You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Medieval Hotel

Real Ghost Stories

Medieval Hotel

 

This all happened around 20 years ago but I can still remember it as though it happened yesterday.

The hotel is stunningly beautiful it dates back to medieval times, there are parts of it that are still the original wood paneling walls, and the main window on the staircase is the original one of that day. The gardens are amazing, it is really a beautiful place.

My husband and I were invited to a wedding and guests were offered special rates for rooms if we wished to stay, which we did, we were booked into the Chapel Room. On arrival we dropped our bags and then headed off to the wedding which was being held in the hotel grounds. The wedding was beautiful.

We all then gathered onto the patio area and had drinks and met up with friends and family not seen for years. After this we gathered into the most stunning room I've ever seen, I thought I had gone back to medieval days. The tables were all solid old wood and we sat on benches the length of the room, all our utensils were metal, goblets and plates, and we eat with wooden spoons. The food was a medieval hog roast, there was a joker going round telling jokes and singing. All in all a totally fabulous time. The evening was dancing to a live band and at the end of the night a few of us stragglers had a nightcap in the bar and went to bed exhausted.

Now what I am about to explain I had confirmed the next day by the hotel manager. He said not everyone that stayed had witnessed this I was one of probably 10.

We went to bed exhausted and fell asleep immediately. I was woken by a chiming clock that was just down the hall from our room, I looked at my watch at it said 02.00. I got out of bed to get a drink of water from the bathroom and I heard a woman crying, in fact she was sobbing quite hard and loud. I listened carefully and it sounded very much like it was outside our bedroom door so I gently opened the door and I could see at the end of the hall was a woman in a long white gown. For a split second I thought it was the bride. I walked down the hall and as I was walking I asked if she was ok and could I help her. The figure became more transparent the closer I got and then just disappeared...gone. For a second I stood there and it was as though I was sleepwalking, I kind of thought what the hell am I doing out in the hall and couldn't remember anything. I returned to our room and got back into bed but as I did the clock in the hall chimed again and I checked my watch it said 04.00. Was I really out in the hall for 2 hours?

The next morning we went down for breakfast and I spoke with the hotel manager at the desk. I told him not to laugh at what I was about to tell him. I told him what I had witnessed in the early hours. He ushered me to a side office and asked me to sit down. He basically told me the whole story and yes a few people had heard and witnessed what I had... At exactly 02. 00 and the clock chiming woke them up also, but the clock has no workings in it it is a replica for show only. The hotel manager told me that no one knows who the woman is or why she was sobbing but on one particular night every year the clock chimes at 02. 00 and she walks the hall, he then told me that the clock chimes again at 04.00. He told me he had tried to trace the history of the hotel which dates back to the Knights of the Templar, but he cannot find anything out. He also said that she has been seen running through the grounds.

When I look back on that day and evening I can remember one more thing... I saw that woman dancing in the main hall.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, samlevi, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Linjahaha (24 stories) (126 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-03-23)
This just 'may' be a Residue haunting as 'that' is what it sounds like. It may be that something happened to that woman a long time ago, & it was so painful, & traumatic to that individual that her strongest emotions, or memories are rooted there to be repeated over, & over again. Strong emotions can imprint strong energies in the atmosphere. Go to Gettysburg, PA., & you'll encounter those types of hauntings.
A residue haunting in not actually an intelligent haunting. In other words, the ghost/spirit does not interact with you, or even notice your presence. It similar to that of a tape recording. Excuse me. Similar to a video tape imprinted on the atmosphere. Like a scheduled T.V. Show that is shown on the same day, & at the same time. This kind of incident just repeats itself. Sometimes on the anniversary of the actual event. It never fluctuates, & merely plays over, & over again. I'm not sure how anyone would deal, or remedy something like that. The Ghost Adventures crew would love it, lol!
I enjoyed the story, & maybe you caught something in your photos! 😁
karine (6 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-10-23)
Loved this story. Would you be interested in speaking with me for a TV show?
Thanks very much.
K
Socracy5 (3 stories) (64 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-06-24)
Samlevi,

Your story is well told, I agree the character of the woman is oddly mysterious. Still a question, you mentioned that you saw that woman dancing, could you tell exactly when?, Was she dancing alone in the hall or she was dancing with the crowd?.

I'm not sure if your familiar with the stories which speak of past incidents repeating themselves at intervals but still it could be that you've witnessed a flashback of the events which already occurred, you see, certain things either happy or sad leave behind the imprints of their occurrence. The strong the emotions attached to it the long the imprints stay. Most probably something must've happened in the past as you say it dates back to the medieval times, most accurately at the intervals between 2.00 and 4.00 and that incident repeats itself at the exact date and time it occurs,

I guess it could help if you would trace the exact date of this happening from other witnesses too. Maybe it could reveal some information about this incident, atleast any clue to figure out the woman.

Regards
rynne (69 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-06-21)
Agree with the replies here, an interesting experience and would be more interesting to know if wedding pictures reveal more information. Like lady-glow, I too wondered about the clothing. What kind of jewelry if any did you notice? Clothing design would give revealing information though. Thank you for sharing.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-06-20)
Interesting and puzzling story.

When you saw the woman dancing and, later, on the hallway - was she wearing the same gown? Would you be able to date her dress to an specific era? Did she stand out from the rest of the guests?

Like Dank, I wonder if her image shows in any pictures.
Thanks for sharing.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-06-19)
Samlevi,

Fascinating experience. What is the name of the hotel and where is it located? I'm sure other members will be interested in this information too.

Does the woman appear every year? Did the hotel manager say that other guests experienced the same thing that night too? The 2 hour time loss... I've read about that on here. Perhaps a time slip? Very intriguing. Hopefully, you can share more details.

Thanks for sharing ❤
Dee
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-06-19)
Samlevi, Wow! That's an amazing story. I do have a couple of questions. First, when you say you saw the woman dancing in the main hall, was it during an actual dance? In other words, was it just some random woman dancing in the hall, or was there a gathering and she was just in the crowd?

Second, just so I'm clear on this, you weren't actually out in the hall for a couple of hours, it was just the haunted chiming of the clock? For instance, the clock strikes 2, you go in the hall and are there for a short time, but the clock then strikes 4 and you head back to your room. But in actuality only a short time passed?

I really like your story. I'm wondering if anyone has ever gotten any pictures of this woman. If the staff know the night and the routine, it seems like they may have investigated.

Thanks for sharing your story!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: