You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Lady By The River

Real Ghost Stories

The Lady By The River

 

This happened to my great grandmother (GGM) sometime in the 1930s. Back then, it was a common practice among those who lived in Indian villages to bathe at the village river. My GGM was no different. She would rise at the crack of the dawn, usually signified by the crowing of the rooster, and then walk down to the village riverbank with her friends for a bath.

One day, it was business as usual for GGM, but as she left home to go to the riverbank, she saw her friends weren't around. Assuming they were late, she continued on her way, though she did find it darker as usual. Once she reached the riverbank, she saw there was no one around except for one lady bathing in the river. She realized she was probably too early and decided to go back home. As she turned, the lady in the river called out to her and said that they were a little early, but since they were at the river, they might as well have a bath and others would be coming in soon.

Soon, my GGM struck up a conversation with her and asked what her name was and how long she had been there in the river. The lady replied with her name and said she entered the river a few minutes after she saw my GGM walking down towards it. My GGM was surprised, as she hadn't seen anyone on her way to the river, but casually, dismissing the thought, she asked the lady where she stayed. And, that's when she pointed to one of the trees at the river bank and laughed and started floating above the water. My GGM just gathered all her stuff from the bank and ran away, praying, never looking back. By the time she was back home, everyone was up, looking for her. It was only then they realized that she was out at around 2 or 3 am instead of the usual 4.30am that she used to go out.

Other hauntings by Ravishingroxy

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ravishingroxy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-31)
You have a point as it is I've been up since 1am downloading movies and reading through stories here, and I've been hearing this rooster going at it since 3:50am,that's why I am wondering how great grandma woke up,
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-03-31)
Rajine,

You ask a good question because, to my limited knowledge, roosters usually start crowing at first light. In my mother's neighborhood, however, there is a rooster who crows all hours of the day and night. We don't know what his problem is (and he is a bit irritating as he is very close to her house). His is probably an isolated behavior. Just thought that I would add my two cents.

- Maria
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-31)
I can imagine how unnerving that must have been for your great grandmother, but at 2am did she hear the rooster crow or did she wake up on her own? Because as far as I know roosters usually start crowing from around 4am onwards.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+4
5 years ago (2019-08-28)
Bodi-Gundamma, please post in English, so everyone can understand you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: