You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Who Or What Was Granny Grunt

Real Ghost Stories

Who Or What Was Granny Grunt

 

This event falls into the category of high wierdness. It took place when I was somewhere around 4 or 5 years old. I know it was before I started elementary school. As I explained in the first story I posted about my experiences in the house I grew up in, I was raised in a cotton mill house in a Southern cotton mill town, by my Paternal Grandmother, her sister (who was my Great Aunt) and my Great Aunt's daughter (my cousin). I had many unusual and often frightening experiences growing up in that house, and many of them seemed to be centered on my cousin's room. This event, however was not frightening... Just very puzzling

This particular day I was playing by myself in my cousin's room. I remember she had one of those old rotary fans sitting on a table there, the kind with the wide wire spaces and metal blades... But it wasn't plugged in at the time. As I was playing, suddenly into the room walked an old lady. I don't remember much about what she looked like, except she had grey hair pulled back in a bun and she had a kind face. She started to talk to me and one of the only things I remember her saying to me was to warn me never to put my fingers into that fan while it was running. I assured her I would not. Now, at the time I had been trying to learn to whistle. I'm not sure if I were doing that when she came in the room or not, but she asked me didn't I know that little girls aren't supposed to whistle? Then she started to sing a little song that went,

"Grandma Grunt said a curious thing, Boys can whistle but girls must sing."

She sang the little chorus for me and then we sang it together. I had never heard that song before, but I did hear it again when I got to grade school and we sang it in music class. Then, abruptly she said she had to leave. As she was walking out the bedroom door, I asked her her name and she smiled and said, "Granny Grunt." I jumped up and ran out to see where she went and she was gone. I asked my Grandma, Great Aunt and Cousin, who were all in the kitchen at the time where she went and they said nobody had been in the house. As a matter of fact, my cousin did not believe me and fussed at me for telling a lie, which hurt my feelings. Only my grandmother seemed to believe me.

The old woman was never seen again. So what was she? A ghost? A guardian angel? An old woman who wandered off the street into the house? Not likely since she got away so quickly. I would have seen her go out the front door.

I know this story might sound made up to some people, but on my honor it really did happen and is one of the great mysteries of my life.

Other hauntings by Spockie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Spockie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-17)
Thank you all for your very nice comments. I have some other stories from my childhood years which I will be sharing from time to time, and I look forward to reading all of yours.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-16)
What a beautiful story that you wrote for all of us to share. Plus getting a good spirit come to you is something special keep that in your mind of her. Once again thanks for the good written story.
BriFischer05 (14 stories) (169 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-16)
Beautiful account. I would cherish that encounter. Not everyone is so blessed to have had a loving, positive encounter such as yourself from beyond. Thanks for sharing a heart warming story. Peace and love to you.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-16)
As experiences go--high weirdness or not--your's is exceptional, Spockie! When I read your first story, I hoped you would share Granny Grunt with us, but never dreamt you would do so so quickly. And, despite any concerns you may have, this certinly does not sound fabricated. Granny Grunt's concerns--your fingers remaining whole and teaching appropriate gender behavior with an old-fashioned song--seem more like the authentic concerns of everyday life from a pervious generation rather than the stuff of fiction intended to sell. I believe you. Thanks for sharing!
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-16)
Chris, I only talked to her for a few minutes and I remember I liked her, which is why I ran out to try and find her when she left the room. I truly feel Granny Grunt was most likely my Great Grandmother, Caroline. I was named for her and she died in the house in December of 1952 when I was two years old. Thanks to all of you for your kind comments. I really like this board. It's nice to be able to share these experiences with others who understand and don't make fun.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-16)
Wow what an interesting story you shared with us. I realy enjoyed reading it. To be honest I loved it. What an amazing experience you had. Do you remember how long you were talking to her? I agree with Tammy and Frank that this spirit comes from a different generation. Spirits tend to pop by to a place and never return. I don't know why but someday we will know. Thanks again. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-16)
Like FRAWIN, I also believe she must have been a woman of the "old ways" coming from an older generation. She offered you advice on what was "appropriate" conduct for ladies indicative of the general consensus of her era.

Her caring nature as she warned you about the dangers of hurting yourself comes to prove that her visit, whether accidental or intended, was one which should be cherished not only because of the "nature" of your visitor but also because of what the visit per ce revealed. A "glimpse of the other side"!

Thank you for sharing yet another interesting encounter.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-15)
Love the old mermory time when older family tell a story about things I love that and I am glad that granny grunt was there to talk to you made me wish I meet my great grandmother but she died when I was little. She is my grandma's mother.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-15)
Hello Spockie. Thank you for sharing another story with us, I enjoyed it very much. The things that Granny Grunt told you reminded me of what my Mother told us when we were children. We too, had one of them "finger-getting" fans and we were constantly reminded not to mess with them. I also remember the rhyme that Mom would recite when she caught one of my sisters whistling- A whistling girl and a crowing hen, both will come to a bad end.

Thank you again for an enjoyable story and a trip down memory lane. I do believe your story and one can only wonder who she was. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: