You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Strange Events At Sloss Furnaces

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Events At Sloss Furnaces

 

Sloss Furnaces is located in Birmingham, AL. It produced iron for nearly 90 years and is now a national historic landmark. It is a very awesome place to visit and I encourage anyone interested in history to take a tour.

My boyfriend and I recently visited there for the 2008 'stokin' the fire' festival. We decided to walk around the place because we think it's absolutely beautiful and we love anything to do with history. This was not our first time there. We had been before and had walked through every part of it, with no paranormal activity.

He and I are very skeptical when it comes to ghosts. Any time we experience something strange we just try to come up with a logical explanation for it. We just don't see how it's possible for ghosts to exist. That day, we changed our minds.

We were hanging out in the boiler room around dusk. It was just the two of us. We were just sitting there on the steps talking, very calm and relaxed. He got up and started walking to the left and told me to come with him to look around. We started walking in that direction and heard a very loud scuffling noise right behind us. It was so loud that we both turned around to look at the same time. "Was that you?" he asked. I told him no. We looked around the entire room thinking someone was just trying to scare us. There was no one in the entire boiler room.

Just then he got a phone call. It was his sister. "Why did you just call me? Are you okay?" she asked. He explained that he had not called her.

"Yes you did. It sounded like you had the phone really close to your mouth, and you were mumbling. Every time I asked you a question, you would respond, but I could never make out what you were saying. I thought you were playing a joke on me."

She verified his cell number, and sure enough, the call came from his phone. He even looked at his call history, and it showed him making the call and the conversation lasting about 3 minutes. The weird thing was, I had been with him the entire time, and the phone had been in his pocket. Also, she had just gotten her cell phone activated that day. He didn't even have her number in his phone. If he had actually called her, he would have had to dial out the entire number, and furthermore, he didn't even know what her new number was yet.

Strangely these two incidents happened at the same time. We have not been able to come up with an explanation for either one of them.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Alabama

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, blindfire24, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Bud (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-03)
My girlfriend and I plan to tour the furnace tonight. She's a bonified "Scaredy Cat" and I might need help getting her through it alive. I actually am looking forward to some sort of authentic paranormal experience.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-08)
Very good story, and what an exciting experience that must have been! I'll admit that I was skeptical about the phone conversation because I was thinking that the phone may have called his sister when he sat down or moved or something, because phones can sometimes do that if the keys aren't locked, but then you said that he didn't know his sister's new number...that's creepy!
blindfire24 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-08)
yes, I have looked up a lot of history on the place. It's really quite interesting. I remember the first time we went there we ran into some guys that work during halloween there. They know the place well and took us all over and would tell us where people were killed and where some workers were even murdered. Whether their stories were true I do not know. It's so strange each time I've walked into the boiler room I always feel very light headed. Angelfeathers-i do think the boiler room is the same as the blowing engine room, or it's connected. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It's strange because it all happened when we weren't expecting it, and I thought you'd really only see paranormal activity if you went looking for it. But anyway, his sister was never able to make out anything. She said it sounded like he had been asleep or something and had the phone really close to his mouth. She just thought he was playing a trick on her.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-07)
Sounds like the ghost was able to use his phone without his knowledge. How the ghost was able to contact someone without a phone number available is the freaky part. Never heard of anything like this but there's a first for everything.
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-07)
Ok that was just plain creepy! It must have been really shocking to hear that! When I just read that line," He even looked at his call history, and it showed him making the call and the conversation lasting about 3 minutes" I myself was shocked! The first thing that came in my mind was How is that possible?! Thanks for sharing your story with us and hope to hear from you again!

Biemaster
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-06)
blindfire24-thanks for sharing your experience with us. Is this the same place where one of the workers burned to death or fell in the pits that they used to melt the metal?
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-05)
Hi blindfire24, welcome to YGS. There are a few other stories about the Sloss furnace on this site. It has so much history and quite a reputation for being haunted. ElectricTNT is right, there is a video on youtube about Sloss. I don't know the name of it either but one of our members, Kevan, has a story and video right on this site called 'Sloss Furnaces'.I think it is the video that is on youtube. Between your story and this comment section, like literally between them on this page, there are stories with similar titles or subjects. Look there and you'll find Kevan's story and 2grown4games story as well. The phone call is really something else! Did you happen to take any pictures? Maybe next time you go? I enjoyed your story, thank you for sharing it!
angelfeathers (106 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-05)
Hi blindfire24, were you aware that the sloss furnaces have a "haunted history?" Ashley (2grown4games) wrote an interesting account of her experiences in the Blowing Engine Room -- I wonder if this is the same place as the boiler room you reference? Her story is called "Sloss Furnace Visit." Maybe you could compare your experience with hers.

Thanks for sharing your story!

A.
loopy666 (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-05)
oh my gosh. I think that would turn any sceptic around. You must be so brave. If that had of happened to me - AT DUSK - I would probably have ran out of there screaming. I agree with grox6 and you should definately check out the history of the place.
ElectricTNT (1 stories) (45 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-05)
Ok,that is just plain creepy and to think that not only did he not make the call, he has to pay for it. There was a video on youtube about paranormal activity at an old steel mill, but I don't if it's the same one. I wish I could remember the title of it. Does anyone know the one I am trying to remember? If so, please post because it was very interesting.
Grox6 (2 stories) (51 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-05)
Wow. That was so strange! And the scuffling noises were wierd too. Did you check out the history there? 😲
Tydin (1 stories) (30 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-05)
Wow, now that is strange! I don't understand how something would know his sisters number, did she say if she could make out what any of the mumbling was?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: