send both to the Light if encountered. Animals are very sensitive so I have no doubt the dog in this story had a reaction to the phenomena that was happening.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
Hi Cassi.
I read this story a couple of hours ago and attempted to post a comment when my computer took over and shut itself down. A first for it, but probably not the last. 😊
Does the name David mean anything to you? I can not really explain what I mean, but I hope you can get the gist of this. At times, when I read a story or look at a photo or hold some kind of object, (sometimes, not always) I get feelings about or see "flash frames" of things. I do not know why and I do not know how to control it. I do not even know if they are mostly accurate or not. I have never asked.
When I was reading about the first poor soul in this recount (I believe the older man to be the former owner of the land before it was turned into a community. I would check out the late 1940's or 50's) the name David came to mind. I then got a horrible picture of what may or may not have happened in that home.
When David (for simplicity sake) came home and found his girlfriend with HIS FRIEND he became unglued. The two who had been caught took off and David was lost. He felt deserted and alone. He toyed with the idea of shooting himself, even dug out the gun and looked in the mirror of the bathroom while holding the gun to his head. He was crying. When he lowered his arm in defeat something went horribly wrong and the gun he thought was not loaded went off and grazed (but deeply) the side of his head. He stumbled out of the bath towards the same room his girlfriend just vacated. He was unsteady on his feet and was walking into the walls, grabbing at anything that could hold him up which caused things to fall all around him.
Sorry, I can not finish it.
IF this is what happened it was a horrible accident that was not meant to be.
This may not be what happened that night. This may just be something that jumped in my head, but if you find any of it to be true, could you please let me know? It is a very disturbing picture in my head and it is playing over and over.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
Great story Cassi, I enjoyed it very much. Since you seem secure and at ease with what has happened, all I can say is I`m looking forward to your next story.

FRAWIN 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
Wow, you certainly seem to have a lot going on in your home!
I would agree, perhaps the older man is attached to the history of the land. As far as the younger man, how sad to loose one self into heart ache so devistating that you would take your life.

I would suggest saying a pray for him to cross overand to find peace. When you hear the noises or witness him near, tell him it is okay to cross over, he will find peace and companionship. Try praying for him, place a cross in your bedrooms and other rooms. Thi should allow both entities to feel peace, perhaps then they can both move on to comfort and continuing peace and harmony.

God Bless! 😁
Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
Wow. I wish I could come do some activity work at this place. It sounds very intriguing. Great story! Thanks for sharing!
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
Hi Cassi. First, let me say, I really enjoyed your story. You have a lot of activity there, you seem pretty comfortable with the things that are going on and your house guests. I think you've done your homework and I would agree with the theories you've come up with. It really makes sense. You could send the spirits on their way by explaining that they need to move on and let them know their loved ones and peace is waiting, all they have to do is move toward it. Reassure them and tell them it's okay for them to go and everything will be all right. Sometimes they just don't know what has happened, they're confused and lost and don't know what to do. Gently tell them. Thanks for sharing your story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: