You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Oma's Denial Of A House Guest

Real Ghost Stories

Oma's Denial Of A House Guest

 

This account involves me, my children, my sister and my mother. It took place in my mother's home in a small town near London, Ontario, Canada.

I grew up in that house since I was 9 years old and while it is not the main story, I did have one odd, repeated occurrence, that happened to me.

Often, when I would go down to the basement, where my bedroom was, after rounding the landing to the second flight of stairs, there would be a distinct touch on my back. It was not painful but felt like someone giving me a good hard flick on my back with their finger. At first I would turn to look, thinking one of my brothers was behind me but this was never the case. Eventually I just shrugged it off (no pun intended) as a physiological oddity. Otherwise there is nothing I can think of that was supernatural in that house while I lived there.

After my father died, in the early 1990s, my mother lived alone in the family home. I would visit regularly with my three children and my wife as we did not live too far away.

The house was a bungalow, in which you could see down the hallway to the bedrooms and bathroom from the vantage point of the living room.

One day after visiting, on the way home in the car, my 12 year old daughter (my oldest) said to me, "When we are at Oma's (Dutch for grandmother) house do you see the shadow in the hallway?" I told her that I didn't. She went on to tell me that she would see the shadow of a person move quickly across the hallway from the area of the basement stairs to one of the bedrooms. I asked her if that was the first time she had seen it and she told me that she had seen it many times over the previous few years. I then said, "You didn't tell Oma, did you?" She said that she had not. I told her to never tell Oma because she would perhaps then be afraid in her own home. I also suggested to my daughter that it could be the sun reflected from a car going by or some other trick of the light.

A few years passed and my daughter told me that it did not matter if it was day or night, if the curtains were open or closed or if there were lights on in the house or not, she would still see the quickly moving shadow in the hallway. She thought it was the shape of a man. By this time I believed she was seeing something supernatural, although I had not yet heard of a shadow person. I once again cautioned her against telling Oma.

My mother was a woman who did not speak much of ghostly matters as this seemed to her to be dabbling at the edge of evil and certainly was not allowed in the type of Christian home and church she grew up in. This was another reason we could not tell my mother of the shadow man.

Years went by and by this time my other two children had also seen the shadow man from time to time. They described it the same way my oldest daughter did.

In 2006 my children and I were visiting my mother one evening. My mother said, during the course of the conversation, that it sometimes gets lonely living in the house all alone. I agreed that it would. She then went on to say that sometimes it gets a little scary. I said that I could understand but did not ask for specifics as I did not want tread into the regions of taboo. She went on of her own accord, however, and said that sometimes at night she would hear sounds as if someone was working at the workbench in the basement. She would also hear the sound of the vice being used. She quickly followed this by saying, "You know... House noises". I said that "house noises" were quite different than the sound of somebody working at the workbench. In full denial she said, "NO! Just house noises." I was going to let it drop there and not push unsettling theories on a woman living alone.

She then calmly said, "And then there's the shadow of a man that flits across the hallway all the time, but I know that's my imagination."

At this my kids and I looked from one to the other and, with a force, all of us contained ourselves and kept our mouths from flapping or hanging open.

I believe it was my mother's way of telling me about the scary occurrences that still fit in with her ideas of Christian propriety. The denial that anything was really amiss kept her safe within those bounds. That was all she would say about it and the subject was closed.

Unfortunately my mother became ill a few months later. She was in the hospital when my sister went to my mother's house to take care of things there. My sister had been to the basement to gather some laundry. When she was back on the main floor, getting ready to leave, she heard a tremendous bang in the basement. She left as quickly as she could.

My sister then called me at work from her house, next door to my mother's, and explained the situation. She then asked me to check out my mother's basement after work. I agreed but only if she came with me (I know, I know, in reference to my Eldon House story and now this, there is an uncomplimentary trend in my bravado on display).

At my mom's, when we got downstairs, I was looking for anything that may have fallen or burst or anything that could make that noise. There was nothing. I then warned my sister that I was going to close a door forcefully. When I did this I thought she was going to jump out of her skin. She said, "THAT'S IT, THAT'S IT, that's the bang"! For those who will suggest it, there is no way that door could do this on its own or with wind etc.

A few days after this my sister started to have bangs in the basement of her house, but that is her story to tell.

Sadly, my mom never returned to her home as she died of cancer, in the hospital. I will tell the odd story that surrounded her death at another time.

As for the house itself, my sister is in contact with the current owner but he has never reported any odd occurrences.

Other hauntings by Kindly_refrain

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kindly_refrain, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-05-26)
Thanks Manafon1, I am good with it, honest.

I like the explanation, speculative as it is.

I guess one day we will all see the full truth of how it works over there.

If I go before you I'll try to tell you what I found out... But not in a repetitious way of course.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-26)
Kindly refrain--I like to think (and anyone's thoughts on the afterlife are merely speculative of course) that the inane, mundane activities which residual ghosts are often reported to be engaged in, are a form of intercepted telepathic transmissions (more than purposeful messages being sent).

The mundane images that a human being intercepts might be better thought of as a stray message from the infinite (afterlife) to the finite (human life). Intercepting a stray, mundane thought from someone who has passed over might conceivably be akin to viewing one porthole on what is actually an impossibly vast ship (to use an analogy).

We percieve a figure endlessly repeating itself in what could be considered a nightmare it can't escape from when in reality the intercepted thought, coming from a far vaster intellectual domain, where time presents no boundary, is merely a passing bit of an immensely more detailed thought that we as human beings living finite, circumscribed lives, can only take in as a sliver of what is actually passing through the disembodied mind.

We might only be able to percieve a repititious and mundane chunk of information, repeated, when in reality, the thought from "the other side" is a brief, random thought, stretched out by our standards of time and the comparatively tiny space our lives encompass. Something like that 😁.
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-26)
Shrush, thank you for you sympathy and thanks for your compliment on my stories.

I can't take credit for the occurrences but I am glad you liked the way they were written.
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-26)
DandK, thanks for telling me of your post life rescue plan. You really have thought things through. It must be a real worry for you.

I think about the residual entities some but seldom think I will become one of those. Manafon1's explanations also lend comfort to me.

While the residual thing is reported often enough it just seems too broken an existence to believe the universe has planned for us to exist in this state at all, let alone for an eternity.

I believe God has made the universe with order and that explanations like Manafon1's are far more likely than the disquieting ones.
Shrush (3 stories) (46 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-26)
Hey!
Excellent story very well narrated...
Your other stories are very good, I read them all
My deepest condolence for loss of your mother
Shrush:)
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-26)
Manafon1, I believe what you are saying about time... Except for the times that I don't.

I, as a kid, also thought about endless boredom in the afterlife. I always pictured heaven to be like a newly built subdivision. Mostly treeless and sterile but with golden sidewalks. I couldn't stand the thought of eternity that way.

As an adult I have also come to believe that time in the afterlife will be meaningless and that we will be in a state of "completeness". It is at times when it seems folks are hanging around the earth after their deaths, doing inane things that my doubts rise.

You have already given explanations for much of this which mostly satisfy me.

I still wonder why some sentient interactive spirits hang around when they could move on and be made "whole". I have heard many explanations but I think I, personally, would rather move on than hang around. I suppose it takes all kinds, even there.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-05-26)
DandK--I like how you sum up how time may play on our perceptions. As I wrote in a recent reply to kindly refrain, I really do believe that human conceptions of time are eradicated in the hereafter. Without thinking about the pressure time creates in our minds, and that biological clock always ticking away, the afterlife is moments objectified and savored in ways we can't comprehend.

Far from a crushing boredom, it hopefully is something closer to a pure clarity. In other words the infinite becomes something the soul desires to embrace.
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-26)
Manafon1, it's hard for me to imagine what influence malleable time would have on my perceptions. So much of our existence depends on time. If you look at the obvious 'anomalies' that we've all experienced: time flew, time seemed to stand still, I felt like we just got here, where did the day go, why does the last minute on the treadmill take so long, time goes faster the older you get... We could be really experiencing that malleable time and just ignoring it because of all the cliches we've heard our entire lives. Why is it that sometimes I'm not hungry all day? Is it because of malleable time making me experience a passed day, but my body being on the old time schedule?

I've also been bothered by an eternal afterlife concept, with respect to time. I'm having a problem with time, and come to think of it, I always have.
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-26)
Kindly_refrain,
Thank you for the website link. I have not heard of the Monroe Institute. I'll check it out.

I don't have a solid plan yet on how to avoid the sleepwalking state in death. So far, I've just been prepping myself by repeatedly telling myself that someday I'm going to die so I should be on the lookout for any moments where I realize I'm confused. Then if that clicks, to remember that I'm dead. Then start analyzing my situation and think myself through it. I feel like if I tell myself that enough, it may eventually stick and help. In the meantime, I'm also telling my loved ones that they should randomly speak out loud to me often throughout the day for a good six months after I die, and say my name firmly, and tell me I'm dead. So far they've agreed to do this.

I'm still trying to work out any other type of plan, but am hoping this one gets me by in the interim.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-25)
Hi kindly refrain--It really does seem to be the case that the idea of time being linear was borne out of, originally, planting and harvesting crops, the seasonal migration of animals (for nomadic peoples) and in more recent history, the need to regiment time to make sense out of the modern industrialized world.

I do know that modern physics suggests time is more malleable than most people would hope to think it is but even with that said my main point was that any conception of time is quite possibly thrown out the window in the afterlife.

As a boy it used to bother me that the afterlife was one where, potentially, one would exist for "eternity". What boredom I thought. But that is a human being as a boy thinking. It struck me, somewhere in the past twenty years, that whatever the afterlife is, it doesn't include any human conception of the marking of time. It's a pure sense of souls existing and interacting without the thought of, "man, can we wrap this up I have to get two hours sleep before work."
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-25)
DandK, it is probably too personal but I am very curious as to how you plan to prevent personal ghostly somnambulism.

I don't know if you have ever read or heard about the Monroe Institute, https://www.monroeinstitute.org/ but I know a fellow who went there some years ago.

As they delved deeper into different levels of consciousness (they may say existence), in their classes one of their tasks was to locate and rescue souls that for various reasons did not "move on". He told me that some of them do not realize they are dead, especially after a sudden accident or some don't want to go or for other reasons they are confused.

What ever you think about that the website is worth a look anyway.
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-25)
sushantkar, thank you for your sympathy and your compliment regarding my story.

I have now read some of your stories and they are very interesting.

I am not exactly sure why but I very much like the stories submitted from India. It is like the ghostly frame work is different there. I also like the way they are written.
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-25)
Manafaon1 and DandK, we don't have to be on the other side to experience time anomalies, at least according to some physics theories.

They suggest that time is not linear or contiguous although for the most part we experience it that way. The explanations are too deep for this forum (and sometimes for me) but the claim is that we experience time in this linear fashion for convenience.

They also state that glimpses of the future or past and time slips are due to time being much more malleable than we normally experience it.
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-24)
Hi kindle! Wonderfully narated story. My condolence for the loss of your mom may her soul rest in peace.

Regards
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-24)
DandK--I wrote that spirits don't have the encumbrance of time based mostly on the duration of many reported hauntings. There have been single hauntings that have been reported over multiple human lifetimes. Of course, until we actually find ourselves on "the other side" it is impossible to have any definite answers on that subject.

Your thoughts that their time is forward and backward could very well be true. It is just as possible that their experience has nothing to do with our concerns over time. Time seems so tied to deadlines and the finite nature of biological life that, in my conception, is an encumbrance that is shed after the body dies. I like to think of it that way at least.
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-24)
Manafon1,

I've wondered about the difference in time constraints between this realm and the spirit realm. I've gotten the impression that it's not so much that time has no meaning to them as it is that their time is forward and backward, whereas ours is pointwise only going forward. They still have the same time experience, but they can go to another time in a way similar to how we can travel by car to another location. This means also that the whole concept of traveling in spatial dimensions is different for them and would be totally foreign to us. I need to think about that more!
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-23)
Kindly_refrain, I know what you mean about not liking the idea of being in a foggy state in the next realm. I have recently had thoughts about trying to find ways to 'keep myself' awake and in touch with my reality when I die. I have wondered if us sleepwalking folk are more prone to becoming residuals when we pass on. I'm hoping that if I can prepare myself mentally that I will recognise the situation when it arises.

I know that my late husband wasn't in a fog. He was desperately trying to get my attention when he died. I know this as much as I know my own existence. I am hoping that if he can somehow reach me after I pass that he'll help out!
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-23)
Somebody had asked about the shadow figure's movements.

I spoke with my daughter this evening and she tells me that the figure did always move in the same direction. It was from the bedroom - across the hall - then to the stairwell. I think I had the direction backwards, not that it changes things substantially.
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-23)
Hi Manafon1, don't apologize, it is all interesting. The discussion going on here hasn't even slipped into general gab as it sometimes can. It has all been honest discussion on what we all would like to understand better.

Thanks. I think I will chase down the books you mention.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-23)
Rook--Thanks for sharing that link. I do remember that story after reading it again. I used to love the books of Charles Berlitz. As intriguing as the story of the two couples staying at an inn that seemed to have come from many decades earlier is, it comes from one of Berlitz's many books collecting odd stories of the unexplained that were marketed first and foremost as entertainment. Stuff like, "The Bermuda Triangle", "The Mystery of Atlantis" and "World of Incredible But True". This story is interesting but does have two problems that someone brings up at the end of the link.

Those issues are why didn't the hotel employees find the clothes and car of these time travelers bizarre or at least mention them. A modern car would have certainly freaked out French small town citizens pre 1905. A TV movie was made of their incident and one can't help but wonder if their story (only related three years after it supposedly took place) was fabrication, ala The Amityville Horror, constructed to garner some interest with hopes to sell the idea. It certainly is a fun story but seems to have some big holes. Still, I do feel time slips are a possibility. Sorry to have digressed in your comment section kindly refrain. I will put any further off topic comments under one of my stories.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-23)
Manofon,

I bet you are correct... Time Slip seems to fit what I am thinking of...

"20th-Century Guests Stay in 19th-Century Hotel

From "World of Strange Phenomena" by Charles Berlitz, published 1988 by Wynwood Press."

Http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/16773-20th-century-guests-stay-in-19th-century-hotel/

Is a good example of what I mean.

Respectfully,

Rook
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-23)
Rook--I should add to my last comment that in the case of the Petit Trianon "time slip" case, all the main structures were still standing (with several modifications) from the earlier time depicted in the time slip. Whereas in the type of case where you describe a building that is no longer standing where people claim to have spent time, it's obviously no longer a physical structure. In other words, the theory of an elaborate appararitional drama could be what occurred at Versailles but not in the vanishing inn scenario. An apparitional drama, in other words, just can't explain someone staying in a hotel long vanished where it could explain multiple apparitional people interacting amidst period furnishings in a structure that is still standing. The building in the former case would seem to provide the perfect amount of the physical where a human being could physically move around in while telepathically receiving the apparitional drama that completes the picture.

On that thought, do you know of any well documented cases of someone actually staying in an inn, or eating at a restaurant only to find out later it has been gone for years? Many of these types of stories seem to fall more in line with urban legend. High in entertainment value but low on evidence.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-23)
Rook--That is an interesting conjecture! I suppose that could be what happens in reported "time slip" cases like that which supposedly occurred at the Versailles Petit Trianon. I remember reading somewhere (I think it was a book by Andrew Mackenzie) that the hypothetical "apparitional drama" could theoretically encompass a massive scene, involving buildings, multiple figures and so on. Of course as these figures and structures would be telepathically created there wouldn't be any actual physicality to it all. Then again an instance like the hypothetical inn you bring up where people stay only to find out later it closed years before could indeed be a case of an actual time slip or a temporary slip into an alternate dimension.

Those types of cases have always driven me nuts. Because unless they did either slip back in time or to an alternate dimension, where exactly were they sleeping, eating and everything else!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-23)
Manafon,

I wonder if this theory would cover the shared experiences of those who were on vacation, found that 'quaint' little old fashioned Inn and completely enjoyed there stay... Only to discover at some later point in time that Inn they stayed at had closed 60-100 years before their visit. You know the experiences I'm referring to (no names come immediately to mind)?

The real issue with that however becomes... If they did not sleep at the 'Inn' where did they sleep?

Respectfully,

Rook
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-23)
Rook--The apparitional drama as postulated by G.N.M. Tyrrell was specifically used as his theoretical construct to explain, specifically, "shared" apparitional experiences where more than one person perceives an apparition while awake.

The process itself takes place below the level of consciousness, so maybe that is where your thought that the person isn't awake when he/she perceives the vision comes from. Two excellent books that look at the apparitional drama with case study examples (always concerning people while awake) are Tyrrell's books, "Apparitions" and "Science and Psychical Phenomena". Both are excellent and can be found easily on amazon.

Of course, following Tyrrell's general theory, the same type of telepathic interaction would take place in the "visitation dream". The only difference with this apparitional drama would be that the percipient is asleep. What makes waking apparitional dramas so fascinating is that multiple people, simultaneously, can theoretically percieve the same vision in real time. Of course there are also reports of people having dreams that upon later investigation happened at around the same time but there is really something to be said about the simultaneous perception of an apparition by two or more people at the same time with only very minor discrepancies.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-23)
Manafon,

I have always been under the impression that the '"apparitional drama", was 'triggered' by an individual spirit but viewed by the 'haunted individual' in their dreams and not as something visually witnessed while awake.

Are there many cases for study where the 'event' happened while the individual was fully awake and where can I find them?

Respectfully,

Rook
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-23)
Kindly refrain--As one psychical researcher (G.N.M. Tyrrell) puts it, what is telepathically transmitted by the deceased mind can only be a pretty vague and general idea, what he himself calls a theme or motif. "The original telepathic impression provides only the general outline of the plot. To work out the details, we must postulate some further factor which Tyrrell calls 'The Producer'. But even when the apparitional drama has been worked out in detail, the task of presenting it still remains. This task is assigned to another... Factor which Tyrrell (the researcher) calls 'the stage carpenter'. The Stage Carpenter's function is to bring into existence just those hallucinatory precepts which the Producer requires."

Tyrrell then further states, "The Producer and Stage Carpenter may be thought of as psychological constituents of the percipient's personality, constituents of it which operate in a quasi-autonomous manner below the level of consciousness."

So, yes, the person perceiving the apparitional drama does indeed (at least their subconscious) have a say in how the scene is presented. That said, as this is all taking place in the subconscious there will be much more uniformity in the drama itself, if multiple people perceive it, than if our minds were consciously making choices like, "I prefer red draperies to Venetian blinds" or "I think it would be cooler to perceive a Corvette than a LeCar". It really is fascinating stuff.
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-23)
PunkysMama, you may be right about what a ghost knows.

Maybe we need practice being a ghost, for a while, to do our haunting "correctly".

Even Patrick Swayze in the movie, GHOST, needed to hone his skills.
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-23)
Manafon1, I like you latest post very much.

So... If I am to paraphrase. The script is already created by the "writer" but I have the artistic license to produce the play on my stage with my own set of props.

Correct me if I am way off base here.
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-23)
spiritwaiting, thank you for your sympathy, we have just passed the anniversary of her death and while the sting is out of it, it does make me reflect on my mother and her passing more at these times.

My mom would allow very little talk of ghostly matters either. It did depend on "rank" though. Her sister and my father's brother each had an experience that she allowed them to tell her. She even told us of them when we were young adults. If we, as her children, showed too much interest in these matters, however, we were shut down. Possibly this was for our protection.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: