You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Never Knew Why

Real Ghost Stories

Never Knew Why

 

My story begins in Boise, Idaho, in the summer of 1960 when I was six years old.

My aunt moved to Boise from Greenville, New York that summer and the was no spare bedroom for her so my parents moved the bunk beds my younger sister and I shared from our bedroom to an odd shaped hall that was full of huge windows all the way around the side of the room that we slept in. I slept on the top bunk.

I enjoyed being able to look out the windows and see the moon and the stars at night. I would stare at them until I fell asleep. I'm not sure how many night went by before something very strange began to happen to me.

Late at night after everyone was in bed asleep, I would be awakened by a feeling of someone gently lifting me up off of my bed. Only it was toward the ceiling. I could touch it with my hands. I did touch it. Many times. I could feel the heat of the ceiling with my hands and also on my face.

I would feel weightless and the blanket, or sometimes just the top sheet, would be over me. I would put my hand underneath me and feel that I was raised up off the bed. I would look around at the tops of the windows over my feet and see the stars. I know I was awake!

Then all of a sudden I would begin to lower back down onto my bed again. It felt weird! I touched the bed as lightly as possible. I would lay there wondering what happened. What did that to me?

A few days went by and the same thing was happening all over again. I sort of enjoyed it. I don't know how many times that happened to me before it stopped. I grew to really like it. Though now I'm happy it stopped.

I've ever met anyone who could explain why that kept happening to me as a young child. So I just say, I never knew why.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Idaho

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, EddieR, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-05-01)
EddieR,

Hi! I'm just fascinated upon reading your story. I've never experienced something like that and I think I'll never wish to experience that in the future. I hope we can read more stories from you and thanks for sharing.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-04-30)
EddieR,

That definitely sounds like an out of body experience or astral projection. I never believed in it myself until I had it happen spontaneously a few years ago. Since then, I've learned to do it consciously/on purpose. There really isn't anything to fear and it does feel amazing.

Thanks for sharing 😊
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+6
6 years ago (2018-04-30)
Hi Eddie - Thanks for sharing your experience and welcome to YGS. Children are often much more prone to experience paranormal occurrences, especially things like levitation. There are many reports of mediums levitating during trance states but most of those have been revealed as fraudulent. There are exceptions,however, like the levitations of the nineteenth century medium Daniel Dunglas Home, who was able to levitate and float outside a window with multiple witnesses present.

In the case of your account age does seem very pertinent. You can find many, many reports on YGS that detail unusually baffling paranormal incidents with children roughly between the ages of five to ten. I had several unusual paranormal experiences when I was between the ages of four to ten. These included an unseen hand rocking my bed on a nightly basis for several months and hearing an argument between a man and a woman for roughly the same period of time that wasn't from any living occupants in the house.

Like you being raised up towards your ceiling, I found the nightly rocking comforting in an odd way. Although I have no solid answer for why you levitated multiple times as a six year old, it would seem that you were more open and receptive to the paranormal at that age. It sounds like it felt pleasant. Can you recall any other unusual incidents in that house that you or others experienced? Maybe the levitation was only one dramatic piece of wider paranormal activity in the house.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-04-30)
Wow, you're so lucky!
It seems to me that you were having out of body experiences, perhaps by looking at the sky you achieved a state similar to that of deep meditation.

Given your age, it would have been difficult to understand what was going on.

Thanks for sharing this fascinating experience with us. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: