You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Lady In Red Dress

Real Ghost Stories

The Lady In Red Dress

 

This haunting happened back when I was 14-15 years old, around 1998. I'm finally able to tell this story because my parents had moved out to a new neighborhood. I couldn't bring myself to share this event because in the back of my mind, I was worried if the ghost would haunt my parents since they lived closer to her grave.

It was 1998, my family has been staying in a house with a vast front yard for around 3 years then. Next to that big yard is a cemetery, a typical Javanese - Muslim cemetery shaded in frangipani trees which gives eerie feeling even during the day. We never had any 'encounter' before. Grandma - actually she was my youngest sister's nanny but we consider her as family and called her Mbah (it's grandma in Javanese) told us that ghost or unseen creatures are scared of young kids. My 3 younger siblings were around 6-10 years old back then. It was said that Young kids could see them and it's their bad luck to be seen by kids.

Then, a distant neighbor's daughter got murdered by her husband after an argument. She requested divorce but he rejected and went furious when he saw her packed her clothes to go home to her parent's. The couple were living in a city called Surabaya back then. It was a horrifying murder as the wife's white shirt turned red because of the blood. The parent took her home to be buried in her home town and the cemetery is right nearby my old house.

The haunting started just three days after the funeral. People claimed to see a woman in red dress, standing right outside the alley which lead to the cemetery with a lot of luggage. She often seen trying to stop Ojek (motorbike transport) after midnight. If the Ojek stopped for her, they would ended up in the middle of cemetery.

I am a morning person, I woke up really early in the morning because I am the oldest daughter. I often saw ojek rider came out from the cemetery alley early in the morning. My Dad would say, "She's at it again." Soon the rumor about the lady in red dress spread all over the village.

I didn't really believe it back then. I thought it was just a rumor spread by some irresponsible people, because ever since the rumor started, the neighborhood night watch stopped and burglaries started happening.

But it turned out, it was the burglaries that took advantage of the ghost. It was my last year of junior high school and we went on a trip to the city of Jogja. I have 3 classmate lived nearby my house so we decided to go home together. It was 2 AM in the morning and my teacher decided to send all four of us home in his car. When we passed that alley lead to the cemetery, all 5 of us, including my teacher, saw that lady in red dress, standing under the street light, with the big suitcases next to her. She stretched her hand as if stopping my teacher's car. All four of us knew who that lady was and when our teacher about to stopped for her, we immediately shouted at him; NO! My teacher was pretty taken aback, wondering why we stopped him from stopping for that lady. I nudged my friend to tell the teacher later about that lady in red dress, because I had to get off first, and I thought my friend did tell my teacher about that lady in red dress.

To my shock, the very next morning, there was this uproar in my village; about a car in the middle of a cemetery. And the car was my teacher's! It was still a mystery how the car got there, the alley itself was very narrow and my teacher's car was an 8 seater. I asked my friend whether she told the teacher or not, and she swore she did. I guessed my teacher didn't believe us or he might be curious about that lady in red dress. Because after that, he tried as much as he can to avoid us. I graduated from junior high school a month later.

The lady in red dress still appeared sometimes, had an encounter with my father as well once or twice. My father told us that as long as she didn't disturb us, let her be. Because my house used to be pretty close to the cemetery where she was buried, I decided to kept the story to myself, we sort of treating her like a neighbor that we didn't want to associate with; we know she was there but we preferred not to disturb her. Two months ago, my parents moved out from that house after my mother retired. So I think I can share her story now that my parents are living away from her.

Other hauntings by Piscesian

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Piscesian, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Piscesian (4 stories) (7 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2021-09-21)
[at] RCRuskin
I am already moved away from the village but according to my old neighbor, she is still occasionally showing up. Back in the late 1990s when she first appeared, the werent enough street light in the area though she always stood under one of the street light in front of the entrance the cemetery. The government recently fix the road as well as putting more street lights in the area. People in the neighborhood could only make assumptions on why she brought these drivers into the cemetery. Like I said earlier, probably because her family already moved out from that village or because she's in a loop, constantly repeating the last moment of her life (packing up to go home before her husband killed her)
Piscesian (4 stories) (7 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-03-08)
[at] RCRuskin she's not malicious. According to the elders who often hang out with my father during night watch, on why she took the drivers into the cemetery, they think that she's one of those lost ghost, stuck in loop of the moment before she died; she had already packed her luggage and about to go home to her parent when her husband killed her. She took them into the cemetery because it's her home now.
It's very sad actually, I heard that her family also sold their home and moved away from the area. Probably that's another reason why she brought those drivers into the cemetery.
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-02-18)
This sounds like a really spooky incident, I suppose that she is still trying to go to her parents house but if that's the case why would the vehicles be found in the cemetery? Do you have any idea what happened to her husband?

It's very hard to know for certain if it's really a spirit or a evil entity trying to mimic the soul, has there been any sort of incident apart from the hitch hiking to say whether it could be a malevolent entity?

Thank you for sharing your story with us and I'll look forward to reading from you.
Piscesian (4 stories) (7 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-02-15)
She basically just doing that, standing under the street light trying to stop a car or motorbike rider.
It was said that she got killed while trying to leave her husband's house; I read in the newspaper back then that her husband hacked the back of her head from behind when she was stepping out from the house. I guess in her ghostly form she still thinking that she is going home, that's why she always appeared with suitcases and trying to stop car or motorbike rider.
No one knows why she took these people into the cemetery.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-02-14)
What a sad and tragic tale. I am curious if she is actively malicious or just mildly misbehaving.

Normally, and I'm just comparing this story to the Vanishing Hitchhiker because it most resembles that narrative, when picked up the lady asks to be taken to her parents' house, disappearing from the vehicle during travel.

Why does this lady take the drivers into the cemetery?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: