You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Demons / Possessions / Exorcisms :: The Devil, And The Graveyard

Real Ghost Stories

The Devil, And The Graveyard

 

This story takes place in 1986 when I was eight years old. It was June and my Grandfather had passed away a week or two before father's day. All of our family went to the graveyard after the wake like families do. Most of the grown ups were gathered at the grave and all of us kids (probably 20 of us) were all standing further away talking and some were playing tag around the headstones. I know, not very respectful, but there were a lot of little kids all being very impatient.

All of a sudden, all of the noises stopped, the birds weren't chirping, I can't remember hearing the adults talking- I couldn't even hear the other kids. I looked around and I saw something out of the corner of my eye walking along the edge of the graveyard right on the tree line. I weaved through the other kids to get a better look. And right there walked the devil-red skin, horns, tail, and all. I was just frozen, unable to move, or talk. I couldn't do anything but stand there and stare.

After what seemed like a long time, I was able to look around and my little brother was standing next to me. He was 5. I don't remember him coming up to me. I was still terrified and went to find my mother. I took my little brother by the hand to go find her. The whole time, I was trying to keep my eye on the tree line to see if I could still see him.

When I found my mother I tried to get her to look around. My little brother was crying, come to think of it, I was probably too. My mom wouldn't pay much attention to us. So I started yelling "just look over there".

I guess I was making a big scene so my mother pulled me and my brother away from the adults and asked what was wrong. I told her to look but she said all she saw was a man walking along the edge of the graveyard. I remember saying "a man you see a man..." She said "Yes, a man in a black suit".

She also told me to calm down and that the man was probably walking over there not to disturb us. She also told us we had to quit carrying on, that we were at a funeral and had to be respectful.

I stood right next to her the rest of the time with my little brother attached to her other side. No one saw him, not the other kids, not any of the grown ups. Just I and I think my little brother, but he would never talk about it. When I would ask him he would say he didn't see anything and would get me in trouble for scaring him, so I eventually dropped it, but I know what I saw I can still see it today if I think about it.

Being an adult now I have tried to process it but still come up with the same thing. I saw the devil that day in the graveyard.

My brother would never talk about it, not even years later. But he has been in trouble all of his life. Detention home, to prison, to drugs, you name it. I always wondered if that day had something to do with it.

He insists he doesn't know what I'm talking about. He says he doesn't even remember the funeral. Maybe he's blocking it out.

I eventually told my mother but it wasn't for about a year since it happened. When I told her she did say she believed me and she was sorry for not paying attention to me when I was that upset.

I have had other paranormal experiences through out my life but nothing has ever compared to the fear and stomach dropping feeling I felt that day.

Other hauntings by IBelieve

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, IBelieve, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

lilymoncat (1 stories) (3 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-01-31)
That sounds like Belial to me, who is a High Demon, but not the Devil himself. Belial isn't one to trifle with, though, nor is he one to care to come to this world simply to walk through a graveyard for no purpose. You say your brother has been having trouble ever since that day, mayhap it was him Belial was after that day, and you were simply pulled into whatever madness he worked upon your brother.
Guy_Smiley (1 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
I know this topic is unsettling to some, however when I was 6 I saw the Devil as well. It's been almost 40 years now and I haven't really spoken about it until recently when my mother had visted and mentioned she saw a ghost in our old house. I told her that one day on the side of the house my father and I were walking along the garage I saw the devil looking out the window (the window set low on the garage, unsure why it was oddly positoined) so he had to be kneeling or something to be looking out. He had black hair, horns, dark black eyes and his red skin was sweaty and I could see his facial movements moving the skin. I saw him for about 8 seconds less than 4 feet away he looked at me and dashed into the darkness but made some sound as well. At the time I was not thinking anything scary I was just walking along the house on a nice sunny day. I was finally able to get the words out to tell my dad. Who didn't believe me. We immediately ran back into the house. I begged him not to open the garage door I was really scared. He hesitated but eventually searched the entire garage for what I saw and found nothing. I think in the end he believed me because he weighted the garage down so much that only he could lift it, I guess he thought someone got in. He was obviously shaken by what I had told him, I had never seen him scared before. We were the only ones home that day. After telling my mom the story, 40 years later, she turned white and said that is what she had seen a ghost or something red and black. I am embarassed to talk about this but I've held a secret all these years; my father use to tell me he sold his soul to the devil; this is no joke, she said that once she heard him say that as well. To this day I believe that he has, I wish that was not the case. I've always been sensitive to ghosts, but I only saw the devil that one time which once was enough for me. I consider myself spiritual but don't go to church much. One important point thou by reading these other comments, I too didn't care much for life at the time. You could imagine what horrors I grew up with having a father like the one I briefly described. I'm just an average guy that what I saw as a child would be characterized as the devil himself. I didn't see a tail nor anything else other than the head portion, still chills me to the bone to think about it. I wish my mother didn't say anything.
TigFewton (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-10)
This, I believe is the imagination of a child as others have said. I believe if you were to "see" the devil, I doubt that he would show up as he does in all this "folklore", describing him with horns and a tail... Red scales... So forth and so on. If anything, he would most certainly be disguised. I believe he would float under the radar, waiting for the right moment to make his presence known. Just a thought though...
Thegrinch17 (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-25)
Sometimes we see strange things during our lives, things were weren't meant to see but somehow do. I have seen something that I wasn't meant to see & I still think of it to this day. My experience also happened in 1986. If you want to read about it, go onto my profile page & it's in several comments I have left on several stories. It has to do with a figure in a long black hooded cloak that was next to my bed one night. I thought it was a dream but I think it was really there. I still to this day have no idea what it was. Not sure I want to know! ❤ 😲
blondeblz (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-04)
I also had an experience when I was about 5 years old.
My grandmother and I were in a hall way saying good bye to friends. (we were the friends home)
I looked up the stairs and a a large demon/devil looking thing stepped out into the top of the door way.
I got scared and looked away. Waiting a couple of minutes and looked again. It was still there.
I never went upstaires in that home again.
Vampiress (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-02)
the devil really has the whole bit--- tail, horns, pitchfork? I seriously doubt it. That might have been an exaggeration from your imagination, but I believe you saw something. But then, why would a demon be guarding Holy Ground?

Peace,
~Katy~
alex323 (5 stories) (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-31)
Though I do doubt you saw the horns, tail etc. I do believe that you saw a figure that frightened you. Maybe it was the devil, who knows? Personally I like to believe that he doesn't exist, but anything is probable.
Francois (220 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-16)
Greetings and salutations,

Hello IBelieve, your story is quite odd, if I may say. I do not understand why a demonic entity would be standing guard over supposedly Holy ground.

Maybe there was some connection between the burial and the entity. And maybe red, horns and tail could just be a figment of your imagination. I do believe there are ghosts and demons out there though. You could have the gift of clairvoyance. Who really knows what the paranormal is. I can only say thank you for posting your story, it made me think of entities even more. Pretty thrilling too. If you have any more experiences, I would certainly like to read about them, if you don't mind posting more experiences.

God bless, deus vobiscum and take care.

Sincerely,

Francois
IBelieve (3 stories) (31 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-20)
Thanks for the comments everyone. I do believe there was something there that day, and not just my imagination. Thanks for reading.
Katona1700s (8 stories) (168 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-19)
If the devil can do that maybe I should keep an eye on everything. I bet he is discissing himself as my little brother, my brother was always a little devil. 😜
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-19)
It has always been said that the devil has many diguises. Maybe what you saw as the devil, he showed himself to your mother as a man. Enjoyed your tale! 😁
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-19)
Well It could have been your imagination Like Frawin and Rhodes have said but it could have been something else, something more. I was kind of shocked that the both of you were so scared that you two were crying. I know that its pretty to scare a child but to scare them so badly that you wre crying well I think there was something there. A devil maybe no but a spirit maybe. Thanks for sharring your story with us. I hope to hear5 from you soon and take care
ZUKISMOM (5 stories) (58 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-19)
I believe that the devil has many, many faces and can change into any form. You were probably seeing him in one of them, and your mother in another form. I have seen him myself once and he came to me as a pitbull like dog with a human face standing next to my bed. The reason I say this is that I was a major alcohol and drug addict at the time. I have been recovered for many years now, but he was there to take full advantage of my misery and addiction. So stay strong and don't give up on your brother no matter how hard it is, because the devil will never give up trying to take him from you.
God Bless and stay strong

P
Hunters (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-18)
Dear IBelieve,
ooh that's completely scary. But I believe you, sometimes its hard to get parents to understand you.
Velvet (2 stories) (72 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-18)
I totally believe you. I once saw the devil myself (but it was a quick flash). It has behind my Dad and it was laughing. I think that certain people have the ability to see things and comprehend things that usually other people arent even aware of. I enjoyed your story and please tell me more. I also find it interesting how you mentioned that you brother is living a life of drugs, violence ect... Perhaps it could have had something to do with it. When I saw the devil behind my Dad; that was the period when my Dad was a major alcoholic, I was only like 7 and hated my life.

Thanks for sharing.
henry16 (1 stories) (43 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-18)
it's odd because if you were young you would usually relate the devil as red skinned horns and a tail, but as people get older they say that the devil looked like a man with a horses head, I think that the devil is a compilation of the things that worry you and scare you.
IBelieve (3 stories) (31 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
Theres not a church on the grounds but it is the churches graveyard. The church is about two miles down in a little town. I'm not sure how other people have seen the devil, but my mother saw a man in a black suit. It might not of been the devil himself (Lucifer) but what ever it was had a very threatenig presence. So maybe a demon or evil entity but what ever it was let me see it the way it wanted to and let my mother see different so I'm not sure. Thank you for your comments.
Faith1013 (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
i find it odd that you saw him walking the edge of the graveyard. I wonder if there was a church on site. In other words, whether you were on consecrated ground, per se. And I can't help but wonder - does everyone see the devil the same?
pinkroses (1 stories) (33 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
Cemetaries are haunted and evil spirits have been known to seek out little children to scare and pick on.
IBelieve (3 stories) (31 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
Thanks for your comments. It very well could of been an 8 years old imagination, I just remember being so scared. My grandfather was the first family members funeral I can remember attending. So maybe it was just to much for me. But even now being 29 I can still see him walking up the edge of the graveyard, it must of really had an impact on me.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
I think you being at such a young age combined with the fact that you were in the cemetery caused a child's greatest fears to come true.

Thanks for sharing your story though.
FRAWIN (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
I believe you saw something that day but it wasn't the devil. What you saw was the product of a child's imagination and as we all know some kids have vivid imaginations. Of course this is just my opinion and I could be wrong- the devil could be red, with horns and a pointed tail and carries a pitch fork to carry mean little kids away with 😊.
I did enjoy your story, take care.

FRAWIN 😊
BooYouu (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
Hey,
Thats Very creepy I don't think I could get over that but that's just me.
I Think I Have seen The devil too 😕

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: