You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Stolen Sleeping Bag At Grandmothers House

Real Ghost Stories

Stolen Sleeping Bag At Grandmothers House

 

This story isn't really scary, but it is so strange to me. My grandparents built a house in Maine when I was about 12 years old. It was not built on open land and the woods needed to be clear for the house. The house is set up on the second floor and the unfinished basement and garage below it. I went up from Massachusetts with my family to visit them for the first time in the new house.

It was about 12am and all of my family went to sleep. I setup a cot in the middle of the living room and my little brother went to sleep on the couch. The living room is large and it is open to the kitchen. On the side of the living room is the basement stairs. I went to sleep with a sleeping bag draped over me like a sheet. I woke up around 3am because I was cold and found that my sleeping bag was gone.

I looked all over the second floor of the house and could not find it. I went to the spare room to get my father. He helped me look for while and decided to walk down to the basement. There he found my sleeping bag folded up neatly against the basement door. I was pretty startled and my dad said that it was really weird. He went back to bed and so did I. Nothing else happened that night.

I forgot all about the incident until I went up to the house again a couple of years later. I was about 14 and the same thing happened to me again. But my grandmother made the couch like a bed for me and my top sheet ended up way off in the corner of the kitchen! This made me think of the first time before. This has happen to me almost every time I go up there. Just recently when I was about 21 I woke to find my pillow in the hallway.

Why would something keep doing this to me, even at an adult age? Do spirits do these things or is it just me?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maine

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sbolduc, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

againsarahan (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-23)
I think someone is playing this specific trick on you to let you know you are recognized after each prolonged absence. I wonder if any other overnight guests have had anything similar happen. I'd be interested in hearing about it if you do some more follow up! Thanks for an odd story.
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
Thanks for your reply sbolduc.
I for one would like to hear from you about this a bit further.
I'll be listening for you...
sbolduc (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-17)
thanks for the info that these things are common and that spirits do these things. Also there are no pets at my grand parents house. I will have to ask them about the house at thanksgiving.
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-17)
Hi sbolduc;

You ask in your story at the end if it's just you or if spirits do this sort of thing.
Various accounts from different sources show that spirits play these sorts of tricks for attention, for shock value, to be troublesome, or by way of acting out prior events related to the unwanted activity.
And sometimes they continue for years in just the way you describe your experiences.

You can read a story on this site called "MISSING SOAP" by Casper4 to get a comparison.

Probably a good idea to get info from your grandparents about it.
Seems harmless though irritating.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-17)
That is so very strange... Your grandparents don't have any pets, do they? Our cats like to terrorize the house at night and occasionally we'll find pillows in strange places. A lot of the time it's because they get their claws hooked on something and naturally, being cats, they get scared and run away with whatever object it is in tow. 😆
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-15)
Well, if this energy is not attached to the house, it is definitely attached to the land.

I'm curious to know what your grandparents will tell you.

Let's see if you are the only one who perceives it.

I'll be looking forward to having you back with us.
sbolduc (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-15)
Thank you so much for commenting and asking these questions. I don't think it was me sleeping walking at all, becuase these things never happened to me at my own home. You mention that I thought it only happened to me... I never asked anyone else in the family except my father and he could sleep through anything. So maybe I should ask my grandparents about these things. But like I said before, the house is built on new land, that needed to be cleared...
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-15)
Sbolduc hello and thank you for sharing a very strange story indeed.

I'm going to have to ask you one question first before assuming the paranormal:do you sleep walk? I'm asking because if this is the case you might be the one subconsciouly doing these things. Then again I would assume that had that been the case, you might have mentioned something in the story.

So, if you're not the "one to blame" then considering the possibility of a past resident, and of course intelligent haunt is not "a wild guess". It seems that the energy in that home is mostly playful although you could also say a bit abnoxious.

It's striking and not at all accidental that it seems to "focus" its attention on you. It is YOU "it" challenges and toys with.

Let me ask another question. Have your grandparents or anyone else from the family mentioned anything strange happening?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: