You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Uninvited Guest

Real Ghost Stories

The Uninvited Guest

 

The exact date of this story: July 7th, 2004. I was at my mother's house in Aberdeen, Maryland. It was summer and I was living (I was 18 at the time) at home after my freshmen year at college in New Orleans. I should have stayed in New Orleans and lived at my new apartment, but no I decided coming home and working for my father for a few months would serve me best. Stupid decision...anyway...

That morning I got into a bit of an argument with a girl I was interested in and I was feeling really low/angry right off the bat. On top of that, I ventured down to Baltimore City to attend the funeral viewing of one of my friend's fathers. I'd been to several funerals, no big deal. I hung around with some of my friends afterwards at a house in Ellicot City before I made the eventual drive back up to Aberdeen at around midnight.

Now at this time, I'd lived at my mom's house since 2002 (2 years) after my parents separated. Nothing strange had ever happened. I'd heard little things about how the previous owners were old people who had died, but nothing too frightening. I'd seen ghosts previous to this story, I didn't like them, but I never got the feeling my mom's house had any activity going on. Let alone in my bedroom.

I came home and went to bed around 1:00 am that evening. Yeah, I guess it was a shiatty day, but nothing I hadn't been through before. So as I'm lying there trying to fall asleep I start to hear my bedroom door creak open. This has happened before. I ignored it. Then it keeps creaking... And creaking... And creaking. Now I'm lying on top of my blankets, feeling the ceiling fan blow on my legs as it occurs to me "Man, that creaking isn't stopping". Just then I stop feeling the wind from the ceiling fan on my leg.

Then than thought crosses my mind - "Hmm, that feels weird". Just then, a jolt of BAD BAD FEELINGS shoots up my back and I instantly pull my blanket over my head. I guess that's where the term "spine tingling" came from? It was a horrible feeling of shock/fright/nervousness that hit me in spine/stomach area all at once. So in that 2-3 second time span I'm under the covers I think "Man, if I take these covers off I'm going to see something" but at the same time "I really want to get out of my room right now".

So I threw my blanket off and sure enough, my bedroom door was halfway open and the head/shoulders of figure was gliding across my bedroom. Now it's a small room. I was in my bed and the thing was probably 3-4ft away in the space between my bed and desk. I couldn't tell if it was a man or lady. It was just a very vague gray/purple misty outline of a head/shoulders moving through the room. I screamed at the top of my lungs and ran right out the door, down the stairs, and into the den where my brother was still awake and on the phone.

"I saw it! I saw it! I saw it!" and he of course, ignored my rantings. It completely ruined the night. I couldn't fall asleep and went to work the next day with rest. Ever since then, I've slept on the couch in the den. I rarely EVER go upstairs. Remember that I have a whole bedroom upstairs and it's been over 4 years since I've slept in it.

Case in point, Christmas Eve of that year I was home while everyone else was gone to midnight mass. I was upstairs brushing my teeth. I did not want to be there, so when I was done I hurried down the hallway to the stairwell. Before I got that far, all the hallway lights flicked on by themselves. I spent the rest of that evening sitting in the car, not going back into the house until somebody came home.

Rest assured, when that thing came into my room, it was the most frightening experience of my life. Hands down. Words cannot explain. And there's nothing 'spiritual' about it. I don't care about what spirits are in my parent's house, and why they would be there. Whenever I visit, I sleep on the couch.

Other hauntings by JoshuaAD

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maryland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JoshuaAD, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

sejadasgirl (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-24)
Spirits get most of thei energy from the emootions of the humans around them. With all the negitive emotion that was going on in there with your fight with the girl and plus just having to go to the funeral of one of your friends fatheres, I'm sure you were not too happy about that, so the enitity was feeding off of all that which made it stromng enough to show oitself in away.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-27)
Well what you encountered can be simply explained by saind GHOST. I believe that your house might have been haunted before but the spirits didn't have enough energy to show themsleves. If you were going through a hard time and there were different feelings in the house then I guess it was a great moment for spirits to use this energy. I bet this sounds crazy but its a possible explanation. Again thank you for sharring this story and I'm looking forward to reading other ones soo. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
MOTHERPANN (10 stories) (77 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-24)
I seem to notice that most activitiy seems to happen around negative attitudes.
Almost like they feed on the vibes. I have experienced many things whether I have been happy or angry but I do feel that when I am in a bad mood more things happen. Maybe it was feeding on your mood of a Sh***y day.
Of course that doesn't explain the second time unless you want to count in that feeling frightened also brings them out of the woodwork too.
Take care
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-23)
😆 that was so funny to picture you seeing the lights flicker and you bolt down the stairs and out of the house! I'm sorry but it did make me laugh.
I find it odd that if this was a haunting that was in your parents house that it would only stay in your room. I wonder why it will not come to the couch or living room?
I know it can be very scarry to have to deal with something like that however as everyone said this is something that you will need to comfront or deal with. How? You can start by finding out some history on your mom's house. Also put a camera in your room or a recorder and see if you can capture something. You never know but you might have brought something back with you from the funeral you were at that night.
Keep us posted
Nevadaghosthunter (1 stories) (20 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-23)
Wow,
I feel for you but unfortunately you did exactly what the entity wanted you to do. I understand that it is a natural reaction to run. It is always a frightening experience but you need to find out what other members of your family have experienced and also get as much history of the building and the land that you can get. By giving this entity a name and a past, you'll make it less frightening. It never attacked you and in fact probably thinks it was a hoot to scare you enough for you to sit in the car. Find out as much as you can about who is haunting your parents house. I agree- knowledge is power.
Hoochler (1 stories) (263 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-22)
JoshuaAD
I just updated my profile with information on how to defend against (and attack) this spirit if you are interested.

You are not the only person with a spirit bothering them on this site, at least you did not invite this presence to you with a Ouija board. 😊
Hoochler (1 stories) (263 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-22)
JoshuaAD
You have already received some good advice by the previous posters here. I particularly agree with ghostseer's comment that KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. Examine what you yourself wrote

"Just then, a jolt of BAD BAD FEELINGS shoots up my back and I instantly pull my blanket over my head. I guess that's where the term "spine tingling" came from? It was a horrible feeling of shock/fright/nervousness that hit me in spine/stomach area all at once."

The terror you felt was projected onto you. The spirit sent a terror thought form to you that penetrated your aura and most likely entered your body at the solar plexus and made its way up your nervous system to the brain. Although you felt the emotion of terror, think back, you probably didn't really know (besides in very vague terms) what exactly you were afraid of, did you? You just felt sheer, vague terror. I had something very similar happen to me (details on my posted story) so I understand how frightening that can be.

The spirit wanted to make you afraid and it got what it wanted. You not wanting to face it again just emboldens it and gives it continual power over you.

It is likely this thing randomly followed you home from the funeral / cemetery / funeral home the day of the funeral and you have given it no reason to find someone else to pick on all these years. You can stand up to this thing, and rest assured you can drive it off if you choose to.

You have a HUGE advantage over any spirit in that you are in a physical body with virtually limitless energy reserves (food) available to you to that you can use to defend yourself while draining the spirit's energy over time.

Although the fear you feel now about this thing is real (it is a product of your own mind), most of this fear is probably a by product of your memory of the terror thought form it sent to you years ago. You can defend yourself against thought forms if you want to.

To keep this post brief, I invite you to e-mail me if you are interested in learning the specifics to harden your aura or to better understand thought forms (everyone, including spirits, can make thought forms).

It doesn't take courage to do something you aren't afraid of.
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-22)
It is a normal behavior to feel afraid, but ignoring it...well, I know a lot of people who do the same thing. Lost souls, spirits, ghosts, demons angels... They DO exist... There is just only so much the human mind is willing to comprehend, and for some people, they can't wrap the mind around this supernatural thing...It's o.k., it's your survival instinct taking over. One thing I have to say to you: KNOWLEDGE is POWER. You may want to learn more here so you are armed NEXT time it happens. I have lived with these experiences my whole life, and I know they are a gift. I don't necessarily enjoy having them on all the time, but they are a part of me, never to go away. I started searching for answers early on. It has helped me to deal with the things I see. You may want to do the same. Sticking your head in the sand isn't the best was to deal with anything, and I think you know this. I started my web page, www.ghost-e.com as a sort of informational. To help people understand, they are not alone here. Main thing I want to say... Do not give in to fear, this gives them power. Blessings, Ghostseer
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-22)
Joshua--You described the prime experience vividly. Who or what can it be? Any discussion with your family besides the blow-off by your brother? The previous tenants, an old couple, died, but in the house? If the thing were out for you, it would creep you downstairs on the couch but doesn't. As Rhodes asks, What kind of help do you seek?
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-22)
😆 sorry I had to laugh the imagine that came into my head when you say you screamed and ran. I certainly would have done the same.

However, I have yo go with Rhodes on this one, you need to your family to establish whether they have experianced anything. You will have to comfront it at some point if this goes on. Keep us posted.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-22)
I'm sure that coming face to face with a "floating" apparition is not the best sight in the world-it IS one that causes fear and I can definitely relate to you making a run for the car but being in complete panic and refusing to deal with it isn't the best solution either. You ask for help but what kind of help do you want? If you're unwilling to have another experience, tell someone you trust about what happened. If it wasn't a drifting soul that would probably not bother you again, if you suspect that it's still there, let your parents know about it and help it if help is needed. If it's stuck there for some reason, it won't go away by ignoring it let alone that your fear is all the confirmation it needs that you perceive it. For that, it might try to approach you again.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: