You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Vanishing Gas Man

Real Ghost Stories

The Vanishing Gas Man

 

A few weeks ago, my house started getting colder. I assumed the boiler had gone wrong. So my boyfriend and I looked up gas men and found this really cheap one. At first I thought he'd be some sort of criminal for that price, but my boyfriend persuaded me. On the day he came, my boyfriend had to be somewhere else so his mum stayed with me in case he was some kind of robber.

When he came, we showed him to the boiler cupboard and kind of left him to it despite my uneasiness of a stranger in my house. Every 15 minutes I would go out and ask him if he wanted tea or if he knew what was wrong with it. Each time he either declined tea or said something general like it needs fixing. I was generally sceptical of this guy being a gas man and was convinced he was about to rob me.

After an hour, there was a knock on the door. I opened it thinking it was my boyfriend. There was this guy around 40 standing there. He told me he was the gas man. I told him to stop conning me as the gas man was already here. He told me that I had obviously wasted his time if I already had a man in. He then showed me his badge.

I invited him in because he had the badge saying his name. The name of the guy I had hired. When walking past the cupboard, I noticed the guy wasn't there. Panic set in because I thought he was upstairs robbing me. As I was about to call the police, the new gas man said something that chilled me to the bone. He held up the other guys badge and said,"He couldn't have been here." His face had gone really pale. I thought he was going to say something like he's not even a gas man, but he said,"He died last week."

My boiler was seen to by a ghost it seems. The gas man thinks the same. My boyfriend's mum also thinks so. Needless to say we did not go far from each other that day.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sophiethunder, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sophiethunder (guest)
+1
5 years ago (2019-02-06)
My boiler has not been fixed. 😕 The new gas man was too spooked to look at it.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-02-04)
Thanks, sophiethunder, for clearing that up!

Now I've got a better grasp of the events.

-Biblio.
Cuddlebear (4 stories) (173 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-02-04)
I too am curious - did the first repair man fix your problem, or does it persist?

Do you have the badge - it would make for a very interesting souvenir.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-02-03)
What about the boiler, is it working properly after the ghostly intervention or is it still broken?

If the former, I hope that the company didn't charge you anything for the spirit's work... The heck, they must not only be the cheapest priced technicians, but they offer supernatural services for free. 😉
sophiethunder (guest)
 
5 years ago (2019-02-03)
The guy had his back to me, like he was doing something to the boiler.
The other guy had the name of the guy I hired, which I completely forgot with the first guy. Seeing the name jogged my memory.
He then found the badge of the first guy in the boiler cupboard.
The first guy had a backpack and yes it did go with him. The door was still open and I didn't find out what he died from.
The second man didn't check the boiler in the end. I think he was too spooked.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-02-02)
Bibliothecarius has asked the same questions that came to my mind while reading your story and I have some more of my own.

"Every 15 minutes I would go out and ask him if he wanted tea or if he knew what was wrong with it."

Did you see the guy actually working and inspecting the boiler or was he just standing by simply staring at it?
Did the second man check the boiler and if so, did he find anything wrong with it or did the first technician have fixed it already?
If he did check, was there any evidence of someone else handling the equipment prior to his intervention?

I hope you can clarify these confusing details.
Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
+1
5 years ago (2019-02-02)
Hello SophieThunder,

That's a very scary ordeal. I would have been spooked for sure.

Thank you for sharing hour experience and I hope you get to the bottom of the 'Gasman ghost'.

Best wishes,
Miandra
😘 ❤ 😘
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+6
5 years ago (2019-02-02)
Greetings, sophiethunder.

There's a detail I don't quite grasp, here: Was the gas man carrying the deceased gas man's identification badge? Did he find it in the boiler cupboard? If so, was it the only remaining physical evidence that the first man had been in your home? Was the first man carrying a toolbox of some sort that vanished along with him? Was the boiler cupboard door still open from the first man's visit? Did you find out what caused his death (natural causes, violence, random accident)?

Thanks, in advance, for clearing up this odd detail.

Best,
Biblio.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: