You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Am I Haunting My Own House?

Real Ghost Stories

Am I Haunting My Own House?

 

My youngest brother came into my room one morning and asked if I had gone into his room the night before. I was still sleeping and got annoyed and told him of course I hadn't. I didn't get home from my bar tending shift until about 4 in the morning and went right to bed. It was obvious he didn't believe me but I didn't care and told him to go away.

Because of things I've experienced over the years and general curiosity, I asked him later that afternoon why he thought I'd gone into his room. It took quite a bit of effort to get the full story from him and then only after other family members had begun to share experiences they'd had over the years did he tell the full story.

He was asleep. He woke up because someone was on top of him. He kept his eyes closed to feign sleep until he was prepared to retaliate against what he thought was a rapist. As this person sat on top of him, the covers were also being pulled off of him. He was getting ready to fight back, terrified, when he heard my voice whisper in his ear, "do you have any weed?" He rolled over and went right back to sleep thinking it was just me in his room.

He believes he was awake just as much as he thinks he must have been asleep.

When I pointed out I wasn't even home and that it was impossible for me to be sitting on top of him while also pulling off the covers, it was then I could tell he believed something else aka paranormal had happened.

The first night we moved into this house I remember a feeling of unease. It was unlike me, but I also remember feeling relieved before we moved in to find out the house was built in the 70s and no one had died in it.

But once I was sitting at the computer downstairs and out of the corner of my eye I saw what appeared to be an old man walk out of the bathroom behind me to my left and toward the staircase in front of me to my left.

My sister one time, lying on the couch in that same room, saw me come out of the bathroom and walk toward the same set of stairs. She called my name and as I walked up the stairs I turned to look at her but kept walking up the stairs out of sight. She thought I was being a jerk until she realized I wasn't even home. I was 300 miles away in upstate New York.

She was terrified.

My mother (who is very hard of hearing) on several occasions has burst into my room while I'm quietly reading or working on art in a panic, asking me what's wrong, swearing she heard me screaming for help.

One time I was in bed reading late at night when, clear as day, a creepy voice screamed right in my ear, "help me!" I froze, and looked around but no one was there.

I walked into the kitchen late one night and it was like a slap across the face: I KNEW someone else was in the kitchen standing by the fridge. But with all the lights already on, I couldn't see them.

My youngest brother says he sees shadows when he walks down the stairs. My mother sees them as she sits in the kitchen. My sister suffered from insomnia when she lived here and says it's because she was always too afraid of a presence she felt.

There was another time I heard a voice clear as a bell right in my ear but I can't remember what it said.

I wrote all this down last summer and sent it to a local paranormal group and they said they'd be over to the house ASAP but after we all talked we came to the conclusion that while it's scary in the moment, we don't believe anything here means to cause us harm. I never responded to the paranormal team after that.

I'm just concerned why my sister saw me, my brother heard me, and my mother continually hears me calling for help.

Am I somehow haunting my own house?

My middle brother and father haven't experienced anything (so they say) but my mother, sister, youngest brother and I have experienced all this and more. It comes and goes and doesn't seem to make sense.

Any ideas?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Connecticut

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ShellRey, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MrsRizzo2429 (4 stories) (93 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-03-19)
This a very interesting story and I hope you keep all of us posted if anything else happens. I would der if it's a doplanger sorry if my spelling is wrong. I wish you the best and thank you for sharing your story.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-03-03)
ShellRey, just trying to judge how malicious and destructive "it" is. So far, from the behavior you report, it isn't trying to drive you folks apart. So I see it as being one of two possibilities:

1. It is a relation of yours, such as your grandfather. I rather reject this notion since some experiences, per your comment, happened before he died. Though perhaps it was his doppelganger checking in?

2. Something that shouldn't be in your house at all, something demonic.

There are other possibilities, but those are the two that come to my mind first.
ShellRey (1 stories) (2 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-03-03)
AugustaM: I thought it was weird it called me a "young adult" cause I'm almost 31. When I saw the old man and my sister saw me walking toward/up the same set of stairs, I was in high school. When my mother used to come into my room and my brother had his experience thinking I was on top of him at night, I was 28 or 29 and living in my family's house again briefly. I've thought too that maybe it was a poltergeist type situation but there are other things personally and from what my family has told me that doesn't make it at least a 100% fit. Maybe we're all a little sensitive? I plan on sharing another story about my mother which ties into the fact that when I walked into the kitchen one night and knew someone was there, I somehow also knew it was her father who had died I'd have to say probably within the year before that experience. And you're right, there is more research I could do about the property itself because this house being built in the 70s and the one family that lived in it before all still being alive doesn't mean something may not be attached to the land, etc. I also don't know much about doppelgängers and I guess always thought that was kind of a silly idea but I'm sharing my experiences on a paranormal right so what right do I have to be close minded? Haha. I'll look into that too!

RCRuskin: nobody has asked me why I didn't do something it seems you're suggesting whatever is looking like me agreed to do. Am I right in thinking that's what you were getting at? As far as I know, every interaction a family member has had with "me" they've told me about: me walking up the stairs and ignoring my sister when I was in another state, my mom hearing me calling for help, my brother thinking I was in his room, etc.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-03-02)
Well, ShellRey, I don't feel I'm expert enough to pronounce anything with authority. But you can identify if from how it behaves. Is anyone in your family asking why you didn't do something you agreed to, just as an example?
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-03-02)
Wow that's a tough one though I have heard of it happening to other people before so you aren't alone. It says you are a young adult but that represents a fairly widd age range - if you don't mind my asking, how old were you when the "doubles" started appearing? If it was during your teens or if you happened to have been going through a lot at the time, it could have been a manifestation of all the angst and emotion of those years being released subconsciously similar to a poltergeist. Or it could be a doppelganger - there are many theories out there as to just what those are - some quite similar to what I have described above.

In addition to the "doubling" phenomenon. I think there is an entity in the home and for no reason that I can't support with any sort of evidence, I get the feeling its a teenage boy, one that was quite troubled in life... But that is just a gut feeling. That doesn't explain the old man but I suppose it could if one entity, a tricky former teen, is responsible for all of the activity, the doubles included.

Maybe do some research on your home and the area in general, something may have stood on that land (or nearby) before the home was built or something may have happened on the land.
ShellRey (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-03-02)
[at] RCRuskin any idea why something would be imitating me? Any idea what "creature" would actually do that and why? Actitivy comes and goes and has also been dormant for a while now. It's inconsistent and weird but we've all experienced if for years.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-03-01)
Hi, ShellRey.

This is just my opinion, but no, I don't think you are haunting your own house. I think something is imitating you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: