You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: One Last Visit

Real Ghost Stories

One Last Visit

 

We were moving from Chicago to San Francisco, and I left first, while my husband stayed with our Golden Retriever in the condo. It was in June 1999, and I was in a hotel in Reno when he called to tell me his father died.

A couple days after his father passed away, he was awakened in the night by what was clearly an intruder. Whoever broke in was right there in the room, and so my husband turned on the light. Our dog was just sitting there, alert, looking at something that nobody could see, turning his head in the way dogs do when they appear confused.

My husband was bothered because our "watch dog" wasn't going after the person who broke into our home. So, he got out of bed to confront the intruder. It's a mistake, we both know. But we often act on instinct in times like these.

There was a long corridor in our condo which led to the dining room then the kitchen toward a back door, out to a deck. So my husband followed out of the bedroom through the living room, only feet behind the footsteps through the corridor towards the kitchen. The footsteps faded as the visitor passed through the door onto the deck. There was no sound other than the footsteps.

The gait was uneven, with one foot landing harder than the other. His father had an injury which caused him to limp the same way.

My husband called his mother and said he had something he wanted to tell her. She said she didn't want to talk about it, knowing it was about his father. But he told her anyway. He described what happened that night to her. Her sister had written her a letter where she described a similar experience, having an intruder visit her in the night with an unmistakable gait that matched her husband's.

Other hauntings by jsbsf

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jsbsf, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

jsbsf (2 stories) (2 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-11-08)
The dog did not know the father-in-law (nor did I). He had been in poor health for several years and lived in Europe.

Mother-in-law has since passed. I don't think he wanted to tell either of us about this immediately since he didn't want us to think he was nuts. I don't remember how long he waited to tell either of us. So, I feel like her sister received and read the letter before he brought it to her attention.
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-11-18)
Absolutely nothing wrong in believing that the Father was making one last visit to the family before passing fully over. My family is replete with similar stories and I like to believe this is exactly what happens.
jabond99 (3 stories) (61 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-18)
jsbsf,

I would like to second Cherubim's question. It seems your dog was not alarmed by this encounter, so it would be good to understand if your dog was familiar with your father-in-law? Had they met, played, etc?

Also, it seems you are relaying your husband's experience (you apparently were in SF at the time). What was his impression of the encounter? Did he have any feelings that the encounter was from his father? What was his first gut feeling when having the encounter?

Thanks for posting.

James Bond
Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2019-11-17)
Wow, that's amazing! 😳 Since another family member experienced the exact same thing, I believe it was your husbands father saying goodbye. Did the dog know your father in law? I ask because the dog never barked.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-16)
Hi jsbsf,

I'm very sorry for the loss of your father in law. I have felt the experience of being stressed out on the road and having tragedy strike. In my case, I had a miscarriage in Memphis and had to be hospitalized for two days with no one around.

Is your mother in law still alive? I was wondering if the letter she received from her sister about a similar incident, was received later than the conversation with your husband. If not, then that's one heck of a fast letter, though, not out of the realm of possibility. I may be reading that part wrong.

Thank you for sharing your story, Maria ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: