You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Frightening Happenings in the Basement

Real Ghost Stories

Frightening Happenings in the Basement

 

I have always believed in ghosts but never thought that my house was haunted. But one night, I had a vivid dream that took place in my house. I dreamt I was another person running from something. The furniture in my dream was different and looked older than the furniture that was in my house at the time. I woke up and for some reason, I was really terrified.

Shortly after, I would hear things like footsteps, doors opening/closing, and occasionally, heavy breathing at night. It always took place around two in the morning. Eventually, I started going to bed earlier and would be asleep at that time so I would not hear it. But on the occasional nights where I would be awake, I would hear those noises.

Once my mom's boyfriend moved in however, all strange noises stopped. I volunteered to let him have my room, so that meant that I had to sleep in the basement. I moved all of my things down there. Once he moved out, I was comfortable down there and decided to stay.

Shortly after he left though, I started hearing those noises again. This time they were louder and distinctly closer to me than they were when I slept upstairs. Once, I'd even heard what sounded like someone stomping on the stairs going down into my room, but when I look, nothing is there.

For a while it was only noises, but eventually it started to turn a bit more frightening. There are two rooms to my basement, one is the room I sleep in and the other is a storage room, sometimes the door to the storage room would be unlocked and open. At first I thought it was just my mom or sister going to get something, but the few times I've asked them about it and they say that they didn't go in. Also, there have been times when my new personal heater would not shut off... Until I would get up and turn on the lights.

Once when I was investigating a noise that sounded like heavy breathing from my bed, I saw someone in the corner. It was a shadowy silhouette of a tall man. At first I thought it was in intruder, so I turned to get a weapon and when I looked up, he was gone. It was a little past two. My room is not big, and there is nowhere to go except for up the stairs or into the storage room. I was only turned away for two seconds at the most. I did not hear anyone run up the stairs, nor did not hear the storage door open (it is very noisy, takes a lot of force to open, and was across the room from the shadow.)

Another time, I had a friend spend the night. (I did not tell him about the noises or what I had seen.) I fell asleep before he did. The next morning, he told me that around two he thought he heard someone whistling. He looked to see if it was me, but it wasn't. He said that he looked up and saw a dark, tall, silhouette standing in the corner. He said that he tried to wake me up but I wouldn't move. When he looked back, the shadow was gone.

One night, I came home from my neighbor's around two in the morning. I was not tired because I'd taken a long nap that day. Walking up to the house I felt like something was not right. Just to be sure, I looked around and everything was normal. I was lying in my bed and I heard footsteps coming toward my room. It sounded like it stopped right at the top of the stairs. I figured it was just my mom making sure I was home and I rolled over and attempted to go to sleep.

Then, I heard heavy footsteps coming down my stairs. It turned over to look, but nothing was there. I got spooked, but after a while nothing happened so I tired to go to bed. After a few minutes, I heard something walking toward me, it stepped on a few pieces of paper. I looked over, and the paper was moving like someone had stepped on it and then stepped off only nobody was there. I had my heater on, but at that moment, it got very cold, and all of sudden I was very sleepy. I lied down in my bed, and right when I was about to go to sleep, I felt something pressing on my throat. At that moment, I got up. But I would want to go back asleep. The same thing would happen each time I was just about to go to sleep, but each time it would get more and more intense.

When it started getting too intense, my body involuntarily started flailing around, like it was struggling. As my body was struggling, it felt like something was trying to hold me down. Each time it would stop, I would start to get sleepy and fall back onto my bed, but my body would start moving around like it was not only fighting the sleep, but fighting what was holding me down. At first, I had no control over my body. It felt more like I was on a roller coaster and my body was the machine. It felt like I was just going along with it. When I thought of that, I tried to scream, but my screams came out muffled. I tried to get up and run away, but I would get pushed back down. I tried to grab my phone, but my phone got thrown across the room by whatever force was keeping me from getting help.

At one point, the force got very powerful out of nowhere. I remember seeing my arm in front of me while I was sitting up, and that was the last thing I saw. I was moving, I felt my head moving, I felt my body moving, but the only thing I could see was that moment where my hand was in front of me while I was sitting up. The next thing I saw was my ceiling. After a few moments I realized that I was lying half off the bed. I felt myself convulsing and I could not move. The next thing I remember was waking up a few hours later and going to work. I was back in my bed the way I usually sleep, and I could remember what had happened. Just to make sure it wasn't a dream, I looked next to me for my phone (where I always keep it no matter what), but it was across the room.

I don't know what happened. Ever since, I've slept in my house only three times. I will only go into the basement if I really need to, or if somebody is with me. When I told this story to a friend, he got scared and said that he thinks I got possessed. Everyone else thought I was crazy.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, discodevil, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

discodevil (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-01)
i've been wanting to find out my houses history. The area I live in is one of the oldest in my city, and my general neighborhood was built over an old horse racetrack. (i'm not sure exactly where the racetrack was, but I know my house was either part of or very close to it.) lately, one ghost has been really active in my house, the one who makes noises and opens things. I don't get a bad vibe from him, it just startles me when it's late at night. I went into my basement the other day and it was freezing. I definately felt a strong, malicious presense. I can still feel something bad there and I want to get rid of it. I just hope it doesn't follow me upstairs.
GhostFollowerKate (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-28)
That would have been very scary, 😕
I think you should check on the House History. I rly don't think anything possessed you though. More like a violent ghost.
xx
poltergeist45 (1 stories) (46 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-25)
Wow, that must have been terribly frighting. Your friend was somewhat true when he said you were under possession. You werent under possession, but to me it sounded like there is a demon in your house.
You should consider getting your house blessed, that should stop it for a while but the demon might come back, but more angry and powerful. I do hope your situation will get better.
GhostGal (6 stories) (104 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-20)
holy cow... THAT is scaaary! You probabally got possessed. I suggest getting profetional help. Like a preist or ghost unter's that can preform something to help you. Are things still happenning to you?

~Gejro
Mello27 (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-18)
deffinantly a scary situation to be a part of. It does seem that its a combination of things that are happening. I can relate to the shadow people comming and goin, its happened to me a time or two. Well I hope all is well now, thanks for sharing.
discodevil (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-17)
thanks for the repsonses everyone! I would like to think that they could be individual. Cause than I would only be afraid of one, which would be the sleep paralysis. I have the feeling that they are all one, but I could be wrong. Maybe they all work together if they are individual? Hmmm. That's a scary thought!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-14)
Hmm. It almost would sound as if you have a few things happening in that house, discodevil.
It would sound as if you have a sleep paralysis, a residual haunting, and possibly an intelligent haunting as well. As all experiences seemed to end while your mom's boyfriend was there, I would say that he had some powers of his own. Either that or the ghosties were scared of HIM.
As you heard the piece of paper, and saw what looked like someone stepping on and then off of it, that would be your intelligent haunt. Your residual haunt would be like when everything happened around two in the morning. And the sleep paralysis would be when you seemed to be having a seizure during your "down time".
I could be wrong on this, but I do not feel all of the things you wrote about are connected. They seem to all be individual occurrences.
Thank you.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-14)
Wow this is a great story. I have to agree with jennifer here. It is so hard to tell someone about the activity if no one believes in you. It happens. Thanks for sharring the story with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-13)
How completely terrifying for you! It is the worst when you aren't believed. I also grew up in a house that had some strange goings on and I seem to be the target. I completely sympathize with you there. I hope that never happens to you again. That is very strange.

Jennifer ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: