You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Resident Ghost Or Two?

Real Ghost Stories

A Resident Ghost Or Two?

 

After reading a story on the site - I related to a lot of the examples. I went home and told my husband - who does not believe in anything paranormal - the story which focused on negative energies in the home they occupied.

My husband and I still consider ourselves newlyweds - we got married last November. We moved into a 2-bedroomed home in a fairly new complex this February. Neither of us have really felt at home - it's cold, damp, moldy and really depressing.

The couple who rented before us had the exact same issues - both her and my husband lost their jobs not long after moving in - thankfully my husband found a job not too long ago! They found themselves arguing for no apparent reason - the next door neighbor (a real busy-body) informed me of the fact (well, actually warned me) that she could hear everything if she sat in her lounge as the walls were not that thick.

My husband and I have found ourselves depressed and really argumentative.

The night we moved in - we thought it would be fun to invite a couple of friends over for some pizza and drinks - a real scatter cushion & throws kind of get together. At the time, South Africa's sole electricity provider had initiated rolling-blackouts for the entire country. AS luck would have it, that Friday night was our turn and we were prepared - candles, torches etc.

We were sitting in the lounge area which has a door to the smaller bedroom, which is now purely used as a laundry room, and I had my back facing the door.

My friend who was sitting opposite me said she noticed these orbs dancing around on the door. I was sure that it wasn't the candle or any sort of light reflecting as it moved from the door into the room and a quick dark figure, small like a child/animal, flashed past this door and into the room - at which point the door started to close by itself. We never really felt threatened, but we weren't going to stick around for the night - we only officially moved in the next day.

I try not to go into that room too often - there is a feeling of sadness and loneliness when I am in there for too long.

A few months down the line, last week in fact, the strangest thing started happening - the TV channels on the main room TV, went zipping through really fast and the volume went up and down on its own. I wasn't really afraid, just really annoyed. This went on for as long as I had the TV on. I just tend not to use the television in the room anymore. It also has a habit of switching on in the middle of the night whilst on standby (you have to click channel on the remote for it to go on or channel on the TV itself). The remote is next to me on the pedestal at night.

There is also a really strange smell in the room - almost like ammonia.

I did a bit of research and found out that the entire area was once farmlands, inhabited by white farmers and Cape Malay, black and various other slaves.

There is also a legend about a snake and a baby, but I have to get all the information for that one before I divulge.

Other hauntings by trau

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, trau, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Indigo_Child (3 stories) (25 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-01)
Hello Trau,
This may be really old, but iv just read your story and would like to know where in SA you are? I assume Cape Town as I see you posted something about West Coast road...
Why I'm asking is I am interested to know what area you stay in that may have been farmlands...
I stayed in the 1st built area of parklands and our house was built new, but strange strange things happened to me there!
Just wandered what Parklands used to be before they built up the area...
Thanks for posting this story. Sheds some light on my experiences.
😊
trau (4 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
Hi there everyone - thanks for the concern Jasmin314.

Update - yesterday I was off ill at home - the tv did the whole volume thing in the room again - and the cupboard door was open when I turned around - small things - but enough to make me feel scared. I had the distinct feeling of someone watching me from the bedroom door.
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-05)
Wow. You just left me thinking. Can you say suspense? I want to knwo what happens next. I really hope you can get some more details so that we can figure out what kind of haunting is taking place. Don't let the otherside take control of your relationship with your husband. Be safe. Hope to hear from you soon. ❤ Jasmin
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-05)
My Goodness! So much history and energy surrounding that house.

Your claim that there's so much loneliness and sadness in that room made the greatest impression on me trau. I'll be looking forward to your updates and would like to hope that whoever's trapped there will be released eventually.

Thank you for another intriguing story.

Tammy
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-05)
Thank you for sharring this story with us. I know it must be hard for you living in a place like that. Getting bad vibes isn't a pleasent feeling and it can realy get on somebody nerves. Thansk for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
trau (4 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-05)
Hi Bellissima & Frawin,

Thank you for the suggestions/advice. I am definitely trying out the sea salt method. I have my regular stash of holy water, but this spirit/s wants to be to be noticed. I have not yet resorted to prayer as this has worked previously. Moving is definitely on the agenda for various reasons besides the activity.

Now, for the update... Last night, on arrival at home, I noticed the geyser had been put on. I asked my husband if he did it - as I clearly remember him switching it off the morning when we left for work. He looked at me bewildered - then said that he just put it on... I checked the water - it was hot - meaning it had been put on at least half an hour ago.

I pointed this out to him and he then admitted he didn't put it on - he lied so that I wouldn't freak out!
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-04)
Hello trau. If you are bothered by negative feelings in your home, may I suggest sea salt and pure water. Make a solution of the sea salt and water and go about the home casting the solution with your finger tips while praying/chanting for a house blessing. You can also take a few small bowls, fill them with a mixture of dirt and sea salt, then dampen it with the pure water. Sit them up out of the way. This will help absorb the negativity in between house blessings. You need to keep them damp, not soaking wet, just damp and change them out about once a month.
Don't ask me how it works, I don't know. All I know is it works for me and a few friends that I have recommended it to.

Thank you for sharing your story with us, I enjoyed it.

FRAWIN 😊
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-04)
Hi trau. It kind of sounds like you have more than one thing going on. The dark, depressed feeling in your home sounds like it could be residual. It sounds like a lot of sadness and the emotions carried on with the land.I'm sure there's a lot of bad history there. Maybe the ammonia smell goes along with that. Have you considered moving? Those negative feelings would put a strain on your relationship. I think the small shadow may be a child, a lonely spirit, looking for some attention.You're not feeling threatened or particularly afraid so I don't think you should worry. You could tell the spirit that it's time to move on, let it know it's okay. Give us an update if anything new happens.I'm also looking forward to the legend of the baby and the snake! Thanks for sharing your experiences, I enjoyed reading your story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: