You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Comfort

Real Ghost Stories

A Comfort

 

I have a couple of experiences to share, but wanted to start with my first and most intense.

I was 10 years old, some (cough) twenty odd years ago and going through what I look back on now as a pretty tough time, though that didn't occur to me then. It was just life. My parents had recently divorced and I lived alone with my mam (northern colloquialism for Mum). She had to take on extra work after my dad left and I had recently been given my own key as I was due to start secondary school and she wouldn't be in when I came home. It was a hard time, with never enough money and so much change and turmoil.

I was obviously more anxious about the whole situation than I thought at the time, as my experience starts with a dream. Despite the time that has passed, I remember everything about that night with such clarity, like it was yesterday.

I remember I was dreaming that I'd lost my newly acquired door key at the deep end of the secondary school's swimming pool (I know, deep, right?) when I was awoken by someone sitting on my bed. I was laid on my side, facing the wall and I had a cabin bed, which is a raised bed a few feet from the floor, which was accessed by a small ladder.

I immediately tensed. My mam never sat on my bed when she tucked me in. She had to stand on her tiptoes to kiss me goodnight. She most certainly wasn't going to climb a ladder to sit with me and I just knew it wasn't her. There was no one else in the house, we lived alone.

I could feel the pressure in the small of my back as someone leaned against me and began to run their hands up and down my side on top of the covers, in a comforting way. The way you would when you smooth the covers when you tuck your child in and if you were soothing them off to sleep. It was in no way threatening. Despite that, I was frightened. I laid with my face to the wall and didn't dare move. I kept thinking "don't let them know you're awake" and tried to regulate my breathing.

After what felt like forever, but most likely was minutes, half an hour at most, I heard my mam get up and go to the bathroom. Still facing the wall and not moving, I shouted "Mam, have you been in my room?" She replied, "No, why?" and I asked her to come in. During this, I could still feel the pressure on my back and the weight on my bed, though the movement of hands had stopped. As soon as I asked her to come to me, the pressure eased and disappeared.

She came in and I told her what had happened. As I was explaining, and I was showing her where the pressure was, we realised that despite it being a warm time of year and the rest of the duvet being room temperature, that spot was icy, icy cold. My mam told me not to worry, that it was the living we should be scared of, not the dead. She had no idea who it could be, having not lost any close relatives recently, but we agreed it meant no harm, only comfort.

It never happened again, though I did always get a weird feeling in that room, and never felt wholly comfortable, and in the end I moved into the spare room.

My poor little mam was taken away from me a few years ago after a ridiculously short battle with a very aggressive cancer and I miss her every day still. I wonder why she doesn't visit me, despite us both believing and me sharing that experience with her, but there are many things I don't understand about that kind of thing. A couple of things have happened since her death, but nothing conclusive. I'd love to speak to her just one more time, though I'm not sure the mediums in my area are particularly reputable and I don't want to risk a bad experience on something so important.

I did toy with the idea that the "ghost" which visited me when I was 10 may have been me when I die in the future or even my mam after she died. Surely time has no relevance when you're dead, and I/she wanted to show me when I was younger, that it would be ok in the end. I don't know. I've never shared that with anyone, it sounds crazy when I say it.

Anyway, I'd absolutely love to hear your thoughts on it all. Thank you.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LadyMadonna, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Pink496 (guest)
 
6 years ago (2018-06-09)
Hey there! Thank you for sharing your story! I agree with you about What you said about how time works on the other side. I think that maybe your right that it was your mom. I am sorry to hear about your moms passing away.
All the best
Pink496
Darkfox (guest)
 
6 years ago (2018-05-29)
Lady Madonna,.
It is really a painful feeling losing your loved ones, and it becomes really intense if the loved one is really close to you, especially your mother. I hope her to rest in peace. While reading your story, my eyes were numb with tears and I was wondering that I am very fortunate to have both of my parents with me right now. People say that time heals everything but it's not entirely true, time never heals anything, it just teaches you to deal with the pain. Last year, I lost my sister fighting with blood cancer, it may not be the same as you're facing, but it really devastated me, we siblings were always close to each other, I really miss her now while writing this. My words may not be comforting, but I really know this feeling of pain, it's really unexplainable. It was a great pleasure to read your story. And again condolences on the loss of your mother. ❤
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+3
6 years ago (2018-05-28)
LadyMadonna,
Loosing a parent is very hard. I've lost both of mine, one to a very long and sadistic illness, the other rather abruptly. I'm not sure you'll find comfort in what I say, but it is better they go quickly than languish away suffering. Not that it diminishes the hurt of loosing them, but it is better for them.
The call on your visitor as a child is a tough one. It may have been one just passing by, or a someone who passed decades before. Although the future you or your mam coming from the future is an interesting thought.
In my experience, you don't always get signs because you WANT them, but when you NEED them. And the only validation you'll need that it is her is your heart. You'll just know.
LadyMadonna (1 stories) (1 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-05-28)
Hi Dee, thank you for your kind words. I'm sorry to hear about your mum also. It sure is a unique pain.

You are completely right, there have been small signs, but I was waiting for the big old dirty neon flashing light.

Thank you for your response. I look forward to hearing from others on their theories too.

Thank you 😊
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-05-26)
LadyMadonna,

My condolences on the loss of your mother. Your account made me think of my own mother who passed almost 17 years ago. She also believed in spirits, life after death contact, etc. I believe your mam is trying to show you she's around. I think we sometimes expect a huge blaring sign from our loved ones, but most often, the signs are small, subtle and meaningful.

As for your late night 'visitor', it does sound like they meant to be comforting. Although as a child, it can be frightening. It's that pesky 'unknown zone'. We may not see it, but can feel it and sometimes smell it.

That's an interesting theory about time; maybe a parallel universe, time slip,...? I'm not sure. I know there are several members who can offer intelligent ideas regarding this, hopefully they chime in. 😊

Thanks for sharing,

Dee

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: