You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Ghostly Phenomenon

Real Ghost Stories

Ghostly Phenomenon


GHOSTLY PHENOMENON - 1950s Haunting of the Long Family in Inglewood, California, time frame 1956-1960.

A Summary Overview:

There were several paranormal events that happened to me and my family back in the 1950s when I was a boy.

First was a fire demon which appeared to me in the dark when I was 4 years old during Christmas time in 1951 when we lived in Renton, Washington, near Seattle.

I was getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and the house was all dark except for a fire burning in the old pot-bellied stove in a corner of the living room down the hall from my bedroom, and the bathroom was in between. When I began to go into the bathroom, something bright flashed in the corner of my eye and I turned to look toward the pot-bellied stove, with the warm orange flicker of fire over the dark living room, when suddenly a being made of fire, about 3 to 4 feet tall, shot out of the stove and began dancing across the room in front of me! I was terrified and wet my pants.

This weird thing had flames for a body, and big red fiery eyes. I ran to my parents' bedroom and jumped in their bed, but my mother noticed I was wet and crying, and she got up to help me, while my dad just rolled over and went back to sleep. I was too scared to go into the hallway again so my mother had to change me in her bedroom as I hid under her blankets. I never again saw anything as weird as this, not even the ghost I saw in 1958.

Then a house my family moved into in Inglewood, CA. Suburb of Lennox in 1956 was haunted and there were all sorts of frightening and scary ghostly and poltergeist phenomena experienced by my entire family in that house over the next 3 years.

It began soon after we moved into the house at 10130 Condon Avenue in 1956. All four of us kids had to share the same room for a while, three brothers and one sister, and we were all young children at that point. I was 9, my sister was 8, and my two younger brothers were 6 and 4. We slept in U.S. Army surplus bunk beds, one on each side of the room.

The haunting began one night after the whole family had gone to bed. I was just going to sleep when suddenly I heard scratching sounds coming from underneath my bed, on the bottom wood frames of my mattress box springs. It was unnerving to say the least, and very frightening. Then the scratching noises, like fingernails on wood, would suddenly begin somewhere else in the room, either on the wall, or underneath the beds of one of the other kids. It scared the hell out of all of us, and made my younger brothers cry.

These eerie sounds were sometimes, but not always, accompanied by knocks or raps on the walls or floor. These strange things would continue over the next two years, and although they were not a nightly occurrence, they did happen frequently.

Then in 1957, something new started, along with the rappings and scratching. Our house was old and had old hardwood floors with no carpeting, only area rugs. We began to hear the sounds of feet, bare feet, walking on the bare hardwood floors at night after the family had gone to bed after 10 PM. They sounded like the person who was walking was old and frail, because the footsteps went 'swish-swish' on the floor as the walking moved around the house, like the person couldn't or wouldn't lift their feet up off the floor, and just shuffle along.

Well, if you think the scratching and knocks were frightening, then you have to know that we were all horrified at the sound of ghostly feet moving around the house! None of us ever saw anything, but we all, at one time or other, heard plenty of weird, unexplained sounds of an invisible ghostly person moving about the house.

On one occasion I especially recall, which still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end, we had all gone to bed and all the lights were off, (except that ever since the ghostly phenomena started, my parents made sure there was a night light in our bedroom so we weren't completely in the dark) the scratches began under my bed and then under my brother's bed across from me, and he let out a yelp.

The scratches moved back to under my bed, and something knocked on the window between us. Then we heard the sounds of the ghostly footsteps starting from the dining room, and then coming into the hallway, and then into our bedroom. The door was closed but not locked, and something opened it up and it opened all by itself, with the ghostly footsteps coming into our room toward the foot of my bed. I looked and there was no one there, and I could see all the way down the hall to the closed door of my parents' bedroom at the back of the house. In between that was the bathroom off to the right, and a hall closet to the right which was closed with a door.

Our family cat, Snowball, was curled up asleep at the foot of my bed, at my feet, when all of a sudden; something struck the foot bed frame of my bed with a loud, resounding clang! Instantly, our cat jumped up, arched her back and hissed in anger. I was terrified, to be sure, and hid under the covers. My brothers were both screaming and crying and my sister was yelling bloody murder for my mom and dad. They both came running down the hall from their room and turned on the light, and demanded to know what was wrong now. We told them the ghost came into our room to scare us, but we couldn't see it, only hear it. My mother told me she had also heard the ghostly footsteps, and she told me she knew the house was haunted.

On another night, the ghostly footsteps came into our room, then turned back and moved back down the hallway, then the closet door opened by itself, and a basketball which my dad had thrown up onto the top shelf came bouncing down on the hallway floor, and began dribbling by itself, bouncing up and down from about a 3-foot high level. My dad flung his bedroom door wide open, came bounding down the hall, grabbed hold of the ball as it hung in midair, and threw the lights on. Of course, nothing was there, and we were all in our beds, terrified with fear. Dad told us all to try to settle down and go back to sleep, and said he didn't know why the ghost was haunting the house. When he went back to bed, he took the ball with him, and all was quiet for the rest of the night.

In April 1958 my brother and I both saw a real ghost - the same ghost at the same time, of a tall, thin, gaunt and wrinkled old woman in a white lace wedding dress. We ran away screaming! We were chasing each other, playing, around the dog run around the garage and lean-to shed at the back of the garage, on an afternoon after school.

This first house was a 1920 vintage wood and stucco Spanish-style 2-bedroom home, with a front and back yard, and a separate garage in back of a dirt driveway, with a lean-to shed built onto the back of it, with one door that was always padlocked, and with one window which faced onto a dog run around the garage, surrounded by property borderline trees and a fence.

It was inside this shed that we, my brother Bob and I, saw the ghost of the old woman in the wedding dress standing inside, looking out at us with cold, dark, stony stern eyes, through shabby white lace curtains, next to an old steamer trunk. We knew this room was locked and there was no way anyone could be inside of it.

We later discovered from a relative of old Mrs. Dillon, when he came to empty the contents of the storage room, and opened the trunk in front of us before loading it onto his truck, that the white lace wedding dress had belonged to a woman who had died in the house in 1955, and was folded up neatly inside of that steamer trunk. That woman was the man's grandmother, old Mrs. Dillon, who had died at age 77 in November 1955 of pneumonia in the back bedroom occupied by our parents. He also showed us a picture of Mrs. Dillon, and it was the same face we had seen on the ghostly apparition!

Other strange poltergeist-style phenomena that happened in that house is that many times objects would move about by themselves at all times of the day or night. Cups, glasses, saucers, pens and pencils, and salt & pepper shakers would move around on the dining table, or move back and forth from the dining table to the mirrored sideboard of the cupboard. One time things my mother had put on the dining table returned to the kitchen by themselves when all of us kids were outside playing. Another time a glass of water tipped over by itself in the kitchen while my mother was peeling potatoes. And yet another time an ink pen shot past my face and embedded itself in the wall - right past my nose!

There were neighbor houses on both sides, fairly close together. The same was true for the second house, which was an old white wood frame house, in the ranch and prairie style, with a large front and back yard. There were no nearby bodies of water, since these locations were in the major Los Angeles area. Both houses are located under the flight path of airliner planes coming in for landings at LAX - Los Angeles International Airport. Yet this did not account for any of the unusual phenomenon we experienced.

In 1959 my family moved to a different house in Inglewood's Lennox district where more ghostly phenomena occurred over the next year.

Strange and bizarre things happened to my family until the end of 1960 when it all came to an abrupt end when we moved out of that house to one in Norwalk.

This paranormal activity occurred over 45 years ago. It took place mostly from 1956 to 1960, about 4 years, but the worst of it was in the first house, from 1956 to 1959. The last activity occurred right after a fire which burned down our garage in October 1959, when a ghostly bizarre face kept appearing at the windows of the house from the outside at night, glaring at us. It was startling and very scary.

The main thing I remember about the second house we lived in was its old-fashioned charm and quaintness. The walls were covered in varnished knotty pine boards in some of the rooms and it was much larger and more spacious than our previous house. It had a large kitchen area and pantry, laundry room, and dining room. My room was right off the kitchen which was great so I could sneak a snack sometimes in the middle of the night.

A few times I recall the covers being pulled off me as I slept in bed. There was no one there, and it gave me the creeps.

Most of the strange ghostly phenomena occurred in my sister's room in the second house. She kept being smothered by some large heavy entity which had a very bad smell and labored breathing, and pressed her down into her bed until she had to scream very loudly, and then it suddenly released its grip on her. She said it felt like it was trying to choke her to death.

Also, at the second house, there was a large black walnut tree spreading over the back of the house. We would always hear the walnuts falling on the roof of the house, but that did not explain how the walnuts would appear in piles in my sister's bedroom at the back of the house in the mornings, or sometimes appear near the ceiling and roll down the inside walls of my sister's room and then roll across the floor by themselves. Sometimes the walnuts would appear to drop down from the ceiling and land on my sister's bed as she slept and then wake her in terror. Other times the walnuts would appear on the floor in nice neat little piles.

There was no way the walnuts could get into my sister's room. Yet they did-almost every day! There was no squirrel or other animal that was doing this, we would have discovered it. And why no broken walnuts or shells? This bizarre yet harmless paranormal activity still remains a mystery to all of us to this day.

The first house, located at 10130 Condon Avenue, was built in 1920 and was owned by a family named Dillon, and the ghost was that of old Mrs. Dillon, who had died in the back bedroom of the house of pneumonia in November 1955. The house remained there until the year 2000; when it was torn down to make space for a parking lot for a storage rental company. I visited the residents who lived there in the house in the 1970s, and they told me they knew the house was haunted, and they experienced some of the same weird ghostly phenomena that my family had experienced first-hand. They told me that sometimes the candles would light themselves, or that someone unseen would blow them out, or move things about when no one was looking.

The second house, located at 10529 Grevillea Avenue, was built around 1910 and originally was a farm house when there were no other houses around it.

The second house stood until sometime around 2001, then was torn down and a new house was built on the site.

My whole family experienced these strange and amazing frightening ghostly phenomena. My dad, John A. Long, was an engineer with North American Aviation in El Segundo. My mother, Lila Long, was a housewife.

My name is Don J. Long, the oldest of four children; my sister's name is Bonnie Long; my two brothers are Robert and Kenneth Long. There were no photos, recordings, or any other form of evidence other than our family experiences, sorry to say.

I grew up to know and believe that there is a spirit world which exists in the same space as the material world we live in, and paranormal phenomenon is the evidence of that spirit world. Because of these scary and startling experiences with the supernatural world, it was no big leap of faith for me to become a born-again Christian when I grew up, and have remained so to this day.

Who knows if these things are caused by evil spirits, or by the ghostly spirits of the departed dead?

We do not need any help, but we wanted to tell our story if anyone wants to hear all the incredible details. You may contact me via my e-mail address if you are interested.

Thank you. Don J. Long

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Dejael, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Jbone (2 posts)
9 years ago (2014-01-01)
I really enjoyed this story. I find it intriguing. Thankyou for sharing! Have you continued to have paranormal experiences in your life?
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
14 years ago (2008-08-24)
It sounds like you and your siblings went through some spooky stuff indeed! I really enjoyed your story. I am adding it to favorites. 😊
Dejael (1 stories) (2 posts)
14 years ago (2008-08-11)
Last week I was in the area where I lived as a child in Lennox, California on business near LAX Airport, so I took a drive down Condon Avenue where my first ghostly experiences happened, and just stood and stared at the school parking lot area paving where the family house at 10130 Condon used to be. I noticed Jefferson School, where my siblings and I attended elementary school, is still there at Condon Ave. At 104th St. And has been remodeled and enlarged and is nothing like it was 50 years ago. Things have really changed in my old neighborhood. It's really gone downhill and is all run down now. When I lived there, everyone kept their homes up nice and it was a very nice neighborhood.
Then I went over to Grevillea Avenue to see where the other house was, and I was surprised to see that this house at 10529 Grevillea Ave. Is still standing, and the house itself still looks almost the same as it did 49 years ago when we lived there, only the yard is different. I noticed that no one ever rebuilt the garage that burned down in the fall of 1959. I was mistaken when I said it was also torn down, it was due to an error on Google maps. The church my family went to across the street is still there, only it was the Church of Christ then, a new building, and now is a Messianic Jewish congregation, and the cross on top of the steeple has been replaced with a star of David.
It looks like the whole area of Lennox is run down now and needs some upgrading.
This area of south Inglewood was a very special place in my childhood memories.
TwistedWispersNeko (3 stories) (90 posts)
14 years ago (2008-08-07)
I love your stories. Very interesting. I like hearing about older houses, and their history.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
14 years ago (2008-08-06)
Welcome Mr. Long and thank you for narrating a very interesting account of events.

As I see it, these numerous encounters which I also believe them to be poltergeist, must have had a profound effect on you and your siblings. They must have, in part, shaped the way you see our world today!

I'll be looking forward to any new posts from you.
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
14 years ago (2008-08-05)
Mr. Long, Thank you so much for sharing. I am fascinated with all of your experiences. I was most fascinated with your experience with the basketball, because I also had a similar experience. Actually all of your experiences were amazing. I agree with FRAWIN that it sounds like a majority of yor experiences were due to a poltergeist. This was also the case for me and my family. Well I hope to hear from you again soon. ❤ Jasmin
Karyn (1 stories) (63 posts)
14 years ago (2008-08-05)
What a great and somewhat terrifying story! I too grew up in an old haunted house where unexplainable things happened. Not to the extent of yours though. How old were you and your siblings? Perhaps you were of an age to project some poltergeist activity? Since it mostly happened during 4 years then tapered off?
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
14 years ago (2008-08-05)
Hi and thank you for sharring this very intersting story with us. I see you had some veryu scary encounters with the paranormal! To be honest I'm not jealous 😆.i hope to hear from you soon an dtake care
Dejael (1 stories) (2 posts)
14 years ago (2008-08-04)
Thanks for your sympathetic comments, everyone!
I've always wondered that myself, bette31, whether both houses were already haunted, or if we brought the same ghostly energies with us when we moved.
Yes, I've often wondered why the activity was centered around my sister Bonnie, but it seems that this is a common factor in poltergeist hauntings, for a girl to be present who is at puberty, and my sister was 8 to 12 during this activity.
We never had any other activity at any other houses we lived in before or since, except my sister said that, when we lived in a new house our family had just moved into in Lakewood, California in the fall of 1961, sometime in 1962, she had seen a scowling face looking in the window at her at night in her bedroom window, which was too high up off the ground for someone to be standing outside, unless they were standing on something. And of course, there was nothing there in the yard, we checked in the morning after she told us about it, and there were no impressions in the ground to support a ladder or something for a peeping Tom to stand on. Bonnie also reported seeing little bluish-colored orbs glowing from within, floating around in her room sometimes in the middle of the night in the dark, around that same time.
FRAWIN (guest)
14 years ago (2008-08-04)
Hello Don. First let me say that I truly enjoyed reading your story. If I was to offer an opinion, I would say that a vast majority of these experiences were poltergeist activity. I couldn't help but notice that your sister was either present or the activity was aimed towards her, as in the walnut episode. During this time period she was between 8 to 12 years old, just the right age to be an "agent".

Thank you for sharing your story with us. Feel free to add all "the incredible details" in the form of other stories, I'm sure that I'm not the only one who would love to read them. Take Care and God Bless.

Dan (1 stories) (51 posts)
14 years ago (2008-08-04)
Thanks for writing your account of the hauntings down Don. It was a great story and was great reading it. You had an amazing childhood. The thing with the walnuts was very intresting, sometimes ghosts form connections with the living and maybe this one formed one with your sister.

Thanks for sharing your story.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
14 years ago (2008-08-04)
Hi Dejael, Don. Welcome to YGS. Your story is fascinating. You certainly had an eventful childhood! I found the incidents with the walnuts especially interesting. Do you think this spirit was attached to the bedroom or attracted to your sister? Poor girl. Did you ever find any history on the second house, what could have caused the activity? I really enjoyed reading of your experiences, as I said, amazing. Thanks for sharing your family experiences with us.
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
14 years ago (2008-08-04)
Dejael-thank you for taking the time to share with us your haunting experience. I have just one question, were both of the houses haunted or did the entities move with your family to the second house? I would think that would be a big coincidence that the first two houses that your family lived in, your family would experience things in both of them. Thanks again for sharing with us and I hope to hear from you soon.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: