You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: Fly High

Real Ghost Stories

Fly High

 

My hometown is rumored for witches, or in Filipino terms "aswang". Though my mother and brother said they have experiences of hearing and seeing "tiyanak", a newborn baby witch, I wasn't afraid and have second thoughts if they're really true. Because in my opinion, the very reason why my hometown is linked to witches is because of it's motto: "FLY HIGH".

Growing up, my family slowly moved to Manila and I was left in our hometown in Bicol Region with my job and my own life. My husband (who's working in Manila) and I rented a small unit in one of the villages near the foot of the hill, few blocks away from my relatives' house. My husband comes home once or twice a month while I was pregnant with our first child. I'm as well waiting for my baby's arrival before transferring in Manila to be with my family. So, I was always home alone. By the way, I got two housemates who are occupying the other room of the house I'm renting but I seldom see them because of our different schedules. But I wasn't afraid even if I'm alone at home most of the time... Until one day...

I woke up and everything was dark. I usually turn on the light outside my window but that time the only light is the one coming from the moon. My window inside the room had no curtains, so I can freely see the moon outside. There's a power interruption again. I felt like my whole body is sweaty and I don't like the humid. It's something different.

I looked outside the window and I see something on the ceiling outside my window (where the light bulb is placed). It's like a shadow of something with wings. I turned around and faced the other side of the room and covered myself with the blanket. My heart was beating very fast. I was afraid to move and look outside the window because I feel like being watched.

I grabbed my phone and checked the time. It's almost 4 a.m. I also checked some messages. I was surprised to see few messages from my cousin who's living few blocks away. The time the message was received is past three a.m. Her message is something like this: "Always bring a rosary with you and pray for your pregnancy. I did that when I was pregnant and I always felt safe." Another message from her read: "Put some garlic and salt on your window to avoid entities."

I began wondering. Is this a coincidence? Or did she felt that "something" is visiting our village? I kept on praying and hoped that the sun will shine soon. I wasn't able to go back to sleep that time and I kept on calling Jesus' name and I think, all the saints too.

When I got to work that morning, I heard some of our clients say they're leaving 'cause they wanted to see the "aswang"/witch caught by the policemen in a form of dog. I don't know if it's true because I don't want to add more fear. I was reminded of our land's caretaker who also had an experience of "manananggal" when she was pregnant. Manananggal is a woman, flying like a bat with only half of her body (until the belly) and likes to eat humans, especially children/babies or pregnant women. I called her and told her about the experience. I also told her that I need some help. I don't want to sleep alone again. Luckily, the caretaker agreed to spend every night with me in my room. I became very careful and placed a rosary under my pillow.

Days passed and I almost forgot the event. Our caretaker is still staying with me every night, except when my husband is home and I'm paying her for that. My immediate superior visited our branch two weeks after the event. She was asking me about my condition at work and at home. She told me to be patient because the company promised to transfer me in Manila after I give birth. And I told her positive things.

I was surprised when she told me about her experience when she's pregnant with her eldest. She's staying in a different city and she suddenly woke up at dawn, sweaty, and she feels like being watched. She said she was too afraid to look outside the window or to even move an inch. The next morning, her housemate (she's staying in a dormitory) who's also pregnant told her that there was a "manananggal" outside the window. And my superior confirmed that everything was not just her imagination.

And that moment, I, too realized that I wasn't imagining. I wasn't being paranoid. That text message from my cousin was not a coincidence. I did not tell her anything about the experience, but I had a feeling, my cousin warned me.

Other hauntings by MysticFrance

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MysticFrance, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

NBA777 (9 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-10-24)
To Mystic France,

What you d is true. Mannangals are true and you should be extra careful when you're pregnant again.
NBA777 (9 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-10-24)
To Mystic France,

The origin of aswang can be found worldwide in some of the ancient legends and myths, although they are called different names in many cultures. The origin of aswang / mannanagal goes back to the Biblical times of Adam and Eve. It was said that Adam had a first wife named Lilith before Eve was created. Lilith was created by God like Adam (from the ground). She was very beautiful and seductive -a femme fatale- and Adam loved her so. But Lilith considered herself equal to Adam and did not want to submit to him (the world's first feminist!). And so their marriage soon became troubled.

Adam complained about Lilith to God. And so God told Adam to divorce her and He would create Adam a new wife. This time Eve was created from Adam's rib (not the ground) and she was submissive to Adam.

Rejected by Adam and pregnant with his child, Lilith vowed revenge by killing /eating all of Eve's babies so the couple would remain childless. Lilith hoped that Adam would (when childless) then go back to her and leave Eve behind. But the couple remained together and protected their first off-springs (Cain and Able). Because of her hatred Lilith was transformed into the first aswang/mannangal and so were her descendants.

Although occasionally Lilith is able to transform back into a beautiful woman to seduce new husbands her normal state / figure is that of an ugly aswang. And so over the years Lilith's descendants have also hunted pregnant women since then.
MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-15)
Hi STARRCHICC14! Thank you for your comment. God bless you and your mom. 😊 😊
STARRCHiCC14 (31 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-15)
Hi mysticfrance! In my opinion, they really exist, especially in the provinces. My mama said that when she and my aunt was pregnant, they encountered a "manananggal" almost every night. Thank God nothing bad happened to them during their pregnancy.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-11)
lady-glow

I saw that web site too. Oh my goodness I thought vampire bats (aka flying fox) were big but those bats are HUGE!. I wonder if that bas alive or not.

Regards
Red
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-08)
Hello Red, it is all about the perceptions which actually creats from different floklore and readings. What generally in America and Ameracans belaves dosn't important that someone belonging from different culture or religion should also believes in the same.
It is all about the perceptions which may vary place to place culture to culture.

Regards
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-08)
sushantkar
To answer your jesting questions about werewolves and brooms becoming airborn. The answer to the werewolf is nobody in the U.S. Actually believes a human can become a wolf, we know it is a product of someones imagination who wrote a book years ago then movies followed.
Broom becoming airborn? Harder to answer some people can make things levitate but everyone knows you can't *ride* a broom.

Red
PoliexterLy (2 stories) (92 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-06-04)
Wow, I wish I could get payed for sleeping! That would be an awesome job 😁
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+5
8 years ago (2016-06-04)
MysticFrance: thanks for your reply.

I wonder if manananggals are giant bats, like the one in this picture: http://guff.com/believe-it-or-not-these-are-not-photoshopped/email

It is easy to understand people mistaken these amazing creatures for winged humans, specially the people living in remote villages without access to scientific information.

I'm not trying to convince you to challenge your cultural beliefs, but -are you aware of any evidence (pictures, a captured manananggal, videos, written scientific articles, etc) that could sustain the existence of these beings?

I know every culture has a well established set of beliefs that are good until questioned; the problem is, sometimes nobody is ready to probe and pock at them.
As an example, when I was a kid it was common for adults to say that if a child mouthed out his parents, the ground would open and swallow him! 😆
There was this one old lady that "saw" a man falling down a crack on the ground in the plaza of her town, and the priest came to cover him with a sombrero (hat with a very wide brim), and prayed for the salvation of his soul until the ground closed again dragging the man to the center of the planet!
I was terrified of something like that happening to me if I ever dared to answer back to my parents... As a kid I never question this "facts", but as I grew older I began questioning the truth behind the lady's story.
Come on... How on earth would there be enough room under a sombrero to cover the torso, arms and head of a grown up man?!

I apologize beforehand if my comment comes like I'm making fun of your story but: "manananggals have that special oil they apply on their body before splitting into two."
Seriously? Can you imagine the medical value of such an oil? Just to think on all the surgical procedures it could be use on... No more need to take the proper care for organs prior to transplant; the risk of a patient bleeding to his death during a surgery would be history if surgeons could just apply the oil on the open wound! And there would be no more danger of infection during surgeries!
A person could become a millionaire selling this special oil and the whole world would benefit from it.

Like I said before, I think many 'supernatural' happenings could be debunked with the proper research.
MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-04)
lady-glow, there are some other stories here about Manananggal. One that I read, the author even saw the other half of the body (lower part). I believe, manananggals have that special oil they apply on their body before splitting into two.
MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-04)
Hello. It's also hard for me to believe, but it's true. There are people in our city who have experiences, particularly that caretaker whom I asked to be with me. A manananggal's wings are big enough to cover a whole car (for example). My mom's friend have seen one when she's pregnant and driving a motorcycle. It was covering her and she wondered why she hasn't seen any shadow of her on the road.

Of course, I'm aware of the changes during pregnancy. But there are things you can't explain "logically". One is fear and intuition. No animal has that kind of huge wings, flying just outside your window.

Tweed, as for the witch caught in a form of dog, I didn't ask anymore and haven't heard of that 'coz I don't have TV that time in my place. They said it was found in another municipality, and the dog turned out to be a woman. She was put behind the bars, but I don't know what happened after.

Thank you, everyone!
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-04)
Hello LG These so called entitie's existence could be said like the same as the existence of werewolf. How a human could turned into a wolf? And how could a broom be airborn 😆
I think you have hit a nail on the point that little research could have made these cultural believes to dibunk.

4egards
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-06-04)
MysticFrance: pregnancy brings many changes to a woman's body and mind.
Sweating, anxiety, tiredness, shortness of breath, and many other things that can be explained due to the influence of hormones and the constant change of the body having to adjust to make room and provide for the little one growing inside the mother.
What you experienced fits one of the many discomforts of pregnancy... Plus the fears of your cultural beliefs.

I have heard some philippino friends talk about the manananggal, and, no offense but, -how could it be explained that a person could grow wings and detached the lower part of their body to leave it hidden somewhere during the night? Can you imagine the physical effects it would have over half of a body without the benefit of a heart pumping blood? And how the heck would all the little blood vessels and the nerves and tendons and other parts of the body would reattache after the witch is done with it's nightly feeding?

I don't expect you to answer my questions, it's only difficult for me to believe or even imagine the possibility of things like these happening, but I cannot help but wonder if a little research would debunk some of these beliefs.

Thanks for sharing.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-06-04)
Mystic, there's so much going on in your experience here. I don't know much about these entities, except what I read from those who experience them. What size was the winged shadow outside your window?
Also could you elaborate on the witch caught in the form of a dog? I can't help wondering if the police merely catch a stray dog and call it a witch. I hope that's not the case. 😕
MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-04)
Thank you, Mikado-Isha. I delivered my baby safely, with the guidance of God. After the experience, I was always cautious. Thank you.
mikado-isha (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-04)
Hello MysticFrance,
In our area also there are many witches, Blair witches, ghosts, dginns, many spiritual things... To say, you might like to take the precautions by your cousin cause it might be after your baby, you should not be travelling much while your pregnent. Keep yourself and your baby protected, take the name of God very often, of mother Kamakhya I'd insist (because I love her and she always protects me). You might want to surround your bed with some protection and you shouldn't stay alone.
Thank you
Blessings
MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-03)
Hello, sushantkar! Thanks for your message. I was always carrying a holy object when I was pregnant to protect the baby. But I often left it at the bathroom after taking a bath. Hehe.

Thank you.
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-03)
Hello Mystic, Such entities were supposed to attract towards pregnant womens as it is easy for them to manifest the infant seeding inside.
In our culture, pregnant are avoid to expose and thry are always adviced to keep holy object with them such as turmuric, silver/gold (as they are noble in nature) etc. These household objects are said to be ward off negative entities.
whatever you experienced was spine shivering.

Thanks and regards

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: