You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Voices That Shake The Bed

Real Ghost Stories

The Voices That Shake The Bed

 

So this happened when I was about 15 years old, I believe.

For years, actually as long as I can remember, I could hear voices when I "listened." If you don't know what I mean by that, you probably can't understand. But I call it channel 1 and channel 2.

Channel 1 is the normal way you hear things. Channel 2 is the other way. Sorry, if you don't understand what I mean by that. I'm not expert enough in this stuff to explain, or even to defend it as a real thing. I have no idea how it works, but in channel 2 you can hear all kinds of things; voices, music, moaning, laughing...

It all sort of depends on what is in the air around you at the time. Some locations are thick with it, some aren't, but it's all there in the wind. That's when I heard it best, anyway.

At night though, when the wind is blowing, mostly it's just voices. Not a single voice, but a distant babble hard to ignore - because it gets louder if you listen close and it's hard not to listen in the dark. Worse, if you listen too close in the wrong place on the wrong night, other things started happening. Mostly at night, but not always, as in this story.

This happened in broad daylight. I was laying in bed at my brother's place. It was a small apartment on Mather street he shared with my cousin near the Fox River in Green Bay, WI. I crashed there sometimes. Well, this particular day, the voices were very loud and I was very tired because I had been up all night, but I couldn't fall asleep because the voices kept getting louder beneath me until it felt as if the bed was shaking under me.

Now, that might seem terrifying at first glance, but it had happened before, and I had then, and still have, a simple rule about weird stuff: If someone else didn't see it, feel it, or hear it, then it isn't real. Zero exceptions.

So, the wind is blowing outside, and I'm trying to sleep, and for almost an hour I tried to ignore the "hallucination" keeping me awake until, tired and frustrated, I got out of bed and went into the living room where my cousin Todd was talking to a couple girls who lived nearby and were over for friendly flirting or whatever.

I asked if Todd could come talk to me for a minute in the bedroom. He agreed and followed me into the room where I shut the door behind him.

"What's up?" Todd asked, (I'm paraphrasing. I honestly don't remember exactly what he said.) And I asked him to sit down on the bed a second.

And that's about as long as he did sit down before he jumped up like something but him and started cursing and staring at the bed.

Cutting into the story a second; another of my little rules regarding weird stuff is that I never tell someone with me what it is I see or hear. I ask what the person with me sees or hears, so I know they actually do see or hear whatever it is I think I see or hear. Lol.

Sorry, if that's seems sort of burdensome, but it's the only way I can really know for sure they are being honest with me.

Trust issues? Possibly. But that doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.:)

"The bed is $&@! Shaking!" Todd said.

At which point, feeling entirely vindicated, I pumped my fist and said, "I f&&$ing knew it! I knew it!"

Then we swore a lot more (we were both teenagers and thought that made us adults I suppose) and the bed eventually stopped shaking, and I felt very pleased with myself, and Todd decided the house was haunted, or more likely I was haunted.

But that didn't ruin my mood because this had been going on for years, and hurray! I wasn't crazy.

And then it started getting dark.

I realized all those nights I heard voices and the bed was shaking might not have been hallucinations. And I started wishing I hadn't had Todd come sit on the bed.

Other hauntings by Awoken

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Awoken, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

mel8763 (1 stories) (19 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2019-12-06)
Hello Awoken,
I believe you. I've had supernatural events happen to me. Channel 1 and makes perfect sense to me.
Melanie
Awoken (2 stories) (21 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-11-21)
Tris,

Yep, that's channel 2, alright.
Easy to fall into when your not thinking about it, and "listening" there is sort of the opposite of listening to channel 1. Clearing your head of anything and drifting is the only way to hold on otherwise you snap back into channel 1, at least when you actually want to listen lol.
When everything you hear is freaking spooky and weird you have the devil's own time getting out.
😁
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-11-20)
For some weird reason, I seem to hear what you call Channel 2 more often when I'm not actively listening. The more I focus on it, the more it fades. So if I hear music, I try to just clear my head and exist in a daze so I can enjoy it before it fades. Can't make out voices unless half asleep, but then I remember nothing once I wake up again later. Might have to relearn some meditative tricks.
Awoken (2 stories) (21 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2019-11-19)
Daz,

Mostly I hear voices. I'd prefer the music 😁 But I can only recall a handful of occurrences in which the music sounded like more than some kind of "windy melody?" If that makes sense?
Once was probably the most beautiful orchestra music I've ever heard, and I remember thinking "OMG I wish I could record this."
I even remember where I was at the time (Old railroad tracks walking southeast paralleling western ave, Green Bay, wi. And exactly how long the music lasted - it made that much of an impression. I actually wept as I listened.

And, like several other comments, your question reminded me of something I'd forgotten. One other time someone other than my niece heard what I did. It was a long time ago but I was driving my two daughters home from Wisconsin Dells - cutting our day short at the water park because a big storm was coming in and we didn't want to get caught in it.

The wind was thick - not blowing hard - "thick"
And it felt really really good as we drove. Even with the storm coming in. My girls (8 and 5) were being really quiet. You know that sort of comforting silence that just seems to feel right sometimes? Anyway I was drifting as I drove just feeling good when I started to hear a flute-like melody. Very pretty and relaxing and it made me smile. And I looked at Breigh (my oldest) and realized she was turning to look at me the exact same time. She was listening, her brown eyes wide. It wasn't scary or shocking or anything like that. And I just nodded at the question I saw in her look.

And this huge grin split her face. I put my fingers to my lips and she nodded back and we just listened to the music for miles and miles.

Thank you for reminding me of the better times, Daz. I think I would trade everything I have or ever will have to spend just one more day driving before the storm with that precious little girl.

- Timothy
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-19)
Hi Awoken

Just a question out of curiosity, is the music you hear classical? Or just instruments only?

Regards Daz
jabond99 (3 stories) (61 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-11-18)
Awoken,

You do know best as far as what limits you have set, and how you want to use your ability. I completely understand about not wanting to repeat any experience that was a terrifying ordeal. As my posted stories show, I am exposed as being a big ole 'fraidy cat, and my stories no where approach yours in terms of level of encounter or mystery. I respect that you have to deal with something beyond my comprehension.

In the mean time, I would like to say that if you post anything else that you would like to share, I would read it eagerly. (Only something you would like to share).

James Bond
Awoken (2 stories) (21 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-11-18)
I really appreciate all the interest taken in my story.

Mara - I agree they rarely mean any harm. I suppose I was a little jaded finding out my siblings were just playing along with some experiences I had when I was very young. Now it just seems wiser to trust but verify 😁

James - I'll come clean on something I really really never like talking about. I did attempt, for a brief time, to allow myself to open up to the things unseen I felt around me at times. During that time I had one terrifying and soul-scarring experience I'm unwilling to ever risk repeating. I think I'll stick to metaphorically bagging groceries rather than risk a repeat of that night. But I do appreciate your analogy.

Melda - The voices are completely audible (not in my head.) The interesting thing about the voices is that the clearer and more audible they became the more likely it was for something like the shaking bed to occur. And although Todd and a few others witnessed the shaking furniture or electrical effects over the years, only my niece (as far as I know) has ever heard the voices the same way and at the same time as I have. And that on only two occasions I can remember. The first I wouldn't even have known about but she asked who the people were who were talking in the closet. (She was seven or eight years old I believe) I was shocked. But it's hard to disbelieve a little girl who is hearing the same thing you are even if no one else can
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-11-18)
I loved the "channel-1, channel-2" metaphors! Really, I think that most of us - me included - are only able to access channel 1. You appear to have some latent abilities of clairaudience - the ability to hear psychically what others are incapable of hearing. The mind can create illusions that involve all the senses when we are very tired. Visual examples (hallucinations) being the most common. But the mind can also create audial "hallucinations". Many people often hear their names being called, music, etc in the same way others may visually hallucinate. I do think you are an exception to this. You have a genuine 6th sense!
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-11-17)
Awoken - I have so often heard of beds shaking and it must be rather scary if you don't know who or what is causing it.

I used to have a shaking bed but I was fortunate enough to know what caused it. Years ago I had a dog named Rusty who used to walk around my bed on his hind legs with his forelegs on the bed until he reached my pillow and would then lay his head down next to my head and sleep for a while - anything up to about 15 minutes.

After Rusty died I knew when Rusty was around because this behavioral pattern continued for a long time. Not constantly but every now and then.

About the voices. Do you hear these voices in your head, that is telepathically, or are they audible so that anybody who is "tuned in" would be able to hear them as well? I ask this because I also at times hear voices and music which nobody else hears. This is not connected to wind though. (And no I don't have a mental or middle ear disorder!)

Interesting experiences.

Regards, Melda
Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-17)
I think you should be glad Todd was there to validate your story. I also hope you feel safe here where many would not think you're crazy.

jabond99 (3 stories) (61 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-16)
Awoken,

Thank you for this story, I was waiting for another one of your posts.

An experience like this confirms you have an incredible ability. It is an amazing ability you have, especially for someone like me that seemingly has very little capacity for supernatural abilities. I realize it must have been very difficult to process this while you grew up, and you found some way to cope. But I would encourage you to explore and develop this talent formally as much as you can.

I am reminded of my good friend's son who was 6'5" IN MIDDLE SCHOOL! Everyone thought he would be a basketball star, but instead of developing his God-given gift, he chose to study (of all things) the French horn. He claimed he was not interested in basketball, too uncoordinated, etc. I think he was afraid to fail. Now at 23 years old and 6'9", he has no skill at basketball, no orchestra needing a lanky French horn player, and works at Home Depot (a worthy job, but not really in line with his God-given gift).

My point with this kid's story is that he never tried, even with a rare gift given to him. So, I would encourage you (with your special and rare gift) to develop it as fully and as much as you can.

I think you could be in the NBA of ghost-talkers!

James Bond
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-11-16)
Hi Awoken,

Your system of asking someone what they sense first is not burdensome. I have found that many people will patronize others or just merely lie and say they feel or hear it too.

I'm not any kind of psychology major but I have observed enough people to know that many people love to commiserate. I don't believe they mean any harm.

Thank you for sharing your story and I hope that you are doing well!

- Maria ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: