You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Attending His Own Funeral?

Real Ghost Stories

Attending His Own Funeral?

 

It's been about 3 years since I've posted up here, but I rarely have any paranormal experiences. This is the first one I've had in a long time. To start, I'll introduce myself. My name's John Gurganus and I'm 20 years old. I'm from North Carolina. This took place at my local church, Memorial Baptist Church, on Saturday, April 20th, 2019.

A week ago (April 17), my landlord passed away at the ripe old age of 85. His wake was held on the 19th and his funeral was on the 20th.

I sat on the far left side on the front row. There's a little white wooden door that leads to a narrow hallway with some bathrooms. That door would open by itself. It was hot in that sanctuary, but I started feeling chills afer the door opened. Soon afterward, the lights flickered.

My entire family and the family to the left of me noticed the door open on its own, they closed and locked it, but it opened again anyway. No one else seemed to get the chills or notice the lights flickering.

Could this be his soul leaving his body and looking for a way out or was this another spirit? Maybe I was tripping and it wasn't a spirit at all? This as a very weird experience that I don't have an explanation for.

The lights have flickered like this before, so maybe it's just faulty wiring, I wouldn't rule out any logical explanations, I just found it creepy considering the circumstances. If it was during any other service, I probably wouldn't have mentioned it, but for all this to happen during a funeral, that's a little bit unusual. Any suggestions on what this might be?

Other hauntings by JRGurganus1998

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JRGurganus1998, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

JRGurganus1998 (2 stories) (11 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-07-02)
[at] silverthane61
It's possible. I asked others if they felt cold. And they said: "Cold? It's 80 degrees in here. We're sweating bullets."

[at] Junglecat
The latch not catching is another possibility. Like I said, I wouldn't rule out any logical explanations.
Junglecat (2 stories) (56 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-05-19)
Doors opening after being locked are particularly curious when someone sees the knob turned by nobody-at-all. Otherwise, it could be that the latch didn't catch. But funerals are odd events. I have sensed the decesed at his/ her own funeral out of the blue and for no reason at all- and not at any other time after their passing.

So if you have a strong feeling that your loved one was there, that might be sufficient evidence for paranormal activity in light of the situation.
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-05-17)
This is certainly odd... You say the door opened after being locked? That and the chills that you experienced certainly seems to point to something extraordinary. The fact that only you experienced chills lends some credibility to this occurrence being paranormal.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: