You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Spitting Phenomenon And More

Real Ghost Stories

Spitting Phenomenon And More

 

When I was 12 years old in the early 1970's, I experienced a very strange happening that I don't share with too many people I know because I'd sound crazy.

I was in my bedroom and brushing my long hair while looking in a large mirror above my dresser. I heard a hissing sound and saw something coming from my bed area across the room and then felt it touch the hair on the left side of my head. It then hit my mirror and looked like phlegmy spit as it dripped down the mirror. I screamed and my parents came running into my room.

It was totally unexplainable. I had been alone in my room. My parents were baffled. They didn't make a big deal about it.

I went on to have other unexplainable experiences in my childhood house for several years. I saw an image in my den that looked like a ghostly image of a woman with long red hair walking past the room I was in. Another experience that my parents searched the lower level of the house I was in and found nothing.

Many years after moving out of the house, my older brother told me he saw a similar image looking down the stairs to the lower level. I also would hear a faint women's voice calling out my name several times during my youth. There was only one time that someone else heard it (my younger brother).

I came upon this website while watching a poltergeist tv show. I was amazed that my experiences were similar to other people's experiences. I've had less frequent experiences as an adult. Strange phenomenon still happen randomly when I least expect. I'm Catholic and feel safe when I pray. Feels good to share my experience.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Maryann73, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-12-11)
I don't know why but, for whatever reason, I'm getting the impression that the redheaded woman may have suffered from some form of mental disturbance. Rather aggressive spitting is a fairly common side effect of many forms of mental disorder - and doesn't necessarily mean that said individual is prone to any other sort of violence or even is regularly aggressive, just every now and then when circumstances disagree with their perceptions, the frustration manifests itself in somewhat unconventional ways. It could be that she rarely left that home in life due to her troubles.

Maybe she spit at you in a moment of pique because she saw in that scene while you stood brushing your hair, a time from her own life when she was young and everything was simple (age of onset for many mental disorders is 18-25).

I could be completely off in this thought and, believe me, I am not trying to cast aspersions on anyone managing mental illness. This is just the way the situation read to me.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-11-07)
Maryann - What happened to participating in the discussion?

Members of this forum have read your experience and responded positively, with a few questions of course. Oh well, ultimately it's your decision.

Regards, Melda
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-11-01)
Greetings, Maryann, and welcome to YGS.

The first thought I had upon reading your description of the physical manifestation was "ectoplasm." However, I thought that substance was limited to Mediums of the Spiritualist Movement. I've never heard of ectoplasm being used as a form of attack. Your age at the time of the event may be indicative of poltergeist phenomena, especially since you "went on to have other unexplainable experiences in my childhood house for several years." I'm looking forward to reading more of your experiences, as they have the potential to add clarification to this one.

Best,
Biblio.
Tweed (35 stories) (2498 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-11-01)
Maryann, that mirror thing really disturbed me. Never heard anything like it. Trying to keep this PG, my mind went straight to 'nonce'. Moving on.

People hearing their name called is pretty common. It's cool you had someone else hear it too. The lady sounds like a nice presence, I also wondered if she was the same who called your name.

Would you mind sharing the experience your parents checked the lower level for?
Did your parents ever mention having experiences in the house?

Thanks for sharing.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-11-01)
Maryann - You say you heard a hissing sound and then saw something coming from your bed, touch your hair and then this horrible glob landed splat on your mirror. Did you see the spit flying over from that distance? Did you have to clean it off or did it dissipate on its own?

I doubt whether the lady entity was guilty of the mirror incident. From what you described she seems benign. When you saw her and heard your name being called were you frightened? I can understand that you would have been very taken aback and nervous but if those events didn't terrify you, it's likely that she might have been trying to attract attention and had some link to the house or the land.

Regards, Melda
LightMight (4 stories) (137 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2020-11-01)
Hi Maryann73,

I was wondering about the large mirror in your bedroom, the one you witnessed phlegmy spit dripping down, after the thing hit it. Did your family own the dresser/mirror, or did it come with the house? There are people who believe that mirrors can act as portals for spirits who choose to travel between dimensions (you may want to check out more about 'The Portal Theory' online). I'm also wondering if anyone had used the mirror for scrying, prior to you having it in your bedroom? Not that scrying would necessarily have a negative impact on your entire house, but it may have something to do with that thing you felt in your bedroom that hit the mirror. I also realize that Catholics don't practice scrying, but maybe someone did in the past such as a previous owner?

Thank you for sharing your story, LightMight
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2020-11-01)
Welcome to YGS.

I find it fascinating when spirits are able to materialize objects out of nowhere. I wonder why your ghost didn't present you with something nicer, like a penny or a feather, instead of such a gross thing.

What do you know about the history of the house? Had it belonged to your family for more than one generation? If so, do you think this woman could be one of your ancestors?

It seems like the activity was constant and not only directed to you but, do you know if your parents ever saw this lady or experienced any other disturbances or were you children the only ones witnessing the activity?

I hope you can share more of your experiences with us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: