You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Shadow Cats

Real Ghost Stories

Shadow Cats

 

So far, the stories I have posted have been about things that happened to me in my childhood. This story however takes place only about 7-8 years ago, shortly after we moved into our present home and is the only paranormal type event I have experienced in our present house.

It was an autumn evening after dark, and I was just getting home from work. I got out of my car, struggling with my big purse, my lunch bag, and two or three plastic bags of groceries. I tried to get in the back door but found my husband had accidentally hooked the screen door when he left that morning. So grumbling, I made my way around to the front door with my key. Now, the front door opens into the living room/dining room area and you have to go through there to reach the den and the kitchen.

I have two house cats that I do not allow to go into the living room or dining room because I don't want them throwing up on my good rugs, as cats are prone to do. The street lamp cast enough light for me to see so I didn't bother with the light switch. Juggling my purse and my groceries, I made my way through the front door, pushed open the wooden folding door to the den and stuck out my foot in an effort to block the cats; I saw my big, black male cat dart nimbly past my leg anyway and disappear into the shadows of the living room.

I was irritated because I knew once he got by me it was his habit to hide under the couch and make me drag him out. I quickly closed the door so the female couldn't follow him, made my way on into the kitchen to put down my stuff; but when I turned on the light, to my amazement, there stood both cats by their food dishes waiting to be fed. I know my cat did not double back because I would have seen him and from past experiences he would not have done that anyway. He likes the game of hide and seek he plays whenever he manages to break into the living room area. I thought it was a little strange but I really didn't think about it too much.

A few weeks later I returned home from work again, about the same time, with my big purse, lunch bag and some plastic bags of groceries. This time, the back screen door leading to the screened in back porch was unlocked so I made my way through the porch and opened up the door to the house. As I struggled to get in with all my stuff, I thought I saw my grey female cat this time, dart past me and out onto the back porch, just as the inside door slammed shut between us.

"You'll be sorry when you realize I'm getting ready to feed you," I thought. But as I flipped on the light switch, I was amazed to see both the cats there waiting for me again. Something small and shadowy like a cat darted right past my legs twice in that house... And in two different locations. I have tried to rationalize this. I watched carefully and tried to recreate the experience, but I'm convinced this was not my imagination or a trick of the shadows.

This has never happened to me again, nor has anything else out of the ordinary yet happened to us while living in our house.

Other hauntings by Spockie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Spockie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

InsidiousFaery (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-04)
Hello Spooky, I am sending this reply because I've experienced something of that same nature. It was around 12:00-12:30am and I was sitting on my porch when I saw what appeared to be a black cat walk in the grass across from my house. When it started to cross the street and head towards me, I relized that it was just a shadow in-which then disappeared. I have no idea what it was, but I was scared.
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
It is possible that it was the spirit of Morgan, a cat I loved so dearly that had died a couple of years before we moved to the new house. Or, it could just have been one of those mimicing spirits who assume whatever form they choose. Anyway, it hasn't been repeated and it wasn't scary.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
Spockie thanks for replying. It makes very little difference where your own cats died. Animals that are attached to their owner, that have shared a happy life with their human companions would follow them anywhere dead or alive. The fact that your present companions seem to accept the shadow's presence comes to confirm that it's not only a friendly and positive energy but very likely a "familiar" one. It is possible that it has been around you for some time before you finally perceived it or before it felt comfortable enough to make its presence known.
hales3 (3 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
It could've very well been a cat who died on your property years ago. Maybe he has fun pestering your cats or playing with them. After my dog Blue died a few years ago, I could hear his little nails clicking as he would walk down the hallway. It made me sad but happy because I missed him, but happy to know he missed us as well.
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
Well, I have had many cats down through the years, but none of them died in our present house. I guess it's still possible that it could have been the spirit of one of mine. The people who lived in the house before us had dogs. These apparitions moved more like a cat than a dog. My cats never showed any anxiety or agitation when these two incidents happened.
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
I have to go with Tonith on this one. Did you have any cats before the two you have now? I don't think you will have anymore occurances but I will look out for any more posts from you.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
For a moment there I thought you were going to look under the couch when the first shadow was seen entering the living room... You sure made ME jump for a moment!

That is an interesting experience you had Spokie. Have you observed any change in your cats' mood when the shadow appeared? Tonith and dreamergal are right about the possibility of it being a deceased pet. I also believe animals have a "soul".

It will be very interesting to see if you have any more experiences in the future!
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-09)
Having 4 cats I can tell you they are fast and sometimes I wonder if they can slip in and out of our dimension. Some people are convinced cats reside in the 4th dimension most of the time lol. It's very possible you are seeing the spirit of a former cat that lived in the house. I realize there are people that don't believe animals have an essence but I believe they do. My dog of 17 years jumped on my bed for 3 years after her death. I never saw anything but I would feel her walking around the bed to find her spot like she did when alive. It never scared me. I would be like what the heck? Then I would turn the light on and of course nothing was there. I could have chalked it up to grief the first few months but it happened for 3 years. When I got my first pet (a cat) 3 years after my dog's death it didn't stop right away. I would be expecting to see the cat when I felt the jump on the bed and the walking around I would turn on the light and you guessed it, no cat. Then after I had my cat for a while it stopped. When I felt something walking around it was the cat lol. I guess my dog was not willing to share space with my cat. Since then I ended up with 3 more cats and sometimes they freak me out with their ability to seemingly be in 2 places at the same time.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-09)
Wow, Strange well Last Night I seen my own shadow it not surpose to be two shadow I mean hello I am by myself So I stop and look at the ground and ask myself why two shadow. But Yes I do have ghost cat it friendly then my live cat lol. Maybe it the resident before you and your husband and your cats move in your home it may be the former resident's cat that use to live there. Just my opion.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: