You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: I Thought Dad Just Came To Visit Me

Real Ghost Stories

I Thought Dad Just Came To Visit Me

 

I have had a few paranormal experiences myself along with everyone in my family. I believed in ghosts since I was a little girl, because I guess it's always just been a part of me growing up.

My father passed away in 2016 from a small-celled stomach cancer, he was diagnosed in 2015. I had less than a year with him really. To be honest I didn't want to say this but, we didn't exactly have a good relationship, it felt like we didn't have any relationship at all. He didn't feel like a father nor did he act much like one, but he fed us and sheltered us and did all his fatherly duties. So I guess what I'm trying to say is I never felt like I was loved by him, nor did I feel like an important part of his life. I know this doesn't sound like a ghost story yet, but please bear with me. I also have to say that he didn't exactly enjoy his family life, because he wanted to be single, but due to culture, was in an arranged marriage. My dad died in 2016 in Sri Lanka, because he wanted to try a treatment there. We had his funeral there and essentially all of his belongings were there at this point.

After the funeral we came back to Australia, and tried to put our lives back together. But I felt broken inside because although we didn't have much of a relationship I missed him, and expected him to walk in through the day any moment. Anyway, I was having a really hard time in school, because my mind just wasn't up to it yet, it couldn't cope, so my grades started falling. However, I had this one subject that I truly loved, art. It was the only time I ever connected with my dad because he loved art too.

So 2 years later, my grade were still falling and I felt alone in most ways. One day, when I was asleep, I guess in my dream I had woken up to go to the kitchen to get a glass of water. But when I switched on the lights, my dad was sitting on the sofa, like he usually does. Except the last time I had seen him the cancer had eaten away at him and he genuinely looked like a zombie. But at that moment he looked jolly, with meat on his bones, he had an unusual glow to him and he looked the most happiest I've ever seen him in my entire life. Usually I'd be scared even if it was a dream, but I wasn't. I felt a sense of peace and I just looked at him. I didn't even feel sad. It just felt like a normal day. Then he asked me what I was doing and I told him I was getting water. He then asked me how I was doing with my studies and I said I was doing okay. He told me to bring my art diary to him and I did. He was the first person to ever look through my art diary, and I remember looking at his facial expression the entire time, and he looked so proud. I hadn't seen that look for a very long time and it made me feel almost euphoric. He looked back up at me adoringly and said you are doing well. And then in my dream my mother called for me to bring her a glass of water. But I looked back at my dad, unsure, because I felt that if I left then I wouldn't see him a again. He nodded at me and said go get her a water. So I took one final look at him and went to give her water. When I came back from my mother's room, unsurprisingly my dad wasn't there but the art diary was still resting on the sofa. After that I woke up and looked at the time, it was 1:13 am.

The next day I woke up and told my mum, because I always talk to her about things. She asked my what time it was around and I said 1:13am. Her eyes widened and she told me that she had woken up exactly at the time because she heard the gate in the front of our house open and close. Then when she was about to fall back asleep, a car had screeched into a halt just in front of our house. According to my culture, this actually happens when a ghost passes over to the next world.

I thought about this long and hard. And only 1 year after that experience did I realise that he had actually came to say goodbye. He hadn't just come to visit me, he had come to comfort me at a time no one else could. He came to tell me I was doing well which I was something I was desperate to hear from my mother. I only realised that before he passed on, he had only said goodbye to me out of my brother and my mother. It hurt to think about it now because I had loathed him so much. I felt like I had lost the chance to tell him that I loved him. And I feel like I would never see him again which makes me even more sad, because I want to know if he's okay now, if he's happier now. I feel like I'm just angry at myself at this point, because I feel like I had tried to understand him better or tried a little harder to get closer to him, I wouldn't have loathed him as much.

I'm sorry for the long story! I know it became less about ghosts but I felt like letting it out, because it was bothering me for so long.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, hansolo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

thelangs9 (2 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2019-11-09)
That's so cool,, my dad used to visit me too in dreams just after the kicking of the bucket, but we still did things, we did what we did when he was alive, eat ice-cream and go on long-drives and hangouts, and u know, as a kid it really helped having him check on me like that, gave me closure and the impression that i'll see him again, be in this or the next life.
Eerie69 (5 stories) (19 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-07-29)
This is very sad but good story.

I am so sorry for your loss. Your dad must've been an awesome dad.

God bless and take care! ❤ ❤ ❤
Caz (342 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-07-04)
Hi Hansolo (my favourite characrer too)!
Welcome to YGS and thank you for sharing your story with us, but please don't be sad! It's never too late to tell your Dad what's in your heart. All you have to do is say the words and 'he will hear you'! ((Big Hugs))
Pinksweety (28 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-07-04)
A very nice experience... Very similar to what I experienced... Yes they visit us... In times of distress...
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-07-02)
There are way too many onions being chopped here!

May your father's Memory be Eternal.

And it would be interesting to track down the driver of that car and found out if they witnessed anything. Oh well.
tace (37 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-07-02)
I am sorry for your loss of your Dad. It's hard to lose a parent even when you didn't feel close... But I do think he knew your need and came to comfort you during this time. He does love you and care about you. I believe you will in time be reunited and will see your dad again. I hope you are doing well and able to feel better about your studies. Take care. ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: