You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Night I Saw The Shadow Man

Real Ghost Stories

The Night I Saw The Shadow Man

 

When I was just a little kid, my older sister and I would always stay over at my grandparents house. At that time, I was only 5 and she was 7. I had another sister but she was too young to sleepover. Anyway, whenever we slept over, we had to share a room and the bed. The room that we stayed in was on the second floor next to a bathroom and my grandparents bedroom. To a normal person the room would seem off. There wasn't anything wrong with it.

The first time my sister and I slept over, like I said, I was 5. Some say that I was too young and don't remember it too well or that I just made up what happened. I thought that too until my mom gave birth to another daughter. Then 7 years later, she starts to sleepover at my grandparents house. But not in the same room. Since, I would always end up waking everyone in the house up by screaming. My grandmother blocked the room off from the rest of her house after I told her about the shadow behind the light.

Now, you might be wondering, "What happened?" or "What shadow?" Here's the story.

My older sister and I were getting ready for bed the first night over at our grandparents house. We were so excited but also nervous because it was our first sleepover. Anyway, time past by quickly and we were all tucked in bed. Our grandfather went to bed early while our grandmother stayed awake. On the other hand, we couldn't fall asleep. After staying up and talking for a few minutes, my sister grew tired even though she was wide wake. Another minute passed and she was asleep. And just like that, I was alone.

I rolled over to get more room on the bed but I ended up frozen. I saw the lamp. It was a tall lamp in the room and light shined in on it from a window. But that wasn't what made me freeze. There was a figure. Or as I like to call it, Shadow Man. The Shadow Man wore a top hat and that's all I could make out of the figure. I stared at it for what seemed like an eternity and yet it didn't move. So me being a kid, I thought that it was just a shadow from the window shining inside the room. But I was wrong.

Right as I was about to turn back over to face my sister, it moved. The Shadow Man was moving towards me. So I did the only a 5 year old could do in a time like that. I screamed. And it went away. I don't know where it went but it was gone. Of course my whole family woke up and came into the room. And then I realized it wasn't just 9:30 pm, it was 4:00am. Right on the dot.

This went on every time I slept over, but then I got older and stopped. That's when my grandmother shut down the room. Now I am 16 and I still see the Shadow Man in my nightmares. So I do ponder if it was real or not. But one thing is still off about it all. Because every once and awhile, everyone in my house will bolt up at 4:00am and we all don't know why.

What I do know is that whatever that Shadow Man is, it isn't good.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, andraelayne, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
4 years ago (2020-03-16)
Nightrider, it would be best to write up your account and submit it. That way, it will get the attention it deserves and not detract from andraelayne's account. Sounds like you have more to tell 😊
nightrider66 (1 stories) (2 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-16)
Hello,
I have just read a few of your comments but felt the need to share my experiences. It started when I guess I would say about 6. There at night in my room window every night was a dark figure, large and it would call to me. This was so frighting that I would not sleep in my room, my parents would find me sleeping in different places, closet, living room, kitchen etc. I don't recall if I began to sleep walk before this or after but my parents had to put a lock on the front door due to my sleep walking where I ended up outside on the porch. This is just the beginning of my experiences which I will add to later. I am 53 now and can still remember the dark shadow in the window like it was yesterday. More to tell later.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-15)
andraelayne, Shadow Men/People are a particular interest of mine, as well as others on this site. There are many stories about Shadow People on our site if you want to read about other experiences.

From most accounts, very rarely does the Shadow interact with people. There seems to be a common thread that they appear when someone is going through an emotional time. Most often, from what I can recall, teens are the ones who see them. But not always. There have been children who have seen them.

I, personally, don't believe they appear to cause trouble. I'm not even close to figuring out why they do appear, but am hoping one day that will be answered.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-06)
Hello andraelayne and welcome to YGS,

I have seen a shadow, that I was definitely sure of seeing, once in my life. I was seventeen and it was in broad daylight, in my house. It wasn't wearing a hat and it wasn't, otherwise, menacing in any way. I saw it for a full second before it vanished without any reaction from me. It was more confusing to me than anything. It's been two decades and I haven't seen another one as surely as I saw that one.

There are two things in your story that I am curious about:

- When your grandmother "closed off" the bedroom, did she only lock the door so it would be inaccessible to the kids? Or was it more like the east wing in "Dark Shadows" - a forbidden area?

- Everyone in your house will sometimes wake up, like clockwork, at 4 am. How long did it take for the members of your family to collaborate with each other and find out that it happens? And this is your parent's house and not the one where you saw the shadow man?

I have a little advice about the dreams. It might be helpful to you if you started to keep a dream journal. You can see if there are any patterns. For example: if you have a troubling dream and start noticing that there are triggers in your waking environment, it can go a long way as a prevention.

I keep a dream journal and it has been many years since I have had a true nightmare. Having the journal, somehow, trained my mind to recognize when a dream was getting out of my comfort zone. I always wake myself up when I don't like what's going on. This ability did not take very long to develop and I believe that it might be helpful to you.

- Maria
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-05)
I've seen shadow people all throughout my life, the last I'd seen one or rather looked directly at it was in the year 2006 when I was 17 and as old as I was at the time, those shadows really creeped me out, but I don't know if is harmful or not but as silverthane said they definitely thrive on people's fear.
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-03-05)
You have probably already done some mild internet research on this Shadow Man creature. If you have, then you undoubtedly have found out that you are definitely not alone in seeing it. I do not recall it ever having done anything physically bad to anyone, but it definitely seems to thrive on fear. Oftentimes it is seen in company with other shadows. Are you the only one in the family who has seen this creature?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: