You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: The Events That Started It All

Real Ghost Stories

The Events That Started It All

 

Keep in mind this is just the story that started most of the paranormal experiences that My friend and I have experienced. This is far from all of what has happened, but this is where it gets scary for us.

So, this story starts back in 2015. Before then I have had a few paranormal experiences, some shadows/voices, but nothing that really shook me up. However there was one night I was driving with my friend that everything changed. Keep in mind, we were about 17/18 at the time and are avid believers in the paranormal, but were fairly realistic with what caused certain events.

This was about 10 at night, and we live in a small town near Spokane, WA. All there was to do to get out of the house in all reality was drive around. We used to go to cemeteries frequently, and would often go to the local small town one. The town has 2, there is an old one dating back to the 1700's and is filled with unmarked graves and an unmarked mass grave. The newer one claims to not have any unidentified graves, but everyone knows that is false.

Again, we were driving around at 10 at night, we were desperate to get out of the house and had a full tank of gas and a 4 wheel drive vehicle. During the entire drive, everything was like normal, nothing out of the ordinary had happened. But, when we were passing the cemetery, we had heard a blood curdling scream, almost like someone was getting murdered. Keep in mind that there was no one out there and no animals. There is no one we could have even remotely even hit. There was even a moment where we had lost complete control of our vehicle. Thankfully we weren't going very fast and only lasted a moment.

We kept driving (we sure as hell weren't going to stop) and after that we noticed a thick fog had developed and seemed to follow us around. At this time it was about midnight and we had an overwhelming feeling of dread following us around. We had found that if we stayed in the part of town with people/cameras that the fog wouldn't follow all the way, but it still lingered nearby. We had a full tank of gas like mentioned earlier, so we literally stayed in the vehicle until the fog cleared up. At the stroke of 3 a.m. The fog literally dissolved, but at this point we were still too shaken up to go home. At 5 am we had finally calmed down just enough to go home. We lived 2 blocks from each other, so I dropped her off first, then while keeping each other on the phone I went home. At both houses we had parents/siblings and I had my boyfriend there, so thankfully we weren't alone. However we were still so anxious from what happened we couldn't go to sleep immediately.

My brother and his friend practice Wicca, and happen to know more than they probably should about demons and what not. (I feel like they're playing with fire but that's on them) but we were talking to them about it. And they think we heard a death echo and there may had been bad spirits or entities following us.

Now is the scariest/creepiest part of the whole ordeal. I was driving home from school. My Friend worked part time for the town and her job was maintenance for the cemetery such as mowing/weeding/flowers/watering and just overall care. I wanted to stop by and say hi for a few since it was on my way home. I was driving by and saw her, however I got this overwhelming feeling of dread and just overall felt like I needed to get out of there. Now. So I kept driving, but I still wanted to say hi so I called her. I said "hey sorry I just passed you at the cemetery but thought we could meet in a few for lunch or something". She asked me what I was talking about and I told her I had told her that I drove by the cemetery, but didn't tell her about the feeling I had. She said "Boo, I haven't been there for a bit, at least 10 minutes. I'm home now and have been making lunch". Now I'm confused because I legit saw her, so I immediately drove to her and saw her pickup and went up inside (didn't have that feeling) and there she was. In the same attire that I had just seen "her" wearing at the cemetery. She was obviously shook up, but she still had to work out there.

This ended up happening a couple more times too when I would drive by. She even told me herself that she saw herself there, however when she did it appeared she was covered in blood. She was driving up to work that day, but immediately turned around. After that she refused to go back without a group of people. There was one instance where she was working and had an overwhelming sense of dread. She abandoned the mower and left. Shortly after I had drove by (again) and saw what looked like her. We again talked to my brother and his friend about this, and they didn't have too much insight. They had a few thoughts about what it was, but nothing definitive.

We have had multiple experiences since then with not just those feelings we had, but with things we have seen. I don't purposely go out there anymore and in the 5 years since then I haven't seen that apparition anymore. However, we are looking for answers for some of what has happened or if anyone else had experienced anything like that. Currently we are 23/24 and there's only a few people we can talk to about this. So any insight, advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, easyforcheez, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-30)
Just because a website is "free" doesn't mean you can be lazy with the content you post. We are fortunate to have this free forum to discuss these kinds of experiences- we should act like it. I am also responding from my phone - proofreading is no problem even on an itty bitty screen.

There are a few issues with the way this experience has devolved since is original posting. With regard to the wild life, I have family that lives in and around the same region. They have all kinds of wildlife just like Lealeigh and Ladyglow pointed out - I get pictures almost weekly in my email of what's roaming through their back yard this time. Sometimes too, an animal winds up in a place it doesn't belong - god knows, I live in urban south eastern Virginia and we get coyotes and foxes too! Even a rabbit can scream bloody murder if it's threatened enough... Or being eaten by a predator - something as mundane as a stray cat or owl could manage that. I've been around big loud trucks before too - and, yes, you could hear those animal noises over their racket.

As for the fog, none of the meteorological conditions you mentioned really have anything to do with fog formation. It's to do with air humidity and rapid relative temperature change. It can behave quite oddly all on its own.

I think the others have asked some very relevant questions regarding the doppelgänger (s), the curious leniency of "easyforcheez2's" employer, the unusual degree of secrecy around an otherwise well tended and fully staffed cemetery etc. No one has said "I don't believe it" - they are asking probing questions in order to help inform an explanation for what occurred. However, you seem to feel that you have already exhausted all logical explanations - indicating that you have basically made up your mind about what you believe went on that night and unless anyone's explanation is concurrent with your own, it is disregarded.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-30)
Well, to be honest, I was not encouraged by the fact that you are both involved in commenting - and you are both named "easyforcheez".

You are "both" hung up on the same irrelevant details - such as the kind of truck that you guys drove on your cruise through town. You "both" made the same defensive comments about how this is a free website and that you wouldn't pay to have an editor on staff.

I am not trying to be mean; but this is not my first rodeo. I think the two of you are the same person.

As far as getting answers is concerned, I am not sure that anyone gets "answers" that are written in stone when you are dealing with the paranormal. People have given you what they have for beliefs and those beliefs are based upon their experience. I am sorry that this is not what you were looking for.

Pax Vobiscum.
easyforcheez (1 stories) (5 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-30)
[at] Miracles51031, this is a complicated story that we tried to condense as much as possible. And quite frankly you don't have to believe it either, we've been trying to find answers for years and we saw many people getting insight on this site. Unfortunately we are in the same exact spot! We won't stop looking for answers, but it's disheartening to have no answers what so ever. There have been more events that have happened and we do plan on sharing them in the future. However, if we keep getting comments related to "I don't believe it" we'll probably stop. As mentioned earlier we have exhausted all logical explanations for what happened.

To point out the smartphone punctuation issue, it's a dumb "smart phone", it's a miracle that you can even get periods here and there, plus she was using speak to text which often doesn't work well anyways. We didn't think so many people would comment purely on punctuation and grammar instead of the story itself.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+6
4 years ago (2020-03-15)
easyforcheez, as Lealeigh pointed out, when submitting a story only the location of the story and state area asked for. As for punctuation, spelling, format, etc., they can be done on a smart phone. I have one.

Run on sentences, lack of punctuation, sentences and paragraphs make it very difficult to grasp what someone is trying to say. It is just as easy to add a (.) at the end of a sentence as it is to hit the space bar.

Like lady-glow, I am very confused by who saw what where. Even reading through the comments that tried to clear it up, I still am confused.

I believe in dopplegangers. I've seen one. But I am having a very hard time believing easy2 saw her doppleganger covered in blood.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-11)
easyforcheez2.

My apologies if I offended you, that wasn't my intention.

Blame it on my old eyes but, when I have to read long paragraphs with scarce punctuation marks, it feels like having a visual of an auctioneer's speech.;)
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-03-10)
easyforcheez.

Thanks for replying.

Knowing that there are two of you helps to understand the confusion about the bloody doppelganger.

If the area was a battlefield at some point in the past, it's possible that you witnessed a replay of a bygone event. Perhaps that night was the anniversary of a battle fought many years before and you girls just happened to be in the right place at the right time or, depending on your opinion, in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Have you considered going for a joy ride in the same date as that time?

The bloody doppelganger is baffling though doesn't seem to be malignant. Just my opinion.

The way I see it, what you experienced that night opens the door to what can be a fascinating historical research.

It is always a good idea to carry some form of protection before going to a potentially dangerous place, I'm glad to hear that you have a Bible with you at all times.

I hope you find the answers you that are looking for.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-10)
Easyforcheez,

You never know! You might be surprised at all of the crazy things that may have gone down in the history of people living in your area.

You should start at the public library. I live in South Georgia and I researched the previous owners through property records. It turned out that my property used to be a small part of a large plantation. In the mid 1800's the man who owned this land had two children die of tuberculosis. I was interested in the history because something invisible threw a small piece of concrete at me, in my back yard.

My point, though, is that it is very easy to find things out at the library. I thought that I would have to do a bunch of searching myself but I was wrong. I went to the desk and told the guy what I wanted to know and he brought me to a computer and we looked at property records. He was very knowledgeable.

He said that librarians in the system have unlimited access to ancestry.com and it's affiliated programs. They can search at a depth that is unavailable to many people.

I hope what I have said is encouraging.

- Maria
easyforcheez (1 stories) (5 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-10)
Also I want to add that this area has a history of tribal wars between Indians and colonials. There are also known mass graves from battles and previous plagues that are undocumented, however have been discovered. We'll be searching local archives soon, however I am doubtful we will find anything particularly useful.
easyforcheez (1 stories) (5 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-03-10)
I am eesyforcheez the original author

Easyforcheez2 is the friend mentioned, just trying to put her input in. She doesn't have access to a computer so she was responding from her phone, unfortunately it's hard to use proper grammar punctuation and proper formatting on a smartphone.

We do appreciate the feedback, but also keep in mind it has been a couple years and other stuff has happened since then. I personally can't remember specific little details, but I can remember key points and most important details.

In regards to the "death echo", we were in a lifted and LOUD pickup. When that baby is running you can't hear anything outside and the sound was blood curdling and honestly sounded like it came from inside (almost). The only creatures nearby were horses a mile down the road.

With the fog, I do remmeber the day being clear and sunny. The fog wasn't anywhere near bodies of water. In this area whenever there is fog it's always near or over water, but that day it wasn't remotely close.

In regards to the job, it's a small town and maybe pays minimum wage. They don't care how often you go out or who you bring with you as long as it gets done.

I can only speak from my experience, but I was made to put a city down and the area is relevant but the exact town isn't.

We sometimes go back to these areas to be honest, bit we haven't seen or heard anything like what happened that night since. Wr also always carry around a bible.

Again, sorry for any typos, I did this on my phone.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-03-10)
Lady-glow,

It's a puzzle for sure; but it won't make us feel any smarter.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-10)
Argh... Please help!

Are there two of you with (almost) the same screen name? One that uses punctuation marks and another one who doesn't?

Sorry...I don't understand... What is going on!?!
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-03-09)
Hello easyforcheez and easyforcheez2,

When I have written stories for this site, I have never been forced to state the name of the town that I live in. The site only asks for a country - and, if you select "United States", it asks you to specify the state. They ask for a general area, which you provided, but they do not demand that you pinpoint your geographic location.

I am not trying to be argumentative. I am a little put off by your comments to lady-glow. I was the one who suggested the animals, in the first place and my intention (and that of the other commenters) was to help you get to the bottom of whatever is going on.

I think the main incident here, that is most troubling, is the doppelgänger.

- Maria

To easyforcheez2:

The best reason for making separate paragraphs is that the people on the receiving end of your comment will not be overwhelmed by lines and lines of words. Paragraphs help you to keep your place while reading. That is all lady-glow meant by that part of her comment.

A massive paragraph is difficult to keep up with and we are only trying to help.
easyforcheez (1 stories) (5 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-09)
Just for reference, the website said I had to put a city so I put the nearest major city. In reality it's a small town that is quite a distance away from Spokane. I will not be disclosing my actual location for safety reasons. Also, this is a free website as I am trying to get my story out, the punctuation will not be perfect.

These are not the only circumstances that have happened but these had the most prominent affect and began a series of events to follow. We had originally been shaken up and thought the worst, but we did exhaust non-paranormal reasons. We were driving a pickup and took in in soon after to have it checked out, nothing was wrong with it. Also being familiar with the area we know what animals are native and what sounds they make.

Keep in mind this did happen a few years ago and we found this website to get insight into the situation. We had done research though other locals, family and friends.

And to address such a secret in a small community, it's well known, but like with most small towns no one wants to talk about the ugly underbelly or secrets. They don't like to bring light to issues. The only people who talk about it are those who are open.

Sorry for any typing mistakes, I did this on my phone and this isn't a paid story that will be edited ❤ ❤ ❤
easyforcheez2 (1 stories) (12 posts)
-4
4 years ago (2020-03-09)
OK hello lady glow yes I am addressing you specifically since you were the one that commented the most recently. I'm here to clarify and clear up some stuff also this is a free website I'm not perfect nor is my punctuation in nor will it ever be perfect. This is free but I'm not willing to pay for my punctuation to be perfect. And personally I don't find the last part of your comment necessary. And as far as it not being Offensive I find that portion to be rather condescending and unnecessary as I previously stated. Now to do the clarifying my friend and eyes run ends with what I will refer to as my doppelgänger were separate times she never ran into my doppelgänger covered in blood but I did. Only one time did I run into my doppelgänger at the cemetery covered in blood. The other times I ran into my doppelgänger we're on a back road 10 miles away from the cemetery. My friend saw my doppelgänger at the cemetery every time. Now in reference to your question on the Spokane area. I said Spokane area because I'm not going to disclose my current location as that is very dangerous and extremely reckless. Because in all reality I live a good hour or more away from Spokane area and I have grown up here for now 20+ Years. I know the animals that are around me I've done research on this area because I've lived here for 20+ years, we do not have bobcats, cougars or other large cats like these around me. As for raccoons I know for a fact raccoons do not make the bloodcurdling scream noise that my friend and I heard that night as I have grown up around a raccoon sanctuary and helped out there along with the fact that wild raccoons come into my yard every spring and summer to get into my trash cans. And as far as further research we did do research the following six months after this occurrence because similar phenomenon kept happening so that's why we were able to disregard whether or not it was an animal noise. Also if you've been Around a big jacked up straight piped pick up before you would know how loud they can be so we would not have been able to hear a small raccoon or fox or bobcat or cougars cry over the pick up moving 35 mph. Thank you for your kind questions!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-03-09)
I find these statements very confusing and contradictory:

"She even told me herself that she saw herself there, however when she did it appeared she was covered in blood."

" the times that I physically saw myself as stated in the stories such as the times I saw myself covered in blood was not actually at the cemetery only one time was it at the cemetery"

So, who saw her bloody doppelganger?!? Was it her or was it you?

"about small animals this was during the winter time we did not have snow at the time but it was not the time where the animals would wake up from hibernation and up until recently we didn't have foxes or smaller animals that can make such noises in our surrounding areas it was not susceptible for life for those species."

Coyotes, cougars, bobcats and raccoons are some of the animals that live in the Spokane area, and none of them hibernate or have moved recently to this habitat. Perhaps what you heard wasn't an animal though, in my opinion, it's hard to discard that possibility without further investigation.

I'll appreciate your feedback and, only as a suggestion and meaning no offense, it would be nice if you don't forget to invite some punctuation marks to your narrative and organize the information in neat and easy to read paragraphs.

Thanks.
easyforcheez2 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-03-09)
Hello peoples I thought I would come on here and clear up some stuff this is the friend that was mentioned in the story. First I will address the comment about small animals this was during the winter time we did not have snow at the time but it was not the time where the animals would wake up from hibernation and up until recently we didn't have foxes or smaller animals that can make such noises in our surrounding areas it was not susceptible for life for those species. Second I will addressed the weather comment that day and night it was clear blue skies Zero clouds zero rain sleet snow or any other kind of weather phenomenon so the fog was very sudden and as stated very menacing and dents. Thirdly I will address the comment about the vehicle the vehicle we were in was a 2500 Dodge pick up that had been inspected not long before and right after immediately the next day after this incident was re-inspected to double check that nothing was wrong with the brakes or any other system on the truck and it was given a clean bill of health Zero clouds zero rain sleet snow or any other kind of weather phenomenon so the fog was very sudden and as stated very menacing and dents. Thirdly I will address the comment about the vehicle the vehicle we were in was a 2500 Dodge pick up that had been inspected not long before and right after immediately the next day after this incident was re-inspected to double check that nothing was wrong with the brakes or any other system on the truck and it was given a clean bill of health So we know for a fact it was not the vehicle. Lastly I will address whether or not phenomenon have happened before and after this incident near the cemetery in any other places and the answer to that is yes though this was the beginning of the most severe incidences there were others on other roads such as the main highway the main street which is nowhere near either of the cemeteries my friends house my house amongst many other places so this was not just a one time occurrence granted we have not heard the bloodcurdling scream since we have had other incidences similar to this and the times that I physically saw myself as stated in the stories such as the times I saw myself covered in blood was not actually at the cemetery only one time was it at the cemetery the other times it was on A Side Rd. 10 miles away from the cemetery so hope this clears up some Of your guises comments and questions
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-09)
There exists many stories on the web concerning fogs, mists and such. But I sense you really need to know what is behind your friend's doppelganger. This is fascinating. I have no idea about why the apparition looks like your friend - it could just be a coincidence that the two are identical in appearance. If this is the case, then that could be a major reason for the hauntings concerning you and your friend. I do not think this is a coincidence. Personally, I think this is an intelligent haunt who for some reason has chosen to appear like your friend. Just my guess.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-03-06)
Hello easyforcheez.

In my opinion, before assuming that these experiences are paranormal, it would be important to research or, at least, think about some possible logical explanations for the events.

About the fog, do you remember how was the weather like that day and that night? Is there a body of water close to the area?
Not knowing the above information makes hard to decide if the mist was only a meteorological and you girls just let your imagination run wild, or if you really witnessed a paranormal event.

The following article gives contains some information to take into consideration before deciding the nature of the fog.

Https://www.weather.gov/lmk/fog_tutorial

About the "death echo", Lealeigh has provided a very logical explanation. Are there any other animals in the area that could have made the noise? Perhaps a mountain lion either roaring or killing some other animal?

Do you know if any of your friend's coworkers have seen anything unusual while working at the cemetery?

"After that she refused to go back without a group of people."

Did her employer agree to such arrangement? If so, who were the other people - coworkers, friends, family members?
Whichever, she was lucky that her employer didn't let her go and for having someone/s who didn't mind to go to that creepy place.

Have your experiences happened only at the cemetery? What do you know about the history of the area? Are you aware of any tragic or violent events that could have triggered the paranormal activity? Do you know if any other locals have reported experiencing something similar to you?

I'm sure something like this would be difficult to keep a secret in a small community, I imagine this cemetery would be a must do dare for all the teenagers of the town so, why is it that " there's only a few people we can talk to about this"?

Perhaps the only thing you need to do in order to find the answers you are looking for, would be consulting the local archives and asking questions to the inhabitants of the place... And don't forget to share your finding with us.
MrsRamsay (guest)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-06)
Hi Easy,
Wild story, thanks for sharing. As a mom, not trying to scold you but relieved that you girls were all right after being out all night driving around. As they say, nothing good really happens after midnight, haha. Great story to tell your own kids someday after they've snuck out too! Or better yet, before! Seriously though, stay away from people who are messing with the dark arts. It's just opening things up that will take away from the joy in your own lives. Find that joy and share it with those you love!
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2020-03-05)
Hello easyforcheez,

I have a few questions:

What makes you so certain that there weren't any animals around? Foxes are small enough to be reasonably hidden from the sight of a passing vehicle.

I read this from:

Https://www.nbcnews.com/sciencemain/vixen-video-goes-viral-heres-what-fox-actually-says-8C11100322

"The loudest and most prominent sound made by foxes is the scream or contact call, typically used by vixens, or females, when they are ready to breed in the late winter and spring, Harris told LiveScience. This "blood-curdling" call "sounds a bit like somebody being murdered,"

I don't know what to say about the apparition. It doesn't seem like a good thing - from your friend's perspective. She probably won't have the job at the cemetery for too much longer, anyway, if she will only go there with a group of people.

- Maria
Rajine (14 stories) (735 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-05)
That is quite a creepy incident that has happened to both you and your friend, I do believe that something followed both of your'll, maybe as some of sort of warning to stay away?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: