You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: It Was Not Sleep Paralysis

Real Ghost Stories

It Was Not Sleep Paralysis

 

This story takes place 8 years ago when I was 17 years old and going through my rebellious teenage years. My best friend Lola and I worked at a Deli shop were she was the manager so we spent a lot of time together. I was hanged with the wrong crowd and doing things that I shouldn't have been doing (this is the past) which included drug use.

My friend Lola lived with her boyfriend Robby who was also a manager at the Deli shop and we constantly partied together. We would have Crazy nights were we would stay up 2 days straight just hanging in the apartment and listening to music and having people over.

One night it was just Lola, Robby, and I. We were using drugs and listening to the Godsmack C.D. I don't know if you know who Godsmack is but most of there lyrics are Diabolic or about drug use. We all got real into the C.D. especially the song "Voo Doo". We were talking crazy stuff and just pretty much stayed up all night.

I finally went home the next night and fell asleep almost instantly. At about 3am I woke up and could not move. This has happened to me before and my mother always told me to just pray to God and it will go away which did usually work.

This time it was different. As guilty as I felt, I did pray but it didn't work. I was sleeping on my side and was able to look at my stereo which I had left turned off but it was on and the lights were moving across and the time said 3am. I thought maybe I did leave it on but when I looked at the back it was disconnected! I panicked and screamed as loud as I could for my mom and dad but almost nothing more than a whisper came out.

I must have snapped out of it and I got up and tried to open the door but it would not move! I was locked in my room. All of a sudden I felt a push throw me back on the bed. All I remember was just laying there waiting for morning. I must have fallen asleep because when I woke up it was light outside.

The next day when I went to work I told Lola what had happened. When I finished my story she made this face I could never forget. She told me that the same exact thing happened to her and Robby that night at around the same time.

After this experience I quit my partying. I don't know why but to this day I think that listening to the Godsmack C.D. is what caused this and I also don't believe that sleep paralysis is a medical condition. I believe its something more paranormal and demonic.

This is the first story I am submitting so I hope you enjoyed it and would like to hear your opinion. If you have any questions feel free to ask or send me and email.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ariessa25, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sogni (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-28)
I recall one particular dream about my late granny. I am not going to take you through the dream as, in this instance, its content is irrelevant. What is of relevance however, is that I called my sister (who lives in a different part of Europe) to tell her about my dream (as I was sincerely disturbed by it) and to my utter astonishment, she had the same very dream, the same very night! Now, when I was younger, I partied, partied and partied and loved it! My sister; however, has studied, studied and studied! She is the utmost level headed person I know, an educator and an artist (and more). I can take it... My experience could have been due to my past conduct (although during that period I was saint like) but what about my sister? 😐
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
I will certainly not judge you on your extracurricular activites, so to speak. I also will not refute the idea that you insist this was not sleep paralysis. However, I assure you that sleep paralysis is indeed a physiological phenomenon that has been scientifically proven. Perhaps it is not the cause of your petrification in this sense, but it without a doubt does exist naturally and is in no way always evidence of a supernatural force.

What happens is this: when you're going to sleep, each bundle of nerves in your body fires one last time to expunge any impulses pent up during your daytime activity. This is why you often feel a jerk or twitch in your shoulders, calves, hands, etc. Just before you fall asleep. Sometimes, this twitch is enough to wake you up temporarily. This all occurs after your brain has "shut-off" for the night. So, in order, first your brain "turns off" and then your body does.

Conversely, when you awake, most of the time, first your nerves activate (the body) and then your brain activates and you "wake up..." However, on occasion, sometimes your brain activates before your body has and for a few seconds (or even minutes in some terrifying cases), your mind is quickening, but your body is still asleep. This incongruence is what accounts for most sleep paralysis--which isn't paralysis at all, actually, but just a temporary immobility.

This is not a theory, it is medical fact. And, again, while I am not asserting that this was the cause of your personal experience, know that it does indeed happen.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-14)
I have never had sleep paralysis but I know people that have and it ususally happened when they were stressed out about something. You had guilt about how you were living your life so guess that could have been the reason for your episode. How it could have happened to both you and your friends unless it was discussed before hand as someone suggested is the mystery. Hallucination from drugs and alcohol are common but for the same thing to happen in two different locations is weird to say the least. I don't buy the demonic thing about songs but then again many people do. I just think it was a bad reaction to drugs. If you both did the same kind of drugs I guess this could account for the same thing happening to both parties involved but I don't know much about drugs so this is reaching on my part. I know if this happened to me it would be the end of that kind of lifestyle for me pronto.
senseye (4 stories) (32 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-14)
yes I agree also to them, negative things attracts the same negative force or vibes... So keep the positive side in front of you... I'm glad youve found new light.

thank you for sharing this:) GOD BLESS!
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-13)
Maybe it was a relative or someone who cared about you or your friends reaching out from the other side to make you quit living life so hard. Just a thought. 😊
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-13)
Again I will have to agree with Kim. Whatever brought this on, whether paranormal or normal, it was quite clear that you were in need to change your life as well as some unhealthy habbits.

Thanks for submitting your experience and hope that you no longer experience anything negative.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-12)
I hate to bring up the obvious here, but is it possible that your guilt, ethics and morals accompanied by drugs and alchol caused these things to present themselves to you? To make you change your ways, so to speak?

I know you stated that your friend and her boy friend had the same dreams. I am just wondering if perhaps you all had discussed your behaviors at some point in time and something that occured that night while you were partying brought this about?

What ever the case and what ever occured, I am glad you are no longer in to that type of life style. Drugs and alcohol ruin and destroy many wonderful people.

Thank you for sharing your story with us, I am sure it was not an easy story to share.

God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: