You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Uninvited Passenger

Real Ghost Stories

The Uninvited Passenger

 

June 2020 brought with it my 73rd birthday, our 50th wedding anniversary, and very nearly my death. The bite of a Lone Star tick passed an infection into my bloodstream that was nearly fatal. Had treatment been delayed by a day I would have died, according to my doctor.

That experience confirmed that life is short and death can occur unexpectedly. I knew that, but still, it was a lesson learned. What troubled me most was passing on without sharing this life experience. "Story" does not apply here. What happened to me is being shared in this recounting. Make no mistake. This is about us, not just me. I am not a favored member of the human race, nor do I hold any special status. This could have been you, or it might be you one day in the future.

We are being watched. By who or what I do not know. Something certainly knew who I was and what I was doing at the time. I find that fairly easy to accept. Being watched supernaturally seems benign and is a common religious concept. Besides, what can we do about it? Of far greater concern is that something of a supernatural nature has the ability to appear in our physical world and interact, intercede or interfere in our respective lives. This is more difficult to accept or believe than simply being watched or observed. That is what I personally encountered and I have struggled with this memory for 50 years. It is a haunting of sorts, though not evil or demonic. You see, something almost indescribable presented itself to me in order to intercede in a critical decision that would impact the balance of my life. Had I not personally experienced what I am going to tell you, I would not believe it.

I was a soldier during the Vietnam War and assigned to a military installation in the eastern U.S. Circumstances required me to attend a week's training at another military post. While there I met a girl and we dated twice, as well as shared a few telephone calls. I returned to my unit, and after a few letters and phone calls we decided to marry. While odd, unusual things happen during wartime. I was an infantry soldier and my future was not assured. At 22, I thought I had nothing to lose by marrying. The war, on the other hand, was a more immediate concern.

It did not take long to arrange a return trip, perhaps a week or 10 days. We opted to drive to a Justice of the Peace to be wed. I drove her slightly less than mid-size American car, and in a few minutes we were on the interstate highway. There was a little nervous tension in the air as we undertook the trip. Then, about 10 minutes into the drive, it happened. An invisible entity appeared in the backseat of her car, directly behind me. It radiated an almost indescribable power through what seemed an invisible aura. I nearly blurted out "There's something in the car with us!" but managed to hold my tongue. My fear was appearing mad in front of the woman who would soon be my wife. Then, being somewhat psychic, I thought for an instant that this was a related experience. That thought left as quickly as it arrived. There was an entity in the back seat of the car and there was no denying it. Whatever it was, my soon to be wife had no idea something irregular was going on. This was happening to me alone.

There were no spoken words. Words were unnecessary at that point. It communicated with messages that appeared in my consciousness. They were complete conveyances. They arrived as whole ideas, not words that had to be assembled into an idea. Its communications resulted in immediate understanding. It was knowledge instantly gained and comprehended, though short and simple in presentation. Communication could be physical as well as mental. As soon as I grasped the idea that this was really happening, it pushed me forward toward the steering wheel rather abruptly. That was a confirming wake-up call.

I saw nothing of this being. Somehow I knew it to be about 8 feet tall. As I drove down the interstate I envisioned its head, neck and shoulders to be through and above the roof of the car. I do not know if that was communicated to me or not. I just seemed to know. I have no idea about its legs, assuming it had legs. I felt no sense of evil or dread, though it was non-physically oppressive to some degree. It was as though there was some sort of radiated pressure that served to confirm its presence. I felt the oppressive energy made this being unapproachable. A giant electro-magnet comes to mind, with its power of attraction reversed to instead repel. Yet, though very powerful, the repelling energy was initially gentle but firm. It was apparent that this being was not there to be my friend. It was, in fact, delivering a message. I do not know if the message was generated by this being, or if it had been sent to delivery a message created by someone else. It soon became apparent that it was interceding in my life in a surprising way. Its purpose was strictly business.

There was no time to be afraid. This was a real time ongoing encounter and I was instinctively responding to it. At the same time I was operating a motor vehicle on an interstate highway. A tiny part of me wondered what the woman riding with me was thinking. She was actually unaware of what was happening and, in fact, 50 years later still does not know this encounter took place.

DO NOT MARRY THIS WOMAN. That's what appeared in my mind. There were no words to quote. There was only knowledge and understanding, though reenforced by the somewhat oppressive energy I mentioned previously. Once started, the communications continued. They became more intense and more urgent, though not overwhelming. A father telling a child not to touch something hot comes to mind. Not all communications were identical as the phrasing sometimes differed, even though there were no words involved. No matter how the idea was passed, I was not to marry this woman. That understanding was amplified by unpleasant energy that was now becoming overbearing. If this being wanted my attention it was fully successful and I had nowhere to hide.

The entity's appearance, confrontation and interference were undermining my driving ability. I was slowing down in response to what was happening to me. Was this due to being distracted? Was my mind or body being influenced beyond my control? I do not know. In the distance a turn-around for emergency vehicles appeared. The communications, still in idea or knowledge form, changed to TURN AROUND AND TAKE HER BACK TO HER FAMILY. That came to me loud and clear with enhanced urgency. I am ashamed to say I almost did exactly that, and was involuntarily slowing to make the turn. The oppressive energy was taking a toll. All I seemed to be doing was responding to this being or entity.

I chose to stay my course. Not that I was deeply in love or a brave soul with steel in my spine. I was just afraid of returning her to her home and telling her family a ghost made me do it.

The emergency turn-around approaching, we came to the completely unexpected climax of the encounter. I had hands on the steering wheel and apparently the entity did as well. Now we struggled for control of the steering wheel as the entity tried to force me, or to physically encourage me, to turn her car around and take her back. How odd to write these words as I am absolutely certain I could have easily been overpowered by whatever this was.

The Scotch-Irish half of me surfaced and I blew-up in anger. I hate being bullied and that's what this experience felt like. Now it was my turn to communicate without spoken words. My sternly transmitted mental message was "Leave me alone. I intend to marry this woman, and I am going to marry her, and that's it! Leave us alone.

It worked. Then it was gone. But the drive to the Justice of the Peace was unsettling. I kept wondering about the who, what and why of this experience. Now I had doubts about marrying this woman and, once again, I was too afraid to turn around and take her home as it would have hurt her emotionally. I felt like I going down a drain as things were getting out of control.

We wed. When I said "I do." it felt as though a 60 pound rucksack had been dropped on my back and I hunched over under the load.

That night I had a dream that showed me what I had done to myself and accurately foretold my future. The entity was trying to save me from myself. The horror was about to begin.

Who watches over us? Who intercedes in our lives? Fifty years have passed and I still do not know.

Thank you, Lord, for letting me get this off my chest.

Other hauntings by MrRiggs

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MrRiggs, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-03-11)
Aros, It's probably best to have this conversation on one of our threads... The Topic here at YGS is not something the general community engage in or are even ready for...however, if you do have a story and post it here as your story, perhaps we can go into more depth where I'm happy to share more of my insight on the topic.

Regards!
Aros (6 stories) (57 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-03-10)
aussiedaz I am a huge believer in the extraterrestrial presence and the UFO topic in general. In fact, I have been studying the phenomenon passionately for over 30 years. I will be posting an experience on this site one of these days. Having said that, while I can't discount your take on any level, my concern would simply be that why would an advanced ET being take the time to tell a person not to marry someone? An angel or spirit guide makes more sense just in the fact that they might have a more direct relationship with the person's spiritual growth and know the Soul Contract and life plan. Then again, what's to say the ET being (if that was in fact the case) doesn't have a similar connection? So maybe in fact you are on to something.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-12-06)
Hello MrRiggs,

There are some clues in your story of which makes me feel this watcher who interacted with you on this day was an extraterrestrial?... Possibly an Pleiadian being who are our closes neighbour in the galaxy. Most of the community here are not ready or willing to go down this rabbit hole with you mate however, I have no issue putting my thoughts on the table on this topic because I feel the sooner we accept we are not alone in the universe the sooner we'll get to the bottom of the ultimate truth of knowing who we really are.

The two clues? You received information in blocks, yep, that's how they communicate with each other and what lays ahead of us when we can finally evolve to the point of using all of our brain power with the fundamental nature of consciousness being the tool and supplement of skill.

The fact that you was able to decode it offers an example of the potential we have in some future generation.

The other clue?... Is when you were sensing it was a being 8 ft tall? Yep,
Pleiadian's are on average 8 feet tall, actually if you look at some of the drawings around the Egyptian pyramids, you can these beings sitting down with humans bringing them gifts, if they stood up in these drawings, they would be around 8 feet tall.

You're not alone with your experience I have heard it from many others, the fact that you were so stubborn not to take their advice is why they kind of gave up in the end, although through a precognition they gave you a bo-peep at your future later on that night. Have no regret in one sense, every earthly experience we encounter serves it's own purpose via the choices we make.

Who are they?

They are extremely intelligent enlighten beings who are assisting us in our spiritual evolution. I would say you are probably a star child? Someone they have selected to keep an close eye on, you may even be one of them put on a earthly mission to do... AB or C?

I have interacted with them on several occasions and keep it personal to a point, I don't really care what people think anymore, the truth is more important than my ego or coming across as a tin hat weirdo, people are entitled to their opinion. There is an abundance of evidence out there to be examine anyway,

For mine, what you have presented is enough evidence for me to to believe it is them who are watching over you.

Regards Daz
The_Morrighan (2 stories) (44 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-12-04)
Aedeboni, with all due respect I believe the OP was inviting questions about the paranormal experience itself and not about his personal life. Remember that this site is called Your Ghost Stories not True Marriage Missteps.

Blessings.
aedeboni (4 posts)
-1
3 years ago (2020-12-04)
Well, it's a genuine question/concern and OP did state he's open to all questions. Seems like fair game to me.
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2020-12-04)
Hey Mr Riggs,

Hope you are feeling OK and are busy working on "Part 2" of your experience.

To me, YGS has been a place to read people's extraordinary experiences and sometimes some outrageous stories. Questions will always be asked and advice given to those in need.

I believe that passing judgement is risky on any site where reliance is solely on the written word. There will always be areas where OP's may not want to venture or what seems to be clear, will be misunderstood by members of the audience.

Sometimes all is not what it seems.

I agree with "The Morrighan", about focusing on the entirety of the experience and also apologies for using your account to jump on the soap box.

Hope to hear from you soon Mr Riggs.
Rex-T
The_Morrighan (2 stories) (44 posts)
+6
3 years ago (2020-12-04)
Aedeboni, you slate members of this site for being judgemental and 'snippy' but then tar yourself with the same brush. In this instance perhaps divorce wasn't an option for the OP due to religious reasons or other personal beliefs. Regardless I don't see that your comments were particularly germane to the account. My apologies to the OP for this brief hijack.
aedeboni (4 posts)
-3
3 years ago (2020-12-03)
This is such a depressing story. So am I reading this correctly that your marriage is horrific, you've been miserable for 50 years, and you were cheating? Why not divorce?
MrRiggs (7 stories) (102 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2020-10-28)
Hello, DarriuxDarkk,

Thank you for responding to my post.

I don't know of a way to accurately describe the pressure or radiating force I experienced. At one point I was pushed to get my attention. I was physically touched by a non-physical invisible something. There was an abrupt force that moved my upper body forward. That was minor and totally different from the energy this "something" radiated or projected. I do not understand why the woman in the car with me could be unaware of what was happening. I can only conclude that the supernatural remains beyond our understanding while we nibble at its edges as we seek to learn more about it.

What makes this so troubling for me is simple - Why me? Of the millions enduring marital hardship or failure, why bother with me? Preventing the marriage was absolutely the goal. It it became clear someone was trying to protect me from myself, though I only learned that after the marriage.

I was in Damascus, Syria many years ago meeting with a very talented psychic. She struggled with the reading, then said "You have 3 children but you are not married, how can this be?" Two, I said. "No, 3. One you don't know about. But you are not married. I don't understand."

I can only say that my personal circumstances were so bad that I never committed to being married, though I was legally bound. How bad can it be? I used to walk to work during artillery bombardments. My employees told me it was too dangerous to do that. I countered with, "It's okay, I'm married.

Is my marriage okay? Absolutely not. Part 2 of my story will tell much more and help make sense out of what I presented in part 1.

Thank you for your comment. I'm relieved to know someone felt something when entities were invoved.

MrRiggs
DarriuxDarkk (6 stories) (79 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-10-27)
Somehow I know that feeling of energy pressure you described. I've felt that kind of sensation on apparitions or places with strong energy imprint. I'm curious though, why did the entity try to stop you on your wedding? After so many years do you have any inclination as to why that happened? Is your marriage ok?
MrRiggs (7 stories) (102 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-10-21)
Well, Unquiet, thank you for your kind remarks.

If YGS is to have credibility we can only write about real world experiences. Fiction benefits no one. Many people pass through life without ever having a paranormal experience. Some of us have just a few encounters. Others, for whatever reason, have had more.

My personal library of experiences seemed quite modest and of little interest. A bit of memory sifting revealed more possible encounters than I initially thought, though they are still quite small in number. My future submissions regarding ghosts will be minimal out if simple honesty.

I can say I'm a bit of an odd duck. I have clear pre-birth memories and remember the process of entering my embryonic body. I inherited a minor amount of my mother's substantial psychic ability. It has always been totally uncontrollable. I've also had at least a half-dozen out of body experiences and twice experienced remote viewing.

There are 3 experiences that are the crown jewels of my personal paranormal history. The most significant was a near death (like) experience that lasted 35 - 40 minutes, the second was an out-of-body experience so unbelievable I won't post it here, and the third is this story of my pre-marital encounter with an entity unknown.

If you find reading about this experience spellbinding, I wish you could have been the one in the driver's seat when this took place. "Spellbinding" is an excellent descriptive term that fit my behavior in the encounter. "Taken in" has been the memory that stuck with me all these years. I assure you, it was not a presence that could be ignored.

Any knack I have with the written word is not of my my own making. During my near death experience I was told it was a gift to be used for good. I misused it and that was key in my being "taken back," which was a most unpleasant experience. I was scared then and I'm still scared. The prudent will be on good terms with Divinity, the imprudent will regret their behavior.

If it interests you, watch for my telling of the dream that followed my wedding, and of what followed. The big picture should make more sense than the encounter told by itself.

Thank you for your comments, Unquiet. With a screen name like that I'll be watching for you.
unquiet (4 stories) (16 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-10-21)
Dear MrRiggs,

Rarely does one come across such spellbinding prose. I have enjoyed your stories immensely; after reading this one I quickly devoured the others.

The insight behind your experiences is heartfelt.

Glad to hear of your recovery. I hope to read more of your submissions should you choose to share.

Thank you.
MrRiggs (7 stories) (102 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2020-10-19)
Hello RCRuskin,

Thank you for commenting. I find your remarks helpful. I now realize this story must be told in 3 parts, though the last 2 may be written and published together.

The dream must be told. I was shown and told the consequences of my actions. The imagery was symbolic and very clear. What followed in life is exactly what I was shown.

But the story and the dream may not be fully appreciated without examples of what followed. I will do that with care as spouse bashing is inappropriate and classless. I will use tact while telling the truth.

This reminds me of a childhood experience. I was not much beyond being a toddler. I had been warned not to touch or put my hand in the toaster. The warm orange glow was too inviting to resist and I did put my hand in the toaster. Sometimes we just don't listen and the consequences can be substantial.

Feel free to ask your questions. I put myself in the limelight of a public forum, then opened a can of worms. I will answer questions to the best of my ability, and without insult or ill will.

Thank you. Fifty years is a long time. I'm so old my kids are getting gray hair, middle age spread and are becoming bad tempered. Mine is a life lived and nothing can change that. I don't mind talking about what has happened or my few paranormal experiences. My life is coming to a close and I can feel it, though I don't mind. All that's left is twerking class and learning to shuffle dance so I can be in Youtube videos.

MrRiggs
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-10-19)
Glad to hear of your recovery, Mr. Riggs. And also thank you for your service to our country.

This is a fascinating experience, and it leaves me with just one question. But I also recognize the answer is not my business. 😁

Congratulations, too, on 50 years of being wed. It takes work to make it that long, as you know.
MrRiggs (7 stories) (102 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-10-18)
Melda,

You always "crack me up." It is so good to hear from you again.

As Dracula said to Dr. Van Helsing, "You are very wise for someone who has not lived even a single lifetime." You have quite the gift.

Yes, your point of view makes sense, though arriving at your appointed destination that way is likely going to be painful.

I should point out that my marriage is only a vehicle to help tell this story (I dislike calling personal encounters stories). My wife and I are almost reduced to "filler" characters cast in the role of partners in an unfulfilled marriage.

The real centerpiece is the entity, and the who, what, why and how this happened. There were billions of people upon the earth when this encounter occurred. Why bother with me, and who did the bothering? I can only conclude someone knows who we (all) are and what we are doing. But caring enough to provide a warning and to interfere in a person's life? There is the story.

I'm the dummy who was headed in the wrong direction. Apparently the dumber the dolt the bigger the thump. I was being thrown a lifeline and didn't grab it. How dumb is that?

When I submit the contents of the dream I had as a Part 2, I think some questions may be answered, some aspects of this story made more clear.

Had I been warned in a dream I don't know what I would have done. I have received informative dreams before so that would not be new. Perhaps I would have stalled for time.

What I can tell you is that once the marriage was set in motion, I was not going to back out for the reasons I described. It would have been too hard on her and her family. I would, and did, bite the bullet and soldier on.

The invisible rucksack is still there, though I have grown accustomed to the load. Harder to deal with was the discovery that marriage meant the loss of personal freedom. The loss if freedom ultimately meant a loss of dignity. A man without dignity loses his self-respect. Without self-respect life is only a toiling grind, even if you are king. I'd rather be dead than live life like that. I managed to find alternatives over the years. Now the boneyard beckons and some day I should get some answers. Time will tell.
MrRiggs (7 stories) (102 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-10-18)
Rex-T,

Thank you for the welcome.

Yours is a pretty good assessment overall. I have no real idea what this creature was, though I do have a guess, and only a guess. That guess didn't even exist until after I submitted this story. Then it dawned on me. Based on a near death experience I had in 1989, it could have been an angel. The ones I saw were quite large, were powerful and completely business-like. And being a messenger is one of their historic roles. Still, I do not actually know what this being was.

The actual experience, or encounter, is difficult to put into words. I was driving on the Interstate on my way to getting married and only had 48 hours to make this work. That time line included getting back to my military unit. An instant later there was something in the car that announced its presence by radiating an unfamiliar and potent energy. It is one thing to write about it, it was quite another to experience it.

I don't know that I have ever believed in guardian angels or spirits, though I do not doubt the possibility. I never gave it much thought. But that another type of spirit or being exists that can communicate with humans I have no doubt.

Pulling off the road never occurred to me and it was not mentioned or suggested. I was just responding to input, like a boxer taking a flurry of jabs. I was so busy dealing with what was happening that I have no recollection of thinking. The entity had the initiative and I was trying to deal with it.

No, I don't beat myself, or her, up. We met by accident shortly before my 23rd birthday. I had been 23 for a week the day we married. And yes, I was an infantry soldier, and could have been sent to Vietnam. Infantry soldiers during wartime tend not to take the long view or do the brightest things. Two brothers in my unit rode their G.I. Air mattress's through a dam on a river just for fun. They lived but were pretty beat up by the experience. We were all paratroopers, and risk takers by nature. That behavior didn't always pan out.

Something is watching us, or at least was watching me, and then acted to intercede in my life. There you have the crux of this story and my reason for writing it. The files of YGS likely contain thousands of accounts of ghost sitings or encounters. We read them, consider them, comment on them and move on. Something getting in your head and giving directives is quite another matter. And here we are...

Thank you for commenting Rex-T. It is good to hear from you.

MrRiggs
MrRiggs (7 stories) (102 posts)
+6
3 years ago (2020-10-18)
Hello Jubeele,

That this was an otherworldly force there is no doubt. Hearing that from you means my job is done. All I wanted to convey, even to just one person, is that "otherworldly" intervention in our lives is possible. I experienced it, therefore I know.

As always, you offer sage wisdom and healing, two marvelous gifts. Thank you.

One if the reasons I wrote this was to learn how others interpret this experience. I have a single point of view. After 50 years I know it well. But there are other vantage points and those views and opinions may be helpful, as yours is.

Thank you for commenting.

MrRiggs
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-10-18)
Mr Riggs - Wonderful to hear from you again. Before I even started reading I knew that this was going to be interesting.

I'm totally amazed by your experience. You received a very powerful message indeed and your refusal to conform goes to show that often when reaching a crossroad in our lives we persist in following our chosen direction and are not easily deterred. We are all human and cannot always be expected to foresee the unfortunate outcome of our decisions.

If we choose the wrong direction, well then we have to learn alternative life lessons. That's my belief, anyway. I always hope that somehow we are re-routed and join up with the route we should have followed in the first place. I don't know whether all of that makes sense 😕

You had a dream about what you had done to yourself and the horror was about to begin? On your wedding night? I feel sad for you and your bride because she must surely have sensed that something was amiss. On the other hand I also feel relief for most people who don't know what horrors lie in store for them.

What a pity you didn't have a dream a few nights prior to the wedding showing you why you were making a bad decision, instead of this entity trying to dissuade you at the very last minute. Bad timing! No, nobody would have believed you if you had claimed that a ghost had told you not to marry her, especially on the way to the wedding! Besides leaving your prospective bride feeling totally devastated, you would have found it very difficult to live with yourself and would also not have known whether you had made the correct decision.

I sincerely hope that the weight of the 60lb rucksack grew lighter with time.

Regards, Melda
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-10-17)
Welcome back to YGS MrRiggs,

I wish we could be discussing a more pleasant experience but such is life.

OK, my take on this entity is that it is not your spirit guardian. As you have stated, it tried to bully you into turning from your chosen path. If it knew you, it would have known that the "strong arm" tactic would have the opposite effect.

It occurred to me that this spirit would have served you both better by influencing you to pull into the turnaround lane, stop and have one last discussion with your future wife before your marriage.

Hey, don't beat yourself up!

You were 22 years old, living in extraordinary times with short life expectancies; especially if doing a tour in Vietnam was in your horoscope.

Like you, if these entities derive amusement from watching us, that's ok by me, but crossing the threshold leads to consequences that can be read right here on YGS.

Rex-T
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+5
3 years ago (2020-10-17)
Hi MrRiggs,

I feel that the entity was some otherworldly force that wanted to save both of you from sorrow. If you could have been intended to travel another path, by the same token, perhaps she was meant for another life as well? After all, both your lives were affected. But as much it was your decision to disregard the message, it was hers to travel in the car with you. It was a joint decision, with a shared responsibility for whatever befell you.

Fifty years is a lifetime to hold on to memories that clearly bring you a lot of pain and regret, so much so that you call it "horror". But if by relating this experience you are finally starting to heal, then I wish you well in continuing on that journey. It is like the body getting of a scab, so that the new skin underneath can breathe.

I believe that a Higher Power, God or some Divine Presence sends us messages from time to time. You had a dramatic interaction because it was a life-changing moment. But at other times, it could be a still small voice, a niggling doubt to lead us back on track, or a gentle reminder. Too often, we will disregard these subtle nudges, call it our conscience, imagination or just a coincidence.

That recent tick infection was alarming and a close call. You have been a blessing and a chance to begin a new chapter in your life. Each day is precious. We should all make the most of our days to leave a positive legacy and make the world a brighter place. Especially in these troubled times.

Thank you for taking the time to share with us on YGS.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: