You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Toatoamona Experience

Real Ghost Stories

Toatoamona Experience

 

I was stationed in Guam from July 2007-July 2010 by the U.S. Air Force. Guam has a very strong affiliation with the paranormal and I will share a couple of experiences I had while living there.

One summer night, it was very windy and I was walking my dog, Mr. Weiner (whom we rescued from a DOG Shelter on Guam) around the base housing neighborhood. For some reason we headed straight toward a toatoamona tree at the edge of a neighbor's yard. I had heard many stories about bad reactions/experiences with this type of spirit tree. Some people would say that if you stepped on the roots of this tree you had to say sorry or you could get really sick, a bad scratch or bad luck from not giving this tree proper respect.

As Mr Weiners and I went towards the tree, I immediately felt cold air all around me and a shock, as Mr Weiner was urinating on the tree. Mr Weiner immediately started dragging me back to our house! His tail was between his legs and his hair was standing up! I was surprised by his reaction but I noticed a wind swirl of leaves was heading toward us and Mr Weiner really took off and whimpered at me to get a move on and out of there. Mr Weiner only weighs 15 pounds and he was dragging me easily at 5'9,185 pounds! We got back to our house and Mr Weiners had calmed down quite a bit.

I went to bed that night and before I went to sleep I felt a weight on my chest and for 15-20 seconds I couldn't breathe. I tried to sit up and after I moved a little bit the weight on my chest stopped and I found I could breathe again! I was spooked and very afraid and I immediately looked around my house and something didn't feel quite right, I felt like I was being watched. I decided to pray before I went back into my bedroom and I held my wife's hand and I felt safe.

See, my wife at that time, didn't believe in ghost/hauntings, even though she loves scary movies! Go figure Huh? But after living on Guam for 3 years she relented her beliefs and at least could say, something scary happened but we don't know why/what. Please only write to me serious replies, no funny stuff okay? Thanks for reading my story.

Other hauntings by wrh1969

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, wrh1969, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

wrh1969 (6 stories) (11 posts)
+1
3 years ago (2020-11-05)
RCRuskin,
He started to pee but he suddenly stopped and started dragging me back to my house.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+5
3 years ago (2020-10-19)
Greetings, whr1969.

Thanks for sharing this, as I realized that there's a fair amount of information about Guam that I don't know. I started looking into the details of your narrative.

I was curious about the nature of the tree you mention; it's a Pacific Banyan (Ficus Prolixa) tree. The description "Toatoamona" literally means "the people of before," or "the ancestral spirits." Perhaps if someone had taken the time to explain the meaning of the tree's name, you'd have been a smidge more cautious about letting your dog pee on it. 😉

Best,
Biblio.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-10-19)
Lady-Glow, I guess you have to stop speaking sense since I am still, after a long time of not upvoting you, unable to upvote you. 🤔 I am just guessing, but if the dog really had to go...

WRH, for me the appeal of scary movies is the same appeal as roller coasters. Approaching and experiencing a fearful experience and coming out unharmed at the end gives a great feeling of relief, almost euphoria. Although there was this one coaster I rode that is probably in Hell's amusement park now. It was torn down a decade or so ago. Raging Wolf Bobs at Geuga Lake in Ohio.

Question: how long from when Mr. Weiner started urinating until he turned tail and ran home?
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+5
3 years ago (2020-10-18)
Geez... I know of many irresponsible dog owners that should come across one of those trees.

Hello whr1969.

The way your dog reacted was strange but, if something was in the tree, wouldn't it have prevented the dog from getting close and doing his business?

I'm not sure if the weight on your chest was sleep paralysis or if it was an upset spirit but am glad to know that you were able to break out of it after a short time.

Guam sounds like land full of mystery.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: