You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Someone Was Rummaging Through My Things

Real Ghost Stories

Someone Was Rummaging Through My Things

 

This isn't the scariest of paranormal experiences but it is one that has happened repeatedly and can't be explained. I'll start off by saying that we sleep with the bedroom door completely closed and latched. Our cat isn't allowed in our room because she likes to climb and often gets stuck up on the bookcase with no way down. There's also cacti and a few other house plants which I don't want her hurting herself on or eating as some are toxic to cats and obviously we can't watch her if we're asleep (trust me, she's like a toddler, everything goes in her mouth at least once).

This experience doesn't happen very often but when it does, I'm often woken up from a dead sleep to hear someone or something rummaging through my makeup and skincare and nail polish on my dresser. There's a street light right outside our bedroom window so the room is never completely pitch black but even then, I can't see anyone or anything when I open my eyes and allow them to adjust to the room. As soon as I sit up, the noise abruptly stops and doesn't ever continue after that, even if I lay back down and close my eyes. It's as if I've caught someone snooping and they stop and leave when I look over at my dresser.

I'm also wondering if this is the same spirit of a Victorian lady who appeared as a partial apparition that we both saw in our bedroom walking around the foot of the bed towards the window, and also the spirit who my fiance has felt touch/caress his feet in the middle of the night. He once asked me if it was me but I don't walk close enough the foot of the bed to touch his feet and even if I did, I don't like feet and certainly wouldn't be caressing them while he sleeps lol

Other hauntings by lilpeachyghost

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lilpeachyghost, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

lilpeachyghost (12 stories) (21 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-12-09)
Hi all, sorry I haven't been around to respond to comments but I'm back, finally!

I haven't heard this rummager for quite a while now, I'm not really sure why. There seems to be months where little to no activity happens and then all of a sudden it will pick back up again. We seem to be in a bit of a lull at the moment.

I haven't brought any antique furniture or trinkets or anything into the house (ever) so I'm leaning more towards the spirit being attached to the house itself and not an object as the house is over 100 years old.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-25)
There is another story here... Though I sadly have no clue just when it was posted or any other relevant details like title or author 😬 BUT at least to say that you aren't alone in this experience, Peachy. I commented on that account too that a similar phenomenon would happen to me nights while I was growing up (late teens). I used to swear it was one of our cats who had gotten caught in my room after I'd closed the door for the night - they were, after all, 3 all black reformed ferals and therefore extremely accomplished hiders. However, every time I would work up the courage to jump up, scurry to the door and open it to peak round the corner into my mom's room, all 3 would be peacefully lounging or sound asleep on her bed!

Maybe it's a human ghost like your Victorian lady, maybe ghost cats, maybe brownies, maybe a poltergeist... Hard to say when you can't catch them in the act! For whatever reason, I am leaning towards the lady in your case. Maybe do some research on your home (or any antique purchases right around the time this started) to see if you can learn more about her - she seems benign at least.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-19)
Melda,

Good Heavens! I thought the troll thing was just happening to me. Melda, you have a very kind soul.

- Maria ❤
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2019-11-19)
Lilpeachyghost please let us hear from you. I for one want to hear more about your rummager!

I apologise for the diversion but the trolls seem to have the urge to make a hit every now and then.

It seems that everything has been set to rights now and I'm sure everyone would love to hear your responses 😊
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2019-11-19)
lilpeachyghost please bear with me for a minute.

Oh my poor forsaken little troll. Why do you hate so much? Try to blend an ingredient of positive to the negative. Your life will be so much better. I would suggest therapy because it takes a great deal of hate and jealousy to react the way you do but there is always somebody out there to lend a helping hand. If I am speaking to my usual troll, I want you to know that I don't care about the down points I get from you. In fact I'm starting to feel sorry for you. I also think there are two of you working in cahoots.

To all who commented on this story: There were plus karma points on all the comments, now they have all been removed by some poor sad individual/s.

Regards, Melda
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2019-11-18)
I originally thought that this haunt may be a residual one. That is, until you mentioned the instance where the phantom appeared to touch your feet. Good Heavens! Cases like that are the reason that I do not like to have any part of my body over the edge of the bed! I also do not like to have my feet sticking out from under the covers!
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2019-11-17)
lilpeachyghost - I have to giggle about the cat. They are such inquisitive (and entertaining) creatures.

Whoever is rummaging through your personal items on your dresser is more than likely a woman. Most men wouldn't have the slightest interest in all that paraphernalia, although I do know that these days more and more men are "into" skin care products and spend a lot of time on their appearance and grooming, nails, etc.

I spent approximately 13 years with a spirit named Vic who constantly rummaged through my husband's clothing cupboard. Only he would have known what he found so fascinating about it. I know his name was Vic because he told me telepathically when I asked him. If you want to know more about my experience with Vic, I published it and if you're interested in comparing notes, you'll find my story on my profile page.

To be honest, I'm quite intrigued by your rummaging guest and I would just love it to be a Victorian lady 😊

Regards, Melda
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2019-11-16)
Hi lilpeachyghost,

I've got the same style of cat. All of the houseplants in our house have the tips of their leaves chewed off. If anything changes in the house he has to re-smell its parameters and if it's a box or container, he must sit in it once. That way, he can navigate his realm by scent alone.

How much do you know about the history of your home? I would try to research past owners of the property. If you are convinced that there is a woman from the Victorian Era coming and going from time to time in your home, I would concentrate my search during that era.

Another member of this site, RCRuskin suggested to me that I might find answers at the local library. When I went, a local historian that worked there told me that library workers have unlimited access to Ancestry.com. I don't know if they do in the United Kingdom but I think it is likely that they do. Or something just as good.

Best Wishes, Maria ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: