You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: In the Attic

Real Ghost Stories

In the Attic

 

When I was smaller, the attic to my house was used for storage and nothing special, really. I never went up there, hence there was no AC up there, nor a heater. But in the summer or 2005, my attic was redone, and now it is play a room for my sister and I. There are 2 TVs up there, a couch, and one window. There are also 2 closet doors for storage. They stay cold, dark, and dank all year round.

It all started in the attic when I turned off my video game, and the TV started thumping from inside, sounding like a heartbeat. (This still goes on, mind you.) and I just blew this off, and thought nothing of it.

The only next thing that really awakened me was my friend Kim and I were in one of the closets. We just opened the door, and turned on the light; soon after, we were standing on opposite sides of the closet space. We were standing still, and a picture slid off the box it was sitting on and onto the floor, with a loud thump. There were no drafts, no way Kim or me could've made that box or picture settle.

Soon after this, nothing went on for a while. But, one night as I was sitting up on my couch in the living room, I heard what sounded like footsteps running along my furnace in the hallway. I got up, went to walk down the hallway only to find nothing wrong. I turned around and headed for the living room again; however, when I was completely turned around, the attic door slammed and settled. The window was not open, because I rushed up there to check. I saw nothing.

There have been no other particular things going on besides this. And, this house is only 15 years old, built by my stepfather himself. The only other weird encounter I recall is being three years old in my parent's bed, seeing some kind of freaky animal crawling in my hallway, heading towards me. My parents say I was scared that night and that they had to slip the lights on 3 times before I would sleep.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Alabama

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, kaityDIAMONDS, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

penguinluverS (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-28)
Ya have you ever told your parents about this? And maybe the land that your house is on is haunted? Do you know if there was any indians that lived there?
Keep me posted! ❤ penguinluverS
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-28)
Nice pun, Fraw! Me loveth a good pun.

And WB, nice take on seemingly supernatural things with completely natural sources.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-27)
whitebuffalo I had to laugh. My icemaker does the same thing and it's only 3 years old. First time I heard it it was like what the heck? Also my toaster oven will do the same thing if left on a cycle instead of in the off position. Mystery solved.
As for this story I never heard of a attic closet being dank. Cellar yes. Attic no. Not saying it isn't just saying that's unusual but then I don't live in a wet climate. Hope the thing you saw at age 3 isn't what's floating around the house from time to time. Drafts can come from anywhere even a window that's closed because there can always be air gaps. Was it windy that day?
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
That was GOOD! I like that. 😆 Now I am jealous that my thought pattern did not slide that way!

I am on my hubby's new laptop and I WAY do not like this thing. It takes forever to do something that on my puter takes me five minutes.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
Sorry, my computer froze and when I came back to it I hit the wrong button. I did not mean to post twice 😕
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
Hey WB, maybe your ice maker thinks it`a an ice s-cream maker 😆. Sorry couldn`t pass it up.

FRAWIN 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
An interesting thing happened to me this morning. My husband took the children off to their perspective sitters for the work day and I was alone in our house. There were a few hours before I needed to leave, and we are having company over for supper, so I thought to clean our house.
So, I booted up the computer.
The next time I looked up at the clock it was about fifteen minutes until I needed to get out of the house, so I did the everyday before work things that needed to be done. As I approached the icebox (Uh, refrigerator for most of you) I heard a real faint screaming. One of those long drawn out, you wonder how this person had so much air in their lungs scream. Instantly I went on guard. I walked around trying to find the source, all the while keeping an eye on the clock. I noticed that the closer I got to the appliances in the kitchen, the more I could make out the sound. I opened the oven, some cupboards and then the icebox. Nothing. And still the scream carried on.
I put my coat on, thinking that I would have to check things out again when I returned home and the icebox's cycle must have ended as it shuttered to a stand still and all was silent. No scream.
I think I need to replace my ice maker.
Thank you.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
An interesting thing happened to me this morning. My husband took the children off to their perspective sitters for the work day and I was alone in our house. There were a few hours before I needed to leave, and we are having company over for supper, so I thought to clean our house.
So, I booted up the computer.
The next time I looked up at the clock it was about fifteen minutes until I needed to get out of the house, so I did the everyday before work things that needed to be done. As I approached the icebox (Uh, refrigerator for most of you) I heard a real faint screaming. One of those long drawn out, you wonder how this person had so much air in their lungs scream. Instantly I went on guard. I walked around trying to find the source, all the while keeping an eye on the clock. I noticed that the closer I got to the appliances in the kitchen, the more I could make out the sound. I opened the oven, some cupboards and then the icebox. Nothing. And still the scream carried on.
I put my coat on, thinking that I would have to check things out again when I returned home and the icebox's cycle must have ended as it shuttered to a stand still and all was silent. No scream.
I think I need to replace my ice maker.
Thank you.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
kaity, I think this is just a case of an active imagination. These things seem as if they could be explained by things other than the supernatural. Sorry but this one just doesn't convince me.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
Hmmmmm, is right. My "skepto-meter" is clicking like a teletype and the red flags are sprouting up like dandelions in springtime.

FRAWIN 🤔 🤔
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
hmmmmm, I will reserve comment for later. I would like to know if you have spoken to your parents about these occurances?

God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: