You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Beautiful Women in our Driveway

Real Ghost Stories

The Beautiful Women in our Driveway

 

When I was nine years old in the late 1970's, my twin sister and I were playing in our long driveway at the very end near the back side door and garage. Our house was big and old with two stories. My parents only used the front part of the driveway to park their cars and sectioned it off by putting up a fence with a gate a little past the middle of the driveway. The garage was at the end and was used for storage only.

It was a warm sunny Sunday afternoon when we were playing in the driveway, my parents were both in the living room with my father at the dining room table reading through "his" important papers, and my mother on the sofa reading one of her woman's magazines.

I forget exactly what we were playing in the driveway, but we were really into it when out of nowhere we hear a soft, very sweet woman's voice calling out "excuse me, excuse me". We stopped what we were doing and both look up towards the gate where the voice was coming from. Seeing a very pretty youngish woman, about 30ish, standing there at the fence behind the gate, we both just automatically not thinking anything of it, walked right up to her. We did notice immediately that she did not look like anyone else we had ever seen and that her clothes were of another time like from the 30's or 40's. She had that short waved hair they wore then, a hat with the mesh like veil covering her forehead and a black skirt suit on with a matching jacket that you see in the old movies of that time. She wore black gloves that was also worn by women in that time period.

She rested both of her hands over the gate. She had a very pretty smile with red lipstick on and we both remember her creamy white skin and green eyes. The lipstick is the only makeup we remember her wearing. She smelled nicely also, we both will never forget her perfume smell.

As we were standing there looking up at her in wonderment because she was a young woman, not an old woman, wearing these old style clothes and hair and very pretty, she then asked us both "where is your father?", "can I please see your father?".

We both thought it was strange but I managed to tell her "I'll go get him", we both then go through the back side door, ran in the house and into the living room where my parents were and yelled "Mom, Dad, there is a really pretty lady in the driveway wearing old style clothes asking to see Dad", "Dad come on", I said, "she wants to see you and is asking for you..." My mom always being the skeptic just said "it's probably someone from church..." I knew it wasn't and so did my sister. And for some reason when my mother said that I honestly just knew in my heart it was a ghost, strange but true. My sister said she knew upon seeing her that it was a ghost but wasn't scared.

Onto the story, my dad gets up and follows us through the house without saying anything and we all three go out the back side door into the driveway and the young woman was gone. We told our dad it was true she was here, he just said "alright, alright", "I believe you", but didn't really sound convincing. We looked up and down the street and there was no sight of this strange woman.

To this day we talk about it, my mother says she also remembers this incident. It will always be a mystery to us as to who she was, a long dead relative of my father's coming by to say hello to him? Someone that had to do with the house before my parents bought it? We just will never know for sure. Thanks for reading.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, pinkroses, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

migelito23 (32 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-06)
I imagine this good looking lady was looking for her boyfriend
Who lived there before your parent buy the house. And this
Pretty lady was looking for that person I imagine.
But the weird thing is that she wanted to see your father
It doesn't make any sense, problably is long relative of your dad,
Twilighter9829 (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-17)
wow so I'm not going insane:) I'm not the only one who sees solid ghosts good, I tried to post my story of a ghost I saw but they wouldn't let me...
ominousnyxx (10 stories) (136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-02)
Pinkroses, I know that a "ghost" can appear in solid form, but you have have other conclusions.

Besides, you have to realise that not everyone has to believe a ghost story, you're going to have to get use to the fact that there might be some people who are skeptical about some stuff. You have to respect that.

With my one of my story I had a comment validating that it could have been just my imagination and the lack of food or something, I respected that and actually some what agreed on it.

But since you feel so strongly about it, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, I'm still a little bit skeptical still.
pinkroses (1 stories) (33 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-06-02)
ominousnyxx, ah, this is "your ghost stories!" What is so hard to believe, unless your a skeptic, cool, that a youngish and beautiful woman ghost would appear in solid form in an "old" house that had previous owners? And that her attire was strictly dated to a time period of the 30's or 40's right down to the last stitch, is very unlikely it was a costume. Her hair and makeup was so authentic also. She disappeared because she was a "ghost". I know it. And it is not unusual for ghost to be seen in "solid" form. Thank you all.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-06-02)
Is it possible that the young woman was of another time but had been there looking for someone else of another time? Perhaps she was a neighbor to someone and this meeting or conversation that they had at that time held signifigance for her.

Thanks for sharing!

God Bless!
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-02)
Hey ominousnyxx, I don't think that ghost woman is actually a crazy woman who wants to meet pinkroses's father. She might have been a lost ghost or a poltergeist.

Let me hope that the ghost does not make disturbing acts in your house...
ominousnyxx (10 stories) (136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-02)
Did it ever occur to you that his "lady" could have been a nut job who got her clothes from a costune store?

When she asked for your dad, she just simply walked away? Sorry, but yeaah, you can't really go around saying that a person who wears 'old styled clothing' is a ghost.

Could have been some psycho lady looking for some action. 😆
MKeynes (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-02)
Oddly, your story holds no suggestion of anything unusual other than her attire - which I feel in itself cannot be considered paranormal. That description might suggest Elizabeth Short, I agree, but without more information of the location of the geography (for sightings of Short are rarely outside the scope of her known movements) and additional pointers to this figure being non-corporeal, one must remain open on any conclusions.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-01)
Great story. Not many of us get to see a solid apparition during our lifetime. Probably had something to do with the house. Maybe the woman knew the family that lived there at one time. It's rare when ghosts look solid and actually interact with the living. Guess no one thought of it at the time but wonder if she would have disappeared had someone stayed out there with her while someone else went to get dad? Maybe that's a good thing in retrospect. I'm sure that would be frightening for a child to see someone disappear before their eyes. Apparently all spirit encounters are not scary while others seem terrifying. Don't know if it's our reaction or the spirit's vibration that either makes us feel safe or scared.
key2theafterlife (24 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-31)
wow to have really meet the Black Dahlia! That would be wonderfully amazing.
Peace Around The World 4 Generations
Groovy
Key2theafterlife ❤ ❤
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-31)
Thanks for the clarification on the area in which you lived at the time. Ms. Short lived--and died--in southern California, not the Bay area.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-31)
Pinkroses, I really enjoyed your story. Thank you for sharing this experience--I hope you have others for us.

One of the aspects of your story that I find fascinating is that this beautiful woman seems to be--if I properly understand your description--standing in the interior of your house lot. It doesn't appear that she wandered down the sidewalk onto the lot from the outside, but instead seems to be associated with the lot. She also summoned you to the gate--a feature of the lot that clearly post-dates her. It is entirely conjecture, but I wonder if she was concerned about the fence since it would have physically altered how the lot was previously used. Many hauntings seem to stem from physical alterations to standing structures, so I wonder if the installation of the fence and her appearance are connected. Do you think maybe she wanted to ask her father--politely--to remove it or open the gate so she could take a drive? She does seem to be dressd for being in public.

This spectral dame sounds as though she stepped out of a Raymond Chandler novel. This is one apparation I would not mind meeting!
awesomchick (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-31)
Pinkroses, this story is ah-masing! Did you ever see her again? If you did see her again, did she say anything besides "excuse me, excuse me" and "where is your father?", "can I please see your father?"? 😲
pinkroses (1 stories) (33 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-30)
Hi, the house is in Oakland, CA. And no we have never seen her again after that incident but there were other spiritual activity in that house on and off.
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-30)
Pinkroses, where were you living in California at the time this happened? I wonder if you might have encountered Elizabeth Short, aka The Black Dahlia.
frenchpoet (10 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-30)
This story is def. One of my favorites! Have you had any more encounters with her?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: