You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Things That Go Bump In The Evening

Real Ghost Stories

Things That Go Bump In The Evening

 

I was trying to write a paper (a really important paper, at that) when I received an unexpected call from my mom. She didn't even bother to say "Hello".

"Are you coughing?"

I was a little surprised, but I told her that I had actually triggered my asthma the week before, but all symptoms had ceased and I was just fine. I asked what her deal was. She seemed really shocked that I wasn't dying (my mom has always been the dramatic one in the family), and then started explaining to me that she had just gotten home from work, had just eaten dinner, and had just started watching Reba on Lifetime, when, quite distinctly, she heard me coughing in my bedroom.

Completely forgetting that she was all alone in the house (as she was every evening), she yelled out something about getting a drink of water or taking my inhaler, and stopped herself mid-sentence when reality struck her and she remembered I was away at school.

She went on to say that I did not respond (surprise!), that she did peek inside my room and no one was there (surprise!), and that she was, to say the least, rather creeped out.

I told her that she must have been hearing things and maybe she was just over-tired from work (anything to get her off the phone so that I could finish my paper), when she said:

"But this isn't the first time..."

I was a little tired myself, and she was afraid that our house was haunted, so I told her I really needed to get off the phone to write a paper for class. She unwillingly hung up. She hasn't mentioned it since.

Other hauntings by frenchpoet

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, frenchpoet, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-19)
I thing it's something how all of us mother's thought about your mom when you said you were trying to get her off the phone. I know if I called my daughter Emilie and she tried to get rid of me it would break my heart! 😭 specialy in a moment like that one where she was wanting to talk to someone. So, I'm glad that you called her back and talked to her.

...Thanks for sharring.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-19)
I would have like to seen your mothers face when she realized that you were not the one coughing.W [at] ow very scary! Thanks for sharring another story with us french poet. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-18)
I think you have already mentioned it in one of your experiences but I cannot recall for sure.

So, I was wondering... Is your room anywhere near the attic?

Could she have heard someone else coughing that day and the fact that you were also coughing was coincidental?

Reading your stories more closely, I couldn't help but wonder if there's more to the attic incidents than I originally perceived.
frenchpoet (10 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
Sorry! I didn't have a lot of time to reply before.

Okay, she said that occasionally hears me in my bedroom when I'm not home. At first I assumed it was because she misses me. I know that sometimes I hear Suzy (my little puppy that passed away last year) on my bed or walking around the house and it feels more like I'm used to her being there (or was) than her ghost being there. However, she was a lot more terrified about the whole tote incident (read The Tote) than this one. This incident creeped her out but she felt it was due to a connection- she always claimed she could tell when I was sick. I was only skeptical because she was a week off. I did call her back though and she was completely fine.
frenchpoet (10 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
Yeah, I talked to her about it when I was done. She thought she was hearing me (like a mother-daughter bond) but then she would have been a week late. She thinks our attic is haunted, but that's about it.
dukemanistan (3 stories) (34 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
I agree with others you should go talk to her, apologize for not being able to talk at that time but make time to talk when you can. It may be she had a momentary Deja Vu and imagined it, it may be that you left some sort of psychic impression there that echoes occasionally, or it may be something else entirely, but I'm sure she would feel better to talk about it.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
That must have been a disturbing realization for your mom!

I have to wonder though, was it the emotional bond between some family members that makes certain people almost psychic or was there a "visitor", maybe a deceased family member who wanted to warn your mom about your miscomfort?

Strange!
chelleck (3 stories) (56 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
frenchpoet,

Did you ever get the chance to call your Mom back? She may really need to talk (speaking from a mother's point of view).

It probably freaked her out is why she wasn't ready to hang up just yet.
iamnoone (2 stories) (18 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
I often wonder if that is just residual energy in the house. I've heard other people talking and what not when no one was around. It was usually a familiar voice or laugh.

I agree. It's still creepy especially if you're alone, but seems pretty harmless.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: