You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Rising Star, Indians Drums, And Singing

Real Ghost Stories

The Rising Star, Indians Drums, And Singing

 

I have 2 experiences I want to share that I personally feel tie into each other and that recently I can't get off my mind. The first is a UFO that I feel is linked to the Native drumming and singing. After I tell the story I want to go into some background of the life on the farm because after reading some other stories of the same native drumming and singing I feel there is a lot in common besides the out of the normal experience others and my self have had.

As a kid I spent every summer on my grandparents old farm, which is now called Crane Kettle Farms near Stockton Missouri.

One evening as the sun was getting close to the horizon my grandfather, brother, and my self were sitting on the front porch looking out over the farm when beyond the tree line we watched what looked like a star rise up, stop, and then shoot off like a shooting star. We all looked at each other in disbelief. I'm not sure how old I was. I would say from 10 to 12 years old.

The second experience I had took place after the sighting and not sure how many years after, but I know it was after. It was about the same time as the ufo sighting. My brother, cousin, and I were just getting done putting up the chickens, ducks, and geese when we were walking back to the house and started to very faintly hear native drumming and singing. We could see a good ways around us especially in the direction the sound seemed to be coming from. When the sound got closer and closer and louder and louder very quickly. It was right up on us and yet we saw nothing. It seemed like what you would expect if anybody thought of native singing and drumming. I saw my grandmother come out the house on the front porch and I took off running. When I looked back I saw my brother shaking my cousin which had turned completely white and scared stiff.

I have recently looked up the indian tribes in the area and see that it is or was Osage territory so I looked into their beliefs and try to find out about some of their folk lore and came across some stuff I found interesting.

The Osage believe that the star people came down to guide the people of earth from their bad ways. Which makes me think about the star that rose from the tree line and shot off. It makes me feel like maybe there is some truth to that because I know what I saw.

I also came across a story recently about drummers. I forget the story so I'm going to paraphrase like no other. Basically there came a point when the youth were pretty much becoming sissy horn dogs and making fun of the old ways of hard work being a man of courage and so forth. The young ones would drum when when the older ones would drum and make fun of everything the older ones did. Lol kind of like youth today. What I also read is you had to earn your way into the spirit world or when you die your spirit will roam earth. I recently thought maybe the drumming is the spirits of these younger ones that made fun of the ways of the tribe and didn't earn the way into the spirit world. Just a thought. I now know others in different states have experienced the same thing so I'm not sure I can say it retains to the Osage. But many tribes had very similar stories and beliefs.

About the farm and my time up there.

The farm was really kind of in the middle of nowhere. It was always mostly just me and my brother. No other kids, but sometimes other cousins might hang out for a few days and then we didn't see them until next summer. It was close to about 80 acres with cows and chickens and what not that I mentioned earlier. I spent many days roaming the farm by myself hanging out and even sleeping with the cows. There was one I could lay against and she wouldn't get up until I got up. Playing with frogs and fishing in the pond finding clams or oysters in the creeks, catching crawdads, just running around be a curious a boy trying to entertain himself anyway I could find. I can remember being as young as 8 or 9 doing this all by myself.

My mom use to tell us as the sun sets or at night she could hear the drumming and singing sometimes. I didn't believe her but now I know she was not making it up.

Well that's about it. I would really like to hear from others rather its the same type of experience or just your own opinion or insight.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RoamCuriously, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Okcrev320 (1 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-09-08)
I have experienced this. Twice actually. Not the ufo part but the Native American singing and drumming. I lived in rural central Oklahoma and both times was outside by myself.
Socracy5 (3 stories) (64 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-06-07)
It's been a while since I came across such spontaneous stories, quite intriguing. The beliefs of the Osage tribe sounds somewhat spooky to me, especially the youth banging drums not able to pass the portals of the tomb because they don't want to appreciate the methods of their old fellows.

Still everyone's opinion should be respected. And as a matter of fact,I'm pretty curious about that UFO, Is it actually the ancestral spirits of their tribe?... Or is it something else you've witnessed? And I'm not doubting your belief but what made you think that the drumming /singing is related to the UFO sighting, I'm just curious so, I would be glad if you respond.

Regards
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-06-05)
I didn't realize how wide spread this phenomenon was until I stumbled on an old story like this on here. These stories really fascinate me. I wonder if you ever found arrow heads or drawings anywhere carved in stone or anything as well.
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-06-05)
Hi,
I normally only post, when I have something to say. I grew up on a hilly N.E. Farm in the 50s-60s. During my younger years I was given vast freedom and spent my summer days with the animals when ever I could. I was given the job of taming the calves, they would join a herd of milking cows when grown. My Dad gave me credit through the years, as the cows I had tamed were his best milkers. That meaning, those cows produced a larger amount of rich milk.

Freshca was my favorite calf, I spent more time with her. I recall my Dad looking in on me and Freshca, catching my calf licking the back of my neck as I lay beside her, where I had fallen into a nap. Please don't laugh at this statement, I was convinced that my calf and I talked to each other, in humming tones.

Being one with the land seems to bring you closer to nature and to the past. Along those lines, I too heard a drumming sound and a low chant, often blending with the slow trickle of a small brook I fished at. The Northeast American Native once ruled and lived in those lands, and for those who care to listen they still speak. Usually speaking to the children, who have young ears, and relaxed free time. When grown, life has a way of taking that ability away.

Thank you for reminding me of that innocent time. I believe you were tuned into nature and it's past.

The flying star or what ever, don't think I ever saw that. I guess I was too tired from all that farm work to be up in the dark!
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-06-04)
RoamCuriously,

Your time at your grandparents farm sounds magical! I can imagine it in my mind. The UFO sounds exactly like... Well, a UFO. Your description is similar to accounts I've read and people I've spoken to. I also believe that I've seen one. It's hard to wrap your mind around the quick movements/maneuvers, lighting and lack of sound. It left me in awe. 😊

I don't have an explanation for the drumming and chanting. I know I've read similar accounts on here though. I wonder: Were you frightened when you first heard it or after seeing your grandmother's and cousin's reactions? I was thinking that as a child, we seem to be more open and curious to these strange events. The experience sounds amazing, but I understand feeling frightened.

I was going to say the UFO and drumming/chanting may not be related, but after reading about your research, I can see how you've linked the two experiences. I'm glad you included the Osage information, I found it fascinating.

Thanks for a great read!
-Dee
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-06-04)
All of what you describe sounds so incredibly beautiful! Maybe you were able to hear the drums because at such a young age, spending so much time out there alone, you made an unusually profound connection with the land. Your mother, when she heard it may have been experiencing the same thing but only in brief moments when her mind wandered free of typical worldly concerns.

I think a lot can be learned from native oral traditions. I took part in a huge project in University aimed at using archeological research to prove the veracity of local oral traditions especially where the migrations and habitation patterns of a specific people were concerned so that they might be able to prove in court that they had been on their land not merely since the government had designated the area as a reservation but since time immemorial. Our results absolutely supported the information handed down in the oral traditions.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: