You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Frantic Knocking On Ceiling

Real Ghost Stories

Frantic Knocking On Ceiling

 

Several years ago during the week or so after my husband died, I had something strange happen. I lived alone in our house. One evening, I was in bed, crying again, and I heard light knocking on the ceiling outside the bedroom. I ignored it, thinking it was just strange house noises. I noticed it on and off through the night.

The next day at some point I heard more knocking. In the evening later at night the knocking happened again, but louder. I think somewhere around the third or fourth day, the knocking became very loud and frantic sounding.

I thought I had an intruder in my attic crawl space. I wasn't in a self-protecting frame of mind because I was so sad about my husband, and I figured I would just open up my attic door and find this person right then and there and tell them to get out. I wasn't the least bit worried about a confrontation.

I got a step ladder and opened the trap door, which incidentally was in the hallway outside of my bedroom. I shined a flashlight inside and took a really good look around, but saw no signs of anyone or anything that could have been up there. Nothing was loose, no sources of knocking visible. The house was only two years old, nothing in disrepair, and it was quite clean up there.

I was actually surprised that nobody was there. The knocking seemed so purposeful.

I heard some knocking again the next day, but then never again. Never.

At the time, it never occurred to me that maybe my husband was trying to communicate with me. It wasn't until later when on this site that I connected the dots between knocking and ghosts or communication.

I wish I would have thought of it then so that I could have communicated with my husband. I even had one day during the couple of weeks after he died with an extreme cold move over me in the house, in the end of August. It passed after about two or three minutes, and it was ice cold.

My question is this: has anyone else had a direct experience with knocking and a deceased loved one? Anyone try to use that to communicate?

Thanks for reading!

Other hauntings by DandK

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Idaho

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DandK, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-21)
Thanks Manafon1. You've given me some ideas that would help me to reach out to my husband. Funny that it hadn't occurred to me before to specifically define a good (non-frightening) way to contact me. Thanks!

(And good luck with your book!)
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-21)
DandK - There was no no tension between my wife and I, that I can remember, the following day after I saw the dark figure.

I understand what you mean about needing to be strong to call out to your late husband. I find that when I have a completely unexpected paranormal experience, as most are, that I am never frightened but am instead curious. This is almost certainly because my mind is not occupied by anything remotely paranormal related beforehand. To directly engage a spirit, even of a loved one, can set one up to be a bit alarmed and even slightly frightened. I think it also helps to be specific when reaching out to spirits to let them know what you feel is the least jarring way for them their presence known. Also probably doesn't hurt to suggest that the middle of the night isn't necessarily preferable 😉.
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-20)
Manafon1, Your post is very interesting! First, the ticking and then connecting with your mother in that manner would be such a comforting experience. I wish that I would have had the idea to talk to my husband when I heard the knocking, and when I felt the cold.

I may try calling out to him, like you suggest. I need to be strong to do this.

Your recent experiences are really interesting. I'm wondering about the shadow man though. My first reaction was "Oh no, I wonder if there was any tension in the house the next day." because it has seemed recently that I can correlate negative events to seeing a shadow man in my house. If you haven't experienced negative events/emotions with this sighting, then I'm glad to know that it isn't always a sign of negative things to come.

But the shadow man/father or loved one concept does make me wonder if my late husband dislikes my new husband. Assuming the shadow man I'm seeing is my late husband.

Thank you for your account! I always enjoy reading your posts and stories - I've thought about your stories many times over the past year.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-03-20)
Hi DandK - I missed this account when it was first published but found it of great interest. It does seem very likely that the knocking you heard was your husband letting you know he will always be with you.

Knocking sounds are a commonly reported way spirits try to communicate with loved ones but often it seems that the tapping is just to let you know they are there without any other message attached. Another way spirits use to attract attention is through what sounds like a ticking clock. I experienced this one night in my darkened bedroom and believe it was my deceased mother. The cold you felt around the same time you heard the knocking was quite probably your husband communicating his presence in another manner.

When I heard the ticking I spoke of, the sound led me to my walk in closet where I was assailed with an extreme cold, just as you described and the sense that my mom entered my consciousness. Oddly in just the last two weeks I have had three paranormal occurrences in the same room. I saw a black, shadow-like figure (that struck me as male) walk by the bathroom door, briefly blocking out the light given off by by my electric toothbrush charger and last night I heard a disembodied voice. This occured while I was discussing with my wife how much I dislike writing at night (I am presently writing a book). I was standing and my wife was laying on the bed when a whispered woman's voice said, "I know". Later in the night I woke to find the bedroom door wide open. I leave it cracked open about a foot and prop it against a 22 pound weight I have to allow just enough room for my cats to enter and leave. When I saw it open I closed it and fifteen or so minutes later I just KNEW it was open again. Sure enough it was.

I had earlier in the day spoken aloud to my mom and dad and said I would love to be visited by them again, so I believe the voice and door opening were two other ways in which a spirit can make their presence known. My feeling is that the figure I saw was my dad. I apologize for my long digression but your account really got me to thinking about the various ways a spirit can interact with us and make their presence known.

I hope you take comfort from the knocking and cold sensation that seem attached to your husband's spirit. If you are interested in trying to interact with him just ask aloud, by stating his full name, that you would like to interact with him and that tapping or knocking would be worth attempting. Directly asking a spirit to communicate can produce results. My mom has seemingly visited me several times over the last few years in various ways. Thanks for sharing your touching account.
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-03-20)
Spiritwaiting, I'm sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your very beautiful experience. What a comforting feeling that must have been to know he was still with you and to talk to him before bed. Thank you for sharing that!
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-21)
Hi Dandk,

After reading your experience here, I remembered one of my experiences that had to do with knocking.

I was 14 years old, lived in Mesa Arizona and had literally finally started to mourn my Uncle.

He has passed only 2 years earlier, and I just couldn't and didn't accept he was truly gone.

I started writing poetry at that age, all of my poems were about him. Imagining him as an angel watching over me etc.

A few weeks after I started my poetry I had decided to share a few with my Mother (his sister). She was still in mourning as well, and I needed to find a way to have her see his death in a better way.

A few days after I shared those poems the knocking started.

First very subtle, gentle almost like a whisper type knocking. Started on my bedroom wall. I ignored it thinking some type of animal had made its way into the walls, or a branch from a bush was causing the sounds.

Then after a week or so, it moved to my headboard. It has a rhythm to it a pattern. It went on for a few days and grew louder. So I finally said "ok,if this is someone I know, tap twice for yes and once for no",it knocked twice.

At that time I only knew of my uncle passing so I asked the question...
"Is this Uncle Rod"? Again knocking twice... I was excited and scared at the same time.

Everynight before I went to bed the knocking would start. Not at any particular time, I was a teenager I was up at all hours of the night.

But every single time I would decide to go to bed the knocking would start.

I would lay in the bed, talk with him (never got an actual voice answer) ,and would ask him to stop knocking so I could fall asleep. This went on after we moved back to oklahoma, and stopped after I moved out.

Sorry for the long comments but this sent me back to good memories!

Thanks for sharing
Spiritwaiting ❤
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-20)
Hi Meldel, I agree that it seems like it could be your brother.
Have you had any other signs from him?

Don't you wonder why knocking seems to be something that spirits can do easily? It just doesn't seem like knocking is a low energy action.
Meldel (6 stories) (39 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-08-17)
Hi DankD,
We have been staying in our house for just over two years. One evening a few months ago my husband had retired to bed. I was sitting alone in the living room, sending a message to my son overseas. The house was very quiet. I heard a knock on our back door. My husband confirmed that he had heard it as well but he heard the knock on the window closest to him. We both knew it was someone who had passed on and was just saying "hello". We never knew who it was though. My husband never remembers his dreams yet on Monday morning 14 August he told me of the very vivid dream he had. My brother who had passed away last year August came to visit in his dream. I believe the knocking was my brother trying to say "hello". Thanks for your story!
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-15)
Hi The_Banker,did the knocking sound like it was being made by striking the structure of the building or an object in your attic?
The_Banker (5 stories) (16 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-08-15)
Hi DankD,

I have experienced knocking on the attic just above my room. Three knocks and then it sounds like a coin is tossed. It happened every other day for 2 whole weeks. It was around afternoon. I have not gotten any explanation yet

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: