You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Not Many Experiences But Baffled By The Ones I've Had

Real Ghost Stories

Not Many Experiences But Baffled By The Ones I've Had

 

As a young girl (about 8 or 9 in 1967) my family drove to Hamilton, Ohio from Englewood, Ohio a suburb of Dayton to attend the funeral of my stepmother's father Paul Wenning. We called him Poppy; he was originally from Germany and didn't speak much English. We loved him dearly - he was extremely kind to all of us and very funny.

The night before the funeral I was relegated to sleep on the living room couch so I asked my father to activate the automatic turn off on the lamp in the room. It was my hope that I would fall asleep before it shut off - no such luck for me before the lamp switched off with a loud "click". While lying there peering into the darkness I heard a noise in the adjacent kitchen. It was the familiar sound of Poppy's vinyl house shoes shuffling on the linoleum.

Before I could process the thought I saw him in the doorway between the kitchen and living room. At his feet was his dog Bootsie who had died the summer before. Poppy didn't say anything to me but I knew exactly what he was saying telepathically. He was saying "don't worry I'm not going to hurt you" It seemed the more afraid I became the more stern he was in saying "don't worry I'm not going to hurt you".

I jumped up to turn on the light and he was gone. Not only did my father and stepmother tell me it was a bad dream, I never spoke to anyone about it again and I never saw or heard him again. Matter of fact, I've not had any similar experiences until recently as explained below.

For the past several months while I'm lying in bed I hear my tooth brush flip out of the shower window sill into the tub (I keep one in their and in the medicine cabinet). There are other lightweight objects in the windowsill but only the tooth brush flips out. This has happened no less than six times. Nothing else is going on in the house.

Although this entry is about a more recent experience I need help understanding both. Comments welcome.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Angelsma, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

ToraOkami303 (1 stories) (75 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-20)
I'd try to talk to the spirit at your house maybe paper with questions will work (seeing as the spirit can move physical objects). Just write some questions on a paper and leave the paper and a pen/pencil out and see what happens. (best not watch the paper)

~Tora~
SK (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-03)
I want to think that there's a practical explanation for the toothbrush. Perhaps the motor/switch is getting worn over time. I am just reassuring myself little too. I like to think I'm a pretty practical person.

My Father passed away exactly ONE year ago... Today! I've been doing google searches all day about a similar experience. I just had a one year ceremony for him at the temple yesterday, where we give an offering of all kinds of food, gifts, etc. Well... Last night I got out of the shower to find my toothbrush still on, when I remember turning it off, and even taking to brush off already. Today when I came home to walk my new puppy we just rescued Saturday (My Dad always wanted one when he was alive)... I found the toothbrush on AGAIN! I didn't freak out... Put it back on the charger hoping to reset something... But I hope it's just my mind.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-31)
Hi and thabnk you for sharring this interesting story with us. I'm very sorry for your loss. But its nice to know tha pop came for a visit. He just wanted to see you. Like all fathers would like to. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
dphoek (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-31)
Hi Angelsma. A beautiful story really. Goes to show that loved-ones visit their loved-ones. I personally believe that my grandfather, with whom I never had a real bond because he didn't like small children that much (I was told), is my guardian angel. It's just a really strong feeling I have. And I certainly do believe that animals have a soul. Because human beings consider them the lower lifeform, does not mean that they don't have a soul. We are not the ones to judge that.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-31)
Hi Angelsma and thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Since you distinctly remember being awake the night you saw Poppy, we have to exclude the possibility of a dream. Adding this thought to your claim that Poppy was accompanied by his deceased dog, I can only assume that his visit was intended to show you that despite his physical death, his spirit still exists and has reunited with a loved one-so much for those who claim that animals have no soul!

In addition, the incidents with the toothbrush can only strengthen my conviction that he's trying to communicate this message to you-that he still exists in a different form which allows him to cross from one dimension to another to visit his beloved family.

I know it's hard to get the message across if others are unwilling to accept the possibility of his visits but if I were you I'd keep spreading the news regardless of whether they believe it or not.
Ghostgirl24 (9 stories) (30 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-30)
I lost my Poppy in june 2006 and he has made a number of visitations, I just think this was your poppy letting you know that he is still around watching over you. I would ask him if it was him that flipped my toohbrush give you a sign. Remember its not the dead you have to worry about its the living.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-30)
Interest story, I am sorry about your poppy I lost my Grandpa in 2004 in september 7th he was a sweet man my life even thought I been hard on him but Yeah I feel mad about myself lately that time but yes I do dream about him after his death along with my father who died in 1990. I love them both dearly but I lost both of my two friends at the diffrent years. You welcome to chat me on wgoddessofmoon [at] yahoo.com.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: