You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Dad's Haunted House

Real Ghost Stories

My Dad's Haunted House

 

My family has had many paranormal experiences but my favourite has to be the stories my Dad has told me about growing up in his haunted childhood home during the 1960s to the 1990s in Victoria, Australia. This is one of the stories told in my Dad's words and from his perspective...

Growing up my family lived in this old weatherboard house located in a then quiet town surrounded by mountains and wineries. It was like any other house on the street, a bit rundown maybe but normal on the outside. Inside though was another story; for the house was haunted. You'd hear strange noises all the time, like footsteps, knocks, bangs and even disembodied voices. Things would move on their own and doors would slam shut where there was no wind. As a kid I knew there was something in the house but I never saw apparitions. I was just always aware of the feeling of being watched by something beyond what my eyes could see.

My Dad's Haunted House

Whatever was there originated from the smaller bedroom, this was 'ITS ROOM'. My sister's stayed in there as kids and their things would be moved around or lifted, mainly the makeup that was on their dresser. When the ghost came out of the room I'd hear it open the door and walk through the house. When I'd go to check if any of my family was home there'd be no one there.

I hated the house, never liked being in there alone. When I got home from school and no one was home I would wait outside the house until someone arrived. I was too scared to step inside.

Sometimes it felt like it wanted me to be afraid, getting off on my fear. Other times it loved messing with me, making fun of me. Such as when I was running out the back door to play and I tripped over what I perceived as some small creature. I looked up but there was nothing there. I had hit the ground hard and it hurt, as I was groaning in pain I got the impression that the ghost was watching me and laughing at its malicious prank.

It always freaked me out but I had no choice but to get used to it. After a while it just felt normal to me, now I'd just get annoyed at it. But every now and then it would cause something terrifying to happen just to let me know it had power. I could only shrug it off for fear of losing my mind.

Eventually I was able to get enough money to move out and live a normal life. I never found out if anyone had died in the house, I do wonder if it's still there wondering the now empty rooms.

Other hauntings by SammyToucan-

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SammyToucan-, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Martin (602 posts) mod
 
3 years ago (2021-05-21)
Note: some new photos provided by the author have been published 📷
SammyToucan- (4 stories) (11 posts)
+1
3 years ago (2020-09-19)
Hi lady-glow, thank you for suggestion. No his family didn't do anything to remove the ghost. As far as he knows it's still there. It's been sold now and we drive by it every now and then and the house looks strangly empty. It was in the middle of renovations but they seemed to have stopped suddenly and left it.
SammyToucan- (4 stories) (11 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-09-19)
Hi Melda.
Thanks for the comment. It might have been a polteguist. It was always letting everyone know it was there. My Dad has no idea how it got there it was just always a heavy presence in the house. It loved causing mischief lol. We'll definately check out your stories 😁.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-09-19)
SammyToucan - Your dad's experiences really strike home with me. I understand how frightened he must have been at times.

I was raised in a haunted house and I was the primary target. We also had poltergeist activity in that house and I believe it was due to the fact that I had a few sisters as well. However, we had more than just poltergeist activity.

You say that the bedroom the two sisters occupied was "its room" and that items in their room would be moved. That's why I mentioned poltergeist activity. That part of the haunting could have been created by the sisters.

I believe that another entity was probably present as well, which could have caused a different type of mayhem.

I posted two stories about my experiences in my childhood home, if you or your dad would be interested in reading them. They're titled "Pulled out my eyebrows in terror", or something similar. I'm simply mentioning it so that your dad can make a comparison, if he's interested.

I can really empathise with your dad!

Regards, Melda
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-09-17)
SammyToucan.

That sounds like a nasty ghost, perhaps from a grumpy person that had difficulty leaving behind their material world or afraid of whatever could be waiting for them at the other side of the veil.

Do you know if your father's family did something to get rid if this ghost or to help it to cross over? It seems like the activity was witnessed by most members of the family but your father was the main target of the worst of it. I'm glad that he learned to, more or less, coexist with this nasty presence.

Welcome to YGS and thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: