You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Goodbye And Proof From Dad

Real Ghost Stories

Goodbye And Proof From Dad

 

My dad passed away suddenly and unexpectedly about a year and a half ago. I've hesitated to post the series of experiences that I had afterward but after reading many inspiring personal experiences on this site, I've decided to go ahead. Maybe someone will be inspired by them, I certainly was. The first three events were highly uncanny and were things that I always say are too unlikely to be coincidences, yet at the same time there was always that few percent chance that they could just be coincidences lurking in the back of my mind. The fourth was hands down, no doubt a spiritual visit from my dad, something he made obvious was him.

1st experience-

I was driving to work one morning with my carpooler in the passenger seat. My brother, crying heavily, called and told me. The news put me in a kind of shock, my mind just went blank basically, my chest and throat tightened up and I could barely talk. The fact that I was driving on the highway at 70 mph in heavy traffic didn't help either. Yes, I admit I answered my cell phone while driving, bad I know. Somehow, I choked out to my brother that I couldn't talk and I would be at the hospital with him and his family asap, dropped my carpooler off and headed back on the 45 minute drive. As I drove, my thoughts and emotions gradually came back to me. By the time I was going down the steep mountain pass halfway back, I was in turmoil, crying and sobbing uncontrollably. Suddenly, I felt my dad's voice in my mind telling me "I'm already gone, don't kill yourself." I didn't hear this, but felt it come from nowhere into my mind. As soon as I felt this, I realized I was barreling down the pass at about 20 mph over the limit and slowed down to a safe speed. Also, as I felt his voice, an extreme feeling of calm came over me instantly. I'm a high-strung person and usually, it takes me a long time to calm down from being that upset, so it was very strange and comforting. I know I'm admitting a bad thing about myself with these driving habits, but it's an important part of what happened.

Like I mentioned, I thought this could have just been my subconscious mind in a moment of extreme emotion while my dad was all that was on my mind. But wait until you read what happened next.

2nd experience-

This one may sound a little goofy at first, but it seems like each experience became more obvious, more of a sign to us (my daughter saw this one. She and my wife both saw the 3rd one).

My daughter and I like to watch cartoons together on youtube. About 4 nights after my dad passed, we were thinking of what to watch. All the sudden, Mr. Magoo popped into my mind. We had watched a couple episodes of the original series about a year and a half previously, but I hadn't even thought of it since. We watched the first episode that came up on the search. Within the first minute, it shows Mr. Magoo driving into "Wide Sands Rocket Range" which is obviously supposed to be White Sands Missile Range. Now, the uncanny thing is that I work there, and I moved back from out of state to take the job so I could be close to my dad! He passed away 6 days before I started.

It gets better- Magoo stops at the gate to talk to a military policeman, who then let\'s him by. The scene ends with a full frontal salute from the policeman. My dad was an MP there before he retired! My jaw almost hit the floor when I saw this and I started thinking "what the heck are the odds?!?" This is when I really started thinking spiritual activity might be afoot. I printed out the full page salute scene and have it hanging in my hobby room/'man cave'

3rd experience-

This one was impressive, epic I would even say. My two brothers and I had decided to spread my dad's ashes in the local mountains like he had told my younger bro he wanted long ago. As teenagers, my bros and I had camped once in a certain spot and ran out of water. Our dad knew we hadn't taken enough and hiked a 6 gallon container out to us.

We decided to spread the ashes in that area, but one brother changed his mind and wanted us to meet him at a more easily accessible spot. Now, this is going to sound incredible, and I don't know if I would believe it if someone else told me; but as my wife, daughter and I were driving toward the mountains, we saw a rainbow shaped like the letter V. It was a little above the mountains and was actually moving down, pointing to the area where my dad had brought the water to us!

Later, when we opened the container of my dads' ashes, my brother read the inscription and said 'It has V as his middle initial'. His middle initial is W. We hadn't told anyone what we saw.

Once again, the power of the mind to bring up doubts is amazing. Even though I knew deep down it was his spirit, I had that same slight feeling in my mind that I might be seeing things I want to see by knitting together chance events with wishful thinking.

4th experience-

One night, several months after he passed, my daughter and I were in the living room, she was on the couch watching a cartoon and I was standing behind the couch watching too. My wife was taking a shower on the other side of the house. One of our cats was asleep in the bedroom on the other side of the house and the other was lying on the rug in front of the couch. The kitchen sink counter is about 20 feet away from the couch, behind that; there is our dining corner with 3 big windows looking out on the back yard.

It was a calm evening and everything was pretty quiet, the volume on the TV was low. Suddenly my head jerked instinctively toward the windows because I heard a very loud, fast knocking from that general area, 5 or 6 knocks. Usually, I would freak out if someone did that in the night and worry that it was a criminal trying to get in, but it sounded more like it was inside the house than outside, and almost immediately after I looked over there, I noticed a dishwashing brush on the kitchen counter rocking back and forth very fast.

For some reason, I instantly forgot about the knocks. It seemed like the possibility that there was any danger dropped completely from my mind, and the fear along with it. I just stared at the brush as it rocked for a few seconds and gradually stopped. It was as if I immediately knew it was a spiritual movement, because it was physically impossible otherwise. No windows or doors were open to cause a breeze. The house wasn't shaking because no other objects moved at all. My daughter saw the brush move before me and said that it was moving super fast when she first noticed it and that "A power was moving it and then let it go." Amazing how kids perceive these things isn't it?

Our cat always gets very nervous when she hears sudden knocks and would usually have jumped up and freaked out because this was a very startling and loud knocking, but strangely, she didn't seem to worry about it. My dad used to take care of her, so maybe she knew that it was just granddad?

My daughter and I both tried to move the brush as fast as we saw it rocking, but it was impossible to make it move anywhere near as fast. Also, when it rocked "by itself", it was stuck exactly to one spot. When we tried to rock it really fast, we couldn't do it without it sliding around a bit.

If just the knock had happened, with no visual confirmation, I would have written it off as a neighborhood kid pulling a prank, knocking hard on a window and running away.

I told my daughter to write the date and time down in her diary so we could remember when it happened.

One strange thing looking back is that for the first few days after, the possibility of it being my dad didn't really come to mind! I was thinking that maybe one of the previous owners had passed away and was visiting her/his house one last time (We bought the house from a couple in their late 80s). Or it could have been a friend of mine in his 70s who is currently in prison. I checked both of these possibilities and no, all were still living.

I suppose that the unsure part of me really needed to be shown for sure because after this I found myself looking every day at a photo of my dad and myself that my wife had put on my dresser shortly after he passed. I started talking to him. I felt kind of silly sometimes, but I would ask him every day to give me a definite sign if the things that had happened were done by him. Maybe he could change some detail of the picture to let me know for sure, that would be impressive, I told him. Over the course of a couple of weeks or so, I memorized every tiniest detail of the photo and suggested things that he might change to show me a sign for sure, maybe have only one pinecone in his hand instead of two, or make himself wearing his glasses instead of them being in his shirt pocket?

Well you know what? My dad seems to be more creative than me. One day, I thought of something obvious in the picture that I hadn't paid much attention to before. In the bottom right corner is a date and time stamp with the bottom half cut off. I had seen it a dozen times, but for some strange reason never thought to check the date and time! It was a little hard to read at first, but it was 11/26/2009. That was Thanksgiving Day that year. The proverbial light bulb went off over my head (finally!) and I yelled to my daughter who was down the hall in her room "Hey, look in your diary, what day did we see that brush rocking by itself?"

A minute later she said "It says 11/26". The wonder of whole series of experiences came full circle to me. I asked her what time she had written down. She said 6:02 or 6:03. The picture says 5:57. OK close enough I thought. When it happened, there was a short delay of maybe a couple minutes before I told her to write the day and time, and clocks are often a few minutes off, so it looks like he pretty much got it synchronized with the picture on the mark!

This experience showed me firsthand that time is not what we think it is, the future, past and present kind of seem to happen at the same time, or in any chosen order. My dad was a long time player of role playing games and he loved being a "dungeon master" when he played Dungeons and Dragons games with his friends even before most people had home computers.

We would sometimes talk about what we thought happens after death. A few years ago after I told him I think there are endless copies and versions of every person in our infinite universe, he told me that when he goes, he'll be looking down from somewhere in the infinite universe and he would "mess around with people" like a real life dungeon master.

Other hauntings by Berggraf38

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Berggraf38, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Berggraf38 (3 stories) (22 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-10)
Thanks everyone for your kind comments and interesting replies!
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-10)
Hi, Berggraf -

My condolences for the loss of your father. I don't believe that what you experienced were coincidences. Your father was visiting you and letting you know he was still around. He certainly kept his word about "messing around with people". 😉

Regards,
Haven
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (308 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-10)
My condolences for the loss of your father. I lost my Mamaw who was like a second mother to me, in June of last year. I too started to notice little odd things happening around us, only a few days after her passing. I actually just submitted my experience with her, so hopefully it will be up here to read soon. I've been wanting to share my experience of her for a while now too, but like you, putting it all down to tell others about, took me some time to be able to finally do. I'm sure to some, they would look at our experiences we had of them, as like you said, over thinking it, or wishful thinking during our time of grief, but for me, and it seems you as well, you just know that it is them trying to get your attention, and with the timing of having these types of things happen, it's hard to just write it off. So I believe if you felt that it was truly your dad checking in on you, then it was him. I know for me, I believe what I experienced was without a doubt my Mamaw checking in on me. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, as I'm sure it was a very meaningful one. I hope you and your family has a Merry Christmas!
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-10)
Berggraf - It seems that you were very close to your father and that his untimely passing was a huge shock to you. My sincere condolences.

The events which you have described surpass coincidence and I do believe that your father was communicating with you.

I think many people have passed loved ones trying to communicate with them but are totally oblivious to the fact, so consider yourself one of the fortunate ones!

Regards, Melda
Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-09)
Hello Berggraf38 and Biblio,

Bergraff38,

Your post was very detailed and left me with no questions.

I'm sorry to hear about your father, my condolences to you and your family.

Looks Like your dad is still with you. He's communicating using Mr Magoo and utensils around your home.

Biblio,

I always have to read your comments over and over again. You are so intelligent. Your words are beyond wise and being informative. I learn something new every time.

I wish I had you as my English teacher when I was in school. As much as I loved English and paid attention, I didn't get 100% from my classes. I think in those days our teachers had so many children to teach that it may have been hard to focus on individuals.

Best wishes,
😘 ❤ 😘
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-09)
Greetings, Berggraf.

You have my sympathies on the death of your father. While you state "it was a year and a half ago," it does take several years to become accustomed to the absence. I'm not sure if your father's sticking around for a while would make it any easier...

I'll pick up on one of the points that has always interested me, and that is your statement that "the future, past and present kind of seem to happen at the same time." It's more than "seem," in that "the future, past and present [do] happen at the same time." While we are aware of time passing for us chronologically in our daily experience, it's a bit like taking an elevator to the top of a tall building. The rest of the floors are there, always, but you're going from the lobby level to the restaurant with a great view; you travel past the other floors that don't really matter as much, but that doesn't mean they're not there. Time is only a factor of chronological distance; it's why some people are precognitive, others get an uneasy feeling, some know today's going to be *their* day, some are post-cognitive (which, I know from experience, can be deeply unsettling), some are good guessers, and others decide at the last minute not to follow through on their plans and are stunned when they've avoided a fatal disaster.

I've noticed that many of us with these problematic "gifts" have a hell of a problem keeping track of the sort of sequential events that everyone else seems to manage with ease (arriving on time, remembering deadlines, etc., but there may be YGSers who will disagree with this statement). The quantum level of physics does not function chronologically (see "quantum entanglement"), and that's the stuff holding up everything that exists (past, present, future, and potential). Einstein wrote "E=MC2" because it works; time is a *relative* construct that would only make the equation ineffective. The dead do not seem to be constrained by Newtonian-level temporal physics, which is in keeping with many religions' teachings that the afterlife and/or the almighty are outside of time.

Your dad may have been sticking around for a few days, subjectively, but to you the experiences were spread out over 18 months. I, for one, believe your narrative, and I applaud your foresight in telling your daughter to keep track of the date and time of the rocking brush event.

Best,
Biblio.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: