You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Items :: Unplugged Fan

Real Ghost Stories

Unplugged Fan

 

Out of the blue we started hearing this strange noise when we'd go in the garage, the attic is out there too. At first I never thought much of it because it seemed far away. Maybe it was a weed eater or leaf blower. We never heard it before, it wasn't loud enough to be a chain saw which we do hear around here from time to time. We just stopped trying to guess and ignored it.

Then one day I needed something from the attic, so I pulled the rope to the wooden stair case that drops down to the floor and climbed up there. Once my head cleared the opening to the attic I stopped in my tracks frozen on the steps. That noise we've been hearing for weeks is coming from an old fan up there. Only thing is the fan doesn't work and never has since we've lived here. It's just dangling from an old rope and isn't even plugged in!? The fan was making this noise you would hear from an older fan, this one is metal and it was just whirling away but nothing was moving?! I just stood there staring at it for the longest time. Then all of a sudden it stopped. No more noise... Just dead silence.

When my boyfriend came home from work I told him I had found the source of the noise. He asked me what it was? When I told him it was the broken fan in the attic his face turned white as a ghost. Stranger still is now that we know where the noise was coming from we have never heard it again.

I've been having "happenings" since I was a little girl. I just never know what to expect next. I often wonder if it's someone that I know who has crossed over and is trying to contact me. I hope some day to understand.

Other hauntings by Cherubim

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oregon

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Cherubim, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-09-07)
Yes it is odd the noise stopped and we never heard it again. It's almost as if something wanted me to know it was there. 😳
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-09-06)
I understand that you only heard the residual sounds of the fan working, though you did not see the blades of the fan move. I wonder if one could have felt the breeze that the fan would have produced. I am also curious why the noise stopped only after you went into the attic. Fascinating!
Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-09-05)
Yes, if it only worked it would be great! It was only the sound of the fan. 😐 I don't know if the previous owner ever experienced anything, but I had a paranormal investigation done at this house and we found HIM! While using the EVP (electronic voice phenomena) recorder the investigator asked who was in the house. We heard random names. It went quiet, then we heard an older gentleman say "Bob." He sounded much older than the other voices. Later when I got to know the next door neighbor I was told an older man named "Bob" used to live here! 😳
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-09-04)
Cherubim -Just imagine all the money one would save if ghosts could make our appliances run without using any power!

Intriguing experience, I wonder if any of the previous tenants encountered the same kind of activity.

Perhaps the resident ghost was having hot flashes? (Just kidding) 😜
Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-09-01)
I have forgotten how to respond after someone makes a comment on my post? I'm wanting to thank you Faith_2000 for reading my story. YES it is very unusual and I wasn't afraid since I've had so many "happenings." The fan was always there and has never worked. We don't own this house so I just leave it alone. We've lived here since 2012 and it's the only time it has ever happened.
Faith_2000 (2 stories) (10 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-08-31)
That's very unusual. Where was the fan from? Was it there when you moved in?

If it was me I would get rid of the fan as soon as I could 😳 but I'm a bit of a scaredy cat. DiD you get rid of it? ❤❤❤
Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-08-30)
Hi! 😊
Thank you very much. No I never always heard it, suddenly I started hearing it for about a week or so. I never heard it outside the house. My boyfriend has never experienced paranormal events like I have, plus we had lived in a haunted house before we moved here. That's why he reacted that way. We had been living here three years when that event happened. Thank you for taking time to read my story. ❤
Cuddlebear (4 stories) (173 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-08-29)
Cherubim ~ Greetings and welcome.

I have a few questions: Did you always hear the fan, like it was always running? Could you hear it outside the house?

And about your boyfriends response did he tell you why your answer bothered him so?

How long had you been living in the house before the noise started?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: