You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: The Tree Goblin

Real Ghost Stories

The Tree Goblin

 

I have many stories-too many to count, really! This story happened when I was around 6 years old, and was my first encounter with the paranormal, in 1994.

My father would take me to visit my uncle in Ft. Kipp on the Ft. Peck Indian Reservation, at their father's house-a "nothing" town, which he lived outside of as a child. The place just gives off feelings of hopelessness and sorrow. Even just driving past it, I felt this when I was a child.

The area of his homestead had no houses around it for miles, just trees and hills. They would drink coffee and talk for hours. On this occasion I was playing in front of my uncle's deck and ramp (he was in a wheelchair).

I remember just digging in the dirt, being a kid, finding a silver dollar in the ground when I had this sudden feeling I was being watched.

I ignored it for a few moments then I looked south.

Not too far off, I'd say 40-50 yards away, was a tree, the closest tree to the house. I could see the left side of this tree was completely vertical, right as rain but the right side wasn't, I could see a figure peeking from around the tree.

The thing is, it was the same color as the bark of the dead tree, it looked one with it never moving once. Its fingers were wrapped around the trunk, long and pointed head, egg-shaped.eyes, huge and hollow. Its mouth had a smile unlike anything I've yet to see.

It was staring at me. Imagine the scariest part of the scariest movie you've ever seen.

I couldn't move. Complete paralysis. It must have been a whole minute.

Whatever it was, it KNEW I was aware of it.

My thought was, "I wonder how fast it is..."

Then, something snapped. I ran as fast as my legs would take me up the stairs, inside.

My father and his brother were at the kitchen table. I told my dad, panicked, to hurry quick, come outside there's something watching me.

I grabbed his hand and led him to the spot I was at and said, "Look!" but when I pointed at the tree, I could see that, it was a normal tree now, both sides vertical.

I couldn't speak. I felt very silly for a moment, but I KNEW what I saw was real.

All my dad said was "Don't worry about it, don't think about it, it's okay" and led me inside.

My father and I are Native American, and I guess we're blessed with gifts we didn't want. As I grew older, he told me more and more about what HE was able to see. He told me such outlandish things in such an honest way that I knew he couldn't be lying. Things he saw on the same land I saw the "goblin". The land he grew up on.

If you guys like this story I'll post another experience. If not I'll leave it at that.

Also, if anyone wants to take a guess on whatever it was I saw, be my guest.

I don't feel the need to proclaim "THIS IS TRUE THIS IS TRUE."

I wouldn't be here if it wasn't and I'm glad this site exists.

Thanks.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Owl_Headdress, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Lovinit (1 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-02-10)
So I'll preface this with I don't have much to do with me Indian heritage. I do Gower have a bit of Cherokee in my blood Great grandmother was full blood. I've been trying to figure out what kind of spirit it was that lived on my parents place for a while now. They live in a heavily forested are of Louisiana. The thing would never show it's self to me full on but a shadow of a spindly big headed imp/devil/goblin thing that would stare at you as it cackled. The feeling of a rabbit being watched by a hawk. It just felt evil... My wife is very sensitive to these things and has had bad luck with it since she was very little. Since being married things got worse. I decided to learn to astral project to get a look at these things and destroy them... It wasn't smart but it was effective I started as something a kin to a ghost now after breaking and devouring dark things for a few years my form reminds me of a demon cast out burned and warped but the spirits fear me now. I went back to take care of the goblin while home it was as I described but deep red like fresh blood and lived in the heart of the old twisted hardwood deep in a gully. It was the strongest being I delt with at the time it was devoured with its smile still plastered to its face. After dark things moved in in droves and I hunted I cleared everything from that area and scraped the dark residue down to the bare earth far below. The land almost feels dead it's so empty of spirits now. I still want to know what kind of spirit that goblin was though so maybe I can understand why that smile was still there as I destroyed him.
LakotaWinyan (2 stories) (63 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
Sounds like you had seen a Can O'ti la, little tree spirit. Is there a spirit mound near your uncle's place? They inhabit spirit mounds, and take care of/dwell in the trees. Who knows? Maybe he planted the coin in the ground for you to find, hoping to befriend you? They normally do not show themselves to anyone. Your description of his boldness, that he allowed you to see him, sounds like he was a curious young un, probably wanting your friendship.
ParaTam (3 stories) (80 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
Owl_Headdress -
Thank you for sharing your story. It is refreshing to have a site like this where you can feel free to express yourself paranormally. There will always be someone who disagrees with you or thinks you imagined it all. But, I see there are also many OPEN MINDS out there who believe and have had similar experiences... Or just KNOW.

I too believe you saw some type of earth elemental. I think there are many more beings out there than we can know or imagine. Keep yourself open and the world will open to you!

Brightest of Blessings!
ParaTam
Silent_Observer (2 stories) (35 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-09)
you know what I find interesting? You described something that looks like it came straight out of a Brian Froud book (mind you, I'm not implying that you made it up... You were only six! And you appear to have no understanding of what you saw at all, at the time...) However, I would totally recommend you look at Brian Froud's work on Faeries and Goblins... I swear the whole "ugly faces, pointy fingers, oval head" thing fits the description to a "t." I agree with everyone who says it is pretty much a Nature Spirit, Fae, The Green Man, etc... To me, they are respectfully all the same.

Thank you so much for sharing this story. It made my heart smile. 😆
applerose (13 stories) (139 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-20)
I have said it before -and I'll say it again- that children have somewhat a 6th sense about them - when we are children we DO see things that SOME adults can not see - We are told its the "boogie man" or that we just have a wild imagination. I remember seeing things as a child that would frighten the crap out of an adult - some of the things I have shared on here -some I have yet to share. I believe you did see a goblin. I would love to read anything else that you have experience - so please post more.
SnowClaw (3 stories) (13 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-20)
I am very glad that I came across this story.

My boyfriend lives in a very old house, one of which I have had experiences in myself. But I don't think ghosts are the only things that hang out around there.

It seems to me that one of his brothers who is 13, is the one that sees the great amount of paranormal stuff and I think he may have seen something similar to what you saw. The only difference would be that both times he saw it, it was in a tree, not at the trunk. And this goblin like creature was apparently green and horrifying.

We find it even more odd, because my boyfriend and his brother who sees all of these things, were both outside at the same time. My boyfriend was standing by a tree because his dog was looking up the tree and barking and growling. While all of this was going on, his brother was screaming at him to get away from the tree because there was something in it. (the goblin thing specifically) My boyfriend looked up the tree, and saw nothing.

His brother has seen this goblin like creature more than once, along with other ghosts. I'd also like to add that their family has no Native American in them.

Thank you for this story:)
AshleyHalliwell (4 stories) (100 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-17)
I am also Native American... Only about 1/3, but still enough. I can see things that most people can't and it's weird because when you try to tell someone they almost never believe you. I haven't seen too much yet, but I'm sure I will. As for what the creature you saw was... It could be a number of things. It could be a tree fairie or a leprechaun or even a Duwende, which basically means little people.

I would love to hear more of your experiances so whenever you feel up to posting them, I'll read 'em.
Osa (1 stories) (70 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-29)
Loved this story. I work in schools & I have to tell you that I cringe every time that kids read in books that people, pets are alive but rocks & mountains are not. They do state that "plants & trees are alive" but they are not sentient. Man do I bite my tongue. It seriously is one of the hardest parts of my job, a fundamental disagreement.
Whitebuffalo is right, you witnessed what in England would be called,"The Green Man". A tree spirit that most cannot see. The fact that it was a lone tree makes it all the more believable!
goon (1 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-29)
I like Whitebuffalo's ideas a lot. 😊
Ask your mom next time you talk to her about the trees that grow around the Fort Kipp area. I'm truly interested in that now.
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-29)
Uh, not exactly the same, but Yep. You are absolutely right.😆
But, as with Pan's Labyrinth, "Innocent" LOOKING, is often times just the opposite, and with a vengeance.😉
Thank you.
Owl_Headdress (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-29)
Well scaryboy I said I found the coin because I did... Haha just happenstance... It was pretty old... And awesome... I don't think it had anything to do with what I saw though... Uncle said he dropped it over though... Though I didn't believe him at the time haha since I was digging pretty deep.../buffalo that's interesting stuff... Very true... After watching pan's labyrinth... Anything that looks horrid could be good:))
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-29)
Yes, they DO, actually. 😊
For CENTURIES (probably much more than that) people have been chasing around leprechauns to obtain QUICK wealth. People have been trying to capture fairies to jar up and show at the local pub. Scientists have tried to replicate the cloning abilities of certain leaf faces friends in the hopes of creating medical miracles.
People BELIEVE in Tinker-belle. They believe in Lucky (Leprechaun).
Freaky, bark faced beings are thought to be our imaginations (After all, EVERYTHING is SUPPOSED to be BEAUTIFUL, right? It is all in what YOU think to BE "beautiful"), and the fact that they have BUILT IN camouflage to keep their enemies (or those they wish to remain "invisible" to) at bay only assure their survival.
In fact, it is their CAMOUFLAGE that MAKES them APPEAR to BE invisible.
If they were "cute", they would be on all the shelves in all the "pet shops", and our Woods would have no protection of their own.
Thank you.
scaryboy (2 stories) (117 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-29)
hello owl headdress why don't you enquire...haha...what trees grow there!. Well what tonith commented is also believable owl But why did you say that you found money in the dirt and is it related or some thing and which part you stay?
Never I say anything because iam
Scary boy,
Owl_Headdress (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-29)
Thank you for the welcome! I'll have to ask my mother about what kind of trees grow around there... But the information you've just relayed to me is interesting... Had no idea such things were talked about! Haha... I don't know what kind of visit it was... All I know is that it scared the hell out of me... Older cousins dragged me to the tree (unwillingly mind you) bastards...haha...question...do they have to look so damn ugly and scary?
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-28)
Oh My LAWD. THANK you, Owl.
THANK YOU.
I tend to not look at the other comments before posting my own, so please forgive me any repetition.
First. Welcome. And HEARTFELT thanks for sharing this TRUE Spiritual encounter.
I realise this happened quite some time ago, but do you recall the TYPE of tree this tree faerie lived in?
You see, each tree is a Healer, but there are a few special trees that appeal to the human condition because of the special properties they bare.
Especially symbolic trees are the Apple Tree (the custodian of wisdom and sign of the soul), The Oak Tree (the tree of truth), The Rowan Tree (the tree of vision, healing, psychic powers. It is also known as a Wicken-tree, Wild Ash, Witchbane, Witchen, Witch wood and Tree of Life.) The Bay Tree (the tree of healing), The Hazel Tree (the tree of wishes and tree of the star goddess).
I believe the only thing that really needs to be thought about is whether you witnessed the curiosity of a Tree Faun (male tree spirits. They are said to be kindly, wise and reserved. Open to sensitive women and may "court their souls") or a Tree Nymph (female tree spirits. They are said to be more playful and adventurous with humans. BUT, may fall in love with a human man.)!
Honored FAERRIE TREES are the Bramble Tree, the Ash Tree, the Lilac Tree (Which is why I ALWAYS have numerous Lilacs WHEREVER I live 😊), the Pine tree...
I could go on, but I think you get the gist of it.
I guess what I am MOST interested in is whether this was a PROPHETIC visit by the Fae, or if it was in "simple" acknowledgement. The Nature and Elemental Spirits have SO much to teach us, if only we will listen.
What is AMAZING to me is that persons will discount a fairy visit, but totally ACCEPT a "visit" from an angry HOUSE (No, I did NOT say angry ghost in a house, I said ANGRY HOUSE). Amazing, No?
Thank you again.
Owl_Headdress (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-28)
hmm devious... I have never heard of such things before... No scoffing here... It would be lovely if such a horrifying looking thing was just a little trickster haha
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-28)
I know I might get scoffed at for this but what you described sounds like a tree-fae. I can only describe them as mischievous nature spirits. A child who is a sensitive could see it, and yes it would sure be scary. They can be startling little beings. I've seen similar things in my childhood, but to this day I try to find logical explanations for it; I just can't.

All the same though, they usually aren't harmful or evil in any way. Thank you for sharing this experience!

Blessings,
DA
shandi (9 stories) (86 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-28)
I think we would all love to be able to read more of your experiences! If you have anymore about entities that aren't necessarily human I would be very interested to read those. I wonder too if finding money in the dirt had anything to do with what was watching you.
Owl_Headdress (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-28)
I don't know... Knowing the background of this place where I saw it I think it was the real deal... It didn't look human... They kind of edited it wrong up there... It was supposed to say that the FINGERS were long and pointed... And the head was just eggshaped... But it looked like it had wrinkles in its face too.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-28)
Very interesting story... I wonder if finding the money in the dirt had anything to do with it all.
Tonith (1136 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-28)
This story is honest. You are probably gifted as your father was gifted. However there is such a thing as matrixing which the brain does automatically. Hence the head,eyes,mouth,fingers.You were 6 years Old at the time and I'm sure you were scared. I don't know if you saw was what they call an elemental or were you just seeing what the brain translated as something somewhat human?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: