You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Wedding Day

Real Ghost Stories

My Wedding Day

 

I would like to begin by giving you all a little background on my Mother. My Mother was a wonderful person. She was in every sense of the word a lady. Mom loved butterflies, she pasted stickers with butterflies and flowers on the walls of her house. She also loved hummingbirds, any birds really but especially hummingbirds.

Mom was diagnosed with cancer for the second time sometime around Christmas of 2004. It became apparent early in 2005 that she wasn't going to make it through this particular battle. Mom asked me if I would go find this guy I had dated in high school that she and my Dad both just loved. His name is Jackie. I found him and told him that Mom wanted him to come to see her before she passed away.

He went the same week to see her and started going to see her 2 to 3 times a week. Mom passed away May 25th, 2005. Mom had a different kind of humor about her and sometimes you couldn't tell if she was joking or not. I remember her telling me she would come check on us (us being her 8 children and various son-in-laws she felt particularly attached to) when she was gone. Mom always did believe in that kind of thing.

After she passed away I started dating Jackie. Mom always said she thought I should have married Jackie when I dated him in high school. In September of 2007 Jackie and I got married at 6 pm in the church I grew up in. The day of the wedding I left home at noon, I got about 1/2 a mile from my house when I drove into what I describe as a "cloud" of little purple butterflies. I immediately thought of Mom. I called my sister from my cell phone to tell her what had happened and she too thought it could be Mom.

I went on to the church and got ready for the wedding, everything went off without a hitch. Jackie and I arrived home after the wedding and had dinner, because it was a fairly nice evening, not too hot and not too cool, we went out and sat together on the front porch swing. We sat there for a little while just talking and holding hands when I saw a hummingbird. It just kind of buzzed around a little bit and left so I didn't think much of it. Then 3 or 4 hummingbirds came buzzing around, this was getting a little weird, but they left too. Then about 8 or 9 hummingbirds came buzzing around. Now I guess I should mention here that I have never put hummingbird feeders out at my house.

At this point I was pretty sure that my Mom was responsible and I like to think she was saying congratulations.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LouBaby, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

PlaydoughMaster (8 stories) (38 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-05)
This is a sweet story. Some people believe that when you die you become something else. You get reborn into something else. Who knows you could of been an animal at some point too and you just don't know it. Some people though have the ability to set there heart and mind to something in order to become something. It seems like that's what your mom did.
mzih8u (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-22)
Hi LouBaby, that is such a beautiful story.
I know I'm a little late posting but I just found this place!
I definately think it was your mother and I guess she believed that was the best way to make her self known so she couldn't miss out on your very special day.
I have no doubt that at the church there would have been butterflies and hummingbirds watching the ceremony.
laus (3 stories) (26 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
aww that is such a beautiful story, there are some things in this world that we will never know how or why but its sweet that she was there for you. Take care god bless x
LouBaby (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
Thank you to all who have read and commented on my story. My Mom was a truly remarkable woman. Even while she was dying she was full of grace and dignity, Mom was in every sense of the word a lady. Through your comments I have received a little more education (thank you to Whitebuffalo and Tonith) and lots of support and comfort. Mom was ready to go, she had made her peace and for that I am truly grateful. Thanks again to all who have shown their support through their comments. God bless each of you.
LouBaby
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
Hi LouBaby. I have to agree with you that the butterflies and the Humming birds were a sign from your Mother that she is happy and saying congratulations! Thank you for sharing your story.

SHELBY ❤ 😊
essiej (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-17)
What a nice thing for your Mama to do for your wedding day. Nice to know that our angels are people we know too.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-15)
Your Mom was there to keep track of you, and what you were doing. Just because she has passed on, don't mean she can't visit with you. This she did, with the butterflies and the hummingbirds. She knew if you seen these, you would know who they were from.
A very nice story. I seen in a book not long ago, a statue of hummingbird and it had butterflies surrond it. Would be nice if you could get something like t his, put in your home, and it would keep alive that day on your wedding.
littleladywolf (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-15)
This was a great story. I have been wanting to get a tatoo of a hummingbird with the same color. When I readed your story it made me think about it more. Thank You for your story 🤔 Littleladywolf
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-15)
Cool,but sorry 😢 about your mothers death(which is near my birthday). Hope you won't be scared of her spirit that can often visit you.

Be Brave LouBaby, she will visit you.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-15)
You know what I think is GREAT about this experience, LouBaby?
The animals that were the favorites of your Mother say so much about who she must have been. What a dynamic woman. I also think that it is quite telling that on your wedding day that she sent you the two animals that personify the characteristics that are needed to have a successful marriage.
The butterfly symbolizes a metamorphosis, transformation, balance, grace, ability to accept change (THAT is SO important for a good marriage). And the hummingbird (well, aside from being a messenger) symbolizes timelessness, healing, and the need to sometimes be a warrior (Now, is that NOT true of a good marriage?)
Even the colors of the butterflies showed what her wishes for you and your marriage are. Purple has been used to symbolize magic, mystery, and good judgment. It is said if you surround yourself with purple you will have peace of mind.
How beautiful. And what a priceless wedding gift.
Thank you.
LouBaby (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-14)
Hello all, thanks to each of you for your comments. Jackie is indeed a true gift to me. He is the love of my life.
To Frawin, I think she sent so many hummingbirds so I would know for sure that it was her. I geuss it couldv'e been her and her gang that came to see me, I hadn't really thought about that. And I am glad she has come to check on you too.
Thanks to all who have commented, God bless you,LouBaby
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-14)
Hello Lou. Yes, I believe that Mom was behind the birds and butterflies, sending you a message. Her spirit may have came in the form of a humming bird to say "hi"- have you ever stopped to think who the other birds might have been 😊.I know for a fact that she has checked in on at least one of her son-in-laws 😊.Take Care.

FRAWIN
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-14)
Wow, what a great story. Perhaps your husband was her last gift to you and the butterflies and hummingbirds were her way of letting you know she was happy for you. That is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer ❤
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-14)
What a wonderful way for your mother to let you know she is aware of your special day. I too love hummingbirds and butterflies. We have a tree that attracts both and it's wonderful to watch them. But I have never seen them as you described. That was no ordinary happening. I have always thought of butterflies as a symbol of transformation and transition. Hummingbirds are just amazing creatures and it boggles the mind to see how fast the wings have to beat and how speedy they are in flight. I truly believe we would not have helicopters today if not for this tiny and beautiful bird. What a wonderful uplifting story. Thanks for sharing.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-14)
Beautiful story LouBaby. I think your mum was a very insightful lady who, not only knew the true nature of love, but even knew how to bring you closer to it. I suppose that her love for you and your family will always "bring" you "gifts" as your wishes will be her prayers coming true. May God rest her soul.

Tammy 😊 ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: