You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Ceiling

Real Ghost Stories

The Ceiling

 

10 years ago, I was in bed reading.

For the previous 6 months, we heard scratching above in the attic. My brother heard it too, but never the way I heard it. I heard something heavier. It ran back and fourth across the attic. It sounded as big as a cat.

For months my dad checked the attic. It was full of boxes - nothing could get to the floor. There was no where to run and no sign of gatecrashing animals or nests.

This night, it was getting on my nerves. It had been scratching above me for hours. I couldn't concentrate on reading. So I stood up and banged the ceiling, hard.

It hit back. Harder.

Before I could react, a loud heavy noise erupted. It sounded like a heavy trunk above me being scraped over a stone floor. The volume and high pitch forced me to cover my ears.

My immediate reaction was to run into my parent's bedroom. They were up, they didn't hear anything. It was so loud, I couldn't understand how that was possible. I went back into my room. It was silent. I read until 4am.

When I got tired, I stopped, switched off my light and got back into my bed, facing away from my bedroom door. Within seconds, I heard something fall in the hallway, where the attic door hatch was.

The footsteps were heavy enough to make the walls shake. They walked over to my bedroom door. Then, before I knew it, the wooden floor of my bedroom started shaking under the weight of something heavy moving towards me. I turned around.

In my mind, I still refused to believe what I was experiencing was real. What I saw was a dark faceless figure, from the moon light in my room. It looked like it had a white, twisted hat on it's head, like a woman with her hair in a twisted towel. Instantly my mind made a rational connection - it must be my mum out of the shower.

I quickly became angry. And shouted 'what do you want?' Thinking my mum had walked in my room randomly in the night. No reply. I shouted it again.

It disappeared in front of me. I switched on the light. Nothing there. I slept with the light on for the next month. Eventually the scratching from the ceiling died down.

It's not the first time I've experienced something like this, and it's not the last. The last time it was worse. I was physically lifted from bed. These things seem to happen once a decade but I want to know what I can do to stop them in future.

Other hauntings by Beenie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Beenie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Beenie (2 stories) (7 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-09-20)
Thank you for the suggestion Silverthane61. Anything is definitely worth a try 👍
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-09-03)
Beenie, I am sure that you have been given may suggestions concerning protection. One of my favorites is pouring salt blessed by a holy man across the threshold of your room and across the windowsills of your windows - it has worked for me.
Beenie (2 stories) (7 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-09-01)
[at] Berggraf38 I was young and angry thinking she'd crept into my room to scare me after I told her I heard a loud noise in the attic. In hindsight I think that's what got rid of it. But if you're being sarcastic, it isn't welcome. I'm telling people about my experiences & not judging people for theirs.
Berggraf38 (3 stories) (22 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-08-31)
Why would you become angry and shout at your own mom? That's strange. With your anger, maybe you are causing Poltergeist phenomena?
Beenie (2 stories) (7 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-08-31)
I needed someone to talk to as well. Really grateful I found this place. What have you experienced with your happenings?
Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-08-30)
Hi Beenie, I'm new here and just saw your reply! I hope I'm responding correctly? Well I didn't cope well at all for a while. Moving has helped me some, but I still have happenings. I ask the universe, (or God) to surround me with His white light for protection. I'm not in to one religion in particular, but am a very spiritual person. Having someone to talk to about these experiences is wonderful. It's good we both found this place. 😊
Beenie (2 stories) (7 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-08-29)
Thank you Cherubim. How have you dealt with your experiences?
Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-08-29)
Oh my goodness! 😳 I would have been so scared! I wish I had something helpful to say. I've had happenings for many years and have asked the universe and all that's good in it to please not let me see an apparitions. I hope you will get some answers here. ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: