You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Battle At Little Bighorn

Real Ghost Stories

Battle At Little Bighorn

 

In Montana driving from Pine Ridge Rez in South Dakota to catch a flight in Billings the next afternoon. Late that day I came upon the national historic site of Little Bighorn Battlefield, aka. Custer's Last Stand, aka. The Greasy Grass Creek.

I had no plans to stop here, I saw it on the map though. I figured what the heck, it's not closed and I have plenty of time so I turned off. I went to the graveyard beside the visitor center first and thought, 'this is it?" I then went to the visitor center to learn that I could drive across the beautiful rolling hills to view where these unfortunate, deadly battles happened. I had time to go to a couple pull-overs before the park closed so I took off in my rental.

I parked and walked over to the overview while diverting my eyes towards the ground. When I looked out onto the hills at the over-look, I saw calvary men and native people fighting. I immediately shook my head back and forth in disbelief, similar to a dog shaking when wet. Once I shook my head, I did not see anything so I carried on with my investigation of marked graves and the natural environment. I forgot about the battle experience before walking back to my rental. Things similar to this have happened to me before and I just count it as another experience.

I drove to the next over-look and once again was looking at the ground as I walked, totally oblivious to much if any thoughts. I looked out upon the hills and saw another battle, a different battle. I could see some men on horses and some on foot fighting with guns and hand held weapons. It slowly dissipated. By now, it is time to leave because they are closing. I found a campsite not too far away, I was going to drive closer to Billings and hang out there until my flight but after this experience there was no way I was going to leave without finding out if this would happen again.

The next morning, I was waiting at the gate before they opened it for the day. I immediately drove to the further over-looks and at each and every one I saw a battle occurring, all different from the previous. So now I am wondering why I would see these things, more on that latter.

I still had a little time to spare so I decided to walk on the little nature trail behind the visitor center to look for wildlfowers and rattlesnakes to photograph. I happen to like to identify wildlife of all kinds but am especially fond of snakes.

I photographed a few wildflowers as I walked along the path and then, I was stopped dead, as if I hit a brick wall. I could not walk further and I felt as if there were dead bodies everywhere. I looked around, still not able to move forward and did not see any marked graves. I said to myself, "you are silly, there are dead bodies here because there are not marked graves." At that point I could continue along the trail and did. When I reached the end of the trail, the kiosk basically said, this is where the deadliest of battles were fought and there are dead bodies everywhere. I thought, "well there you go." At this point I regrettably had to continue my travels to catch my flight.

I was at a Native Sundance in southeast South Dakota a few years after I visited the battlefield and had a chance to speak with an elder. I asked why it is that I have so many experiences at native sites and or reservations. I told him of this experience and another at Canyon de Chelley in Arizona. He said I was meant to be a bridge of sorts between native people and non-natives.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, naturehiker, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

naturestacey (2 stories) (3 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-10-28)
Thank you all for your responses. I wrote about another experience in Canyon de Chelley.
Kest (12 stories) (55 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-03)
Welcome! It is hard to say why you see these things. However, I grew up in Montana and remember visiting the battlefield as a teen. The area is known to have activity. When I visited it was a windless day, but I'd see grass moving as if people were moving in that grass. You would think it was the wind. I would run toward that grass and it'd stop just as I got close, but a little ways away from me it would start moving again. I suppose it could have been an animal, but I like to think it was something more. I hope you will take time to share with us more of your experiences. I like your style of writing.
Jubeele (25 stories) (885 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-27)
Hi naturehiker, beautiful Montana is one of the places I'd love to visit. I believe that such locations where momentous events took place would reverberate strongly with echoes long after the history books have faded. It's fascinating how you were able to experience different aspects of the battle, depending on where you stood.

Your experience reminds me of the time we were at Drumossie Moor, near Inverness, Scotland, where the Battle of Culloden was fought. So many red and blue flags all over the field overgrown with wildflowers. The mist was rolling in and a light drizzle had started. Suddenly I wanted to burst into tears. The feeling of heaviness didn't lift until we drove some distance away.

Thanks for sharing this intriguing account. I hope to read more of your experiences at other native sites.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-25)
Welcome to YGS Naturehiker,

Fascinating experience. I'm sure there are some poor souls reenacting their last moments, as well as residual activity in that area. I was going to ask if you have experienced this before, but see you already mentioned it in your account.

Someday, I hope to visit Montana. My father has and still speaks of how beautiful it is. 😊

Thank you for sharing,
Dee

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: