You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: They Won't Let Me Sleep

Real Ghost Stories

They Won't Let Me Sleep

 

I've been having experiences with the paranormal since I was about 12 or 13, I'm 21 now. As a teenager a few friends and I used to conduct séances and do things to scares ourselves, many things happened to us in these times and we eventually understood we didn't know what we were doing, so we stopped playing about with the unknown.

When I was about 16 we moved into a very old house where my uncle used to live. I still remember those three or four days after we had moved in. I was home alone and I could hear a power point flicking in the room next door. I knew it was a spirit but I didn't feel threatened...

But as the years passed I noticed there was more than one spirit in the house. One minute I would feel completely relaxed around one spirit, the next minute I would get the creeps. This is how I came to the conclusion there was more than one...

Many friends that have come to my house have commented on feeling like they were being watched. One actually said that they felt it was an old man, which is funny because I felt there was an old man there too.

I don't live inside the actual house but in a bungalow out in the back yard. Two or three years ago I started to notice a presence in my room, like I was constantly being watched from one particular spot, and there would also be cracking noises. I did feel like I wasn't wanted out there and it did give me the creeps. About eighteen months ago I had this bizarre experience where I thought I was dreaming; a lady with an angry look on her face walked towards me and slapped me. I woke up holding my face. I've always wondered whether I was in a semi sleep state and did this actually happened for real...?

Things have been going missing, my TV remote has never been found even after I turned my room upside down looking for it. Water droplets have fallen on me from nowhere... A few years ago I had real problems with sleep walking.

In the last year things have been getting crazy out there. I get the feeling this spirit doesn't want me sleeping, because whenever I get to that stage when I'm about to drift into a deep sleep, I hear a loud thud or a crack or something falls over. I've also been waking up with bruises on my knuckles...

I've been at breaking point in the last two weeks, it seems this spirit has got very angry with me, I don't know why. I've been hearing footsteps circling my bed, strings being plucked on my guitar, the window blinds moving, and loud thuds against the walls.

It has scared me so much I slept inside one night, and then I got worried I'd given it the upper hand. So the next night I went back out and everything was fine. But the next night things started up again.

I sat up in my bed and said out loud "Do you want to start do ya?" the second I said that a poster ripped off the wall and stuff flew out from under my bed. I slept inside again that night.

Two nights ago I decided to smudge. The night I smudged I removed surfboards and stuff from the corner I felt I was being watched, where the spirit stood. Everything was fine that night. Last night, the night after smudging, I was paid a visit yet again. It was early in the night, only around 8:30pm I went to bed. There was tapping on the windows, footsteps like someone running, and it sounded like something was being thrown from wall to wall. I went and slept inside again.

Things do happen inside, they just don't scare me as much and I don't feel as if they're after me in there, well I did think that.

Last night when I was sleeping on my mum's bed I woke up to the feeling that something was hovering above my face, then it was gone. I also woke up twice being shaken... I've also experienced this in my room.

I don't know what to do. I've asked them to leave, I've smudged, and I've laid out salt around my windows... What else? I feel like I'm helpless and no one else can help me neither.

And the thing that scares me as well is that I'm moving house in a few weeks and I'm scared it's going to follow me, and I will be living alone.

Please help guys!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ash_122, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
I missed it, sorry.
Did you have the house cleansed?
I would also suggest (as it was a clairvoyant that you went to see, I am almost afraid to assume this, but MOST of the time they do not offer a Blessing as well) you get the house Blessed as well.
Make sure you smudge yourself.
If you have a being attached TO YOU, you will need a smudging, or even a "salt down".
IF you have had the cleansing... How are things now?
Thank you.
ash_122 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-15)
Hi guys.

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you all - I've been working and trying to move house at the same time...

Sorry white buffalo, I haven't been ignoring you at all, but was a bit curious as to why the surf questions...
I live in Tasmania. There are two surfboards, one 6ft2 shortboard and one 6ft6 mini mal. I don't strip the wax until it's totally useless so yeah I guess there would be salt in there.
I've officially moved house now but still having the same old trouble. Have been dealing with it well of late, been white lighting every night. The spirit has followed me to my new place. They were keeping their distance for a while but the last two nights have came into my bedroom disturbing me. I've also heard full on running footsteps in the hall - sounded more like a kids running though?
Last night my cd player remote was thrown onto my bed, and I heard something being muttered under someones breath just before I got up this morning, couldn't quite hear what was said though.
It's scaring me again but I think I'm going to get my house cleansed by the clairvoyant I went to see the other week...
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-12)
Hello, Ash.
I asked the questions I did about where you live in Australia for a specific reason. I asked about the placement of the surf board and the type with a theory in mind, as well. I asked about the other things in the corner, and your highest wave as a bit of "research", but see that there is no answer forthcoming, and thought I would just drop off a few thoughts.

Cyclic salts are those salts which are included in water evaporated from oceans and deposited over coastal areas. Rainwater generally contains 10 to 30mg/l of salts. Studies have shown that in Australia the rainfall input of salts is as great as 300kg/ha/yr near the coast, about 30kg/ha/yr 250km inland and about 15kg/ha/yr more than 600km inland.
Connate salt is salt incorporated in marine sediments at the time of deposition. The sediments were deposited by inland seas millions of years ago that naturally contained large quantities of salts. For example, the Wiannamatta Shale Group of the Sydney Basin were deposited by a retreating ocean (marine regression) during the Tertiary. These shales contain salt from seawater trapped during the time of deposition. These shales provide the salts responsible for salinity outbreaks in Western Sydney.
According to the University of New South Wales, the Australian continent's susceptibility to salinity is a consequence of its variable climate and unique geology. The continent has been relatively stable for the last 60 million years, not suffering the disturbances of glaciation as in North America. This has resulted in old weathered soils and a generally flat topography. Salts have been able to accumulate in the landscape due to flat topography and relatively impermeable soils. As a result groundwater movement is often slow and drainage very poor and salts that have been deposited by various sources have accumulated in the landscape. In countries that are more mountainous and have wetter climates salts do not accumulate but rather are flushed out to sea.

Sea salt and Ocean salts have been thought to have a "pull" for ghostly sightings. SOME say that there is an optical illusion that occurs as the salt is "sprayed" into the eyes, or catches the light from the sun, or moons rays. On the OTHER hand, PURE SALTS as those in sea and ocean waters, are used to BLESS a home.
Unless you strip and wax your board after each and every session of surfing, there would still be a dusting of salt stuck in the sex wax. Chances are pretty high that even if you DO strip it each time, there is more than likely a trace of that salt left.
I was going to suggest that you "charge" your surf board and use it as a tool to deter unwanted ghostly visitors. When I was living in California I had a roommate that did just that, and it helped out in MY situation (Ghost or Earthquake?), though I really did not know it at the time.
But then... Maybe I do not know what I am talking about.
Thank you.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-06)
No offense, Scarlytt, but we HAVE. The last comment that spoke of the burning of everything was posted on the third sometime, and it is presently the sixth.
He HAS moved on, though I am not sure how much of that was his own choice (No, ghostboy, I have no clue why everything is gone. I should think that to mean our prestigious webmaster had his hand in it all). BUT the THOUGHT of most of the moderators, that I have personally talked to on this particular site, is to TRY to help someone understand WHY they can not make such comments.
Again, we have some very young viewers on this site (though regulations state that you need to be thirteen) and SOME of them are rather subject-able. Would you NOT rather explain the ramifications of such an act of arson, then just slap them on the back of the hand and say "Tsk tsk, STOP that"?
Rather than be rude, we DO try to talk people out of their trail of thoughts (yep, Trail). If I have offended in my part of all of this, I humbly apologize. My main objective was to stop a tirade, and BEGIN a healing process within someone that I feel truly needed help.
I hope this explained, and did not offend.
Thank you.

Ash? Could you please come back and answer the few questions that I have been awaiting answers on?
Thank you.
ghostboy001 (4 stories) (137 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-05)
whitebuffalo could you explain why nickedemus was totlly erased from the site I can't find any coments by him/her or his/her profile page.
Scarlytt (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-05)
I can apprieciate what your saying about this being a sounding board for more then souly comments helping Ash and I didn't mean for my previous post to sound so... Rigid for want of better words, I was pretty damn tired at that time of morning lol. I think what I was trying to say was more along the lines of maybe its just time to let it go with the fire thing? The guy/girl is an idiot we all know that and I don't think we gotta worry to much about them burning random houses to the ground out in their neighbourhood and even if they were really serious about doing it I don't think comments here would stop them. I mean seriously I think the comments were left to irritate and upset people which it has done so why fuel the fire (please excuse the pun haha I no it was a bad one:P) and keep talking about it? That person clearly wanted people to keep being upset by what they were saying and by giving them the satisfaction of comments back again and again surely its just giving into them? The fact the posts have been deleted aswell suggests that it should probably be moved on from or at least it does to me that's all I meant by my comment before, not that I think commenting should be more tightly regulated or kept within certain perameters I agree bouncing ideas off each other gives a different perspective on the situation and can be a massive help. Sorry for any comfusion I caused with my previous "rant" lol
Peace and Love to You and Yours
Scarlytt
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-05)
Reading through that last comment of mine, please excuse the typo's. I am having an "interesting" morning...
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-05)
Uh, what?
This is a discussion board as well.
Things do get bounced around, as it is a bit of a sounding board for all involved. I see your point, but as you can see, the person who made the comments that seem to have angered some, had destructive qualities to them.
It is better to stop an arson than it is to let a group of people think it is OK to burn a place down regardless of what the local authorities believe.
In MY defense, BOTH nickdemus (whose posts have been deleted) and ghostboy101 addressed ME. I HAD to respond. I could not ignore a direct question, nor statement.

But you are right. People have lost sight of what the comment section is for. It is for research, commenting, questioning, responding, helping and seeking help.
Help comes in all forms. SOMEtimes it is in the collective minds of others assisting someone OTHER than the one that posted the story.

As for this story...
I have, as of yet, not received any answers to the questions I posted. Soooo, HOW can I help, when the story writer is not responsive? I can not FORSE correct solutions by what I THINK is going on there. That would be fair to no one.
Thank you.
Scarlytt (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-04)
Hey this is probably none of my bussiness and it is 4am where I am so maybe I'm reading into this a bit wrong but hasnt everyone kind of lost sight of what were here for comments wise I mean? I dropped by this story to see how Ash was doing and to see if any of our advise has helped but loads of the more recent comments seemed to be people pissy with some idiot guy/girl that just seems to be deliberalty irritating people with stupid posts. I want to say that I have the utmost respect for many of the people here Rook and Ghostboy have both commented on my "work" and have helped me to see things differently and white buffalo I have read comments from countless times in the last few days which have been really informative and comforting to those who need it. However like I said I think people on this story anyways have kind of lost sight of why were commenting yeh some fool left a dumb comment and its going to piss people off and I agree some comments back should be to tell him/her they are a fool but frankly were here to offer help and advise to Ash in this case and I think we need to forget about this a**hole persons dumb fire comments and focus on helping Ash

Ash sweetie how are things going with you? Has anything worked so far? Do you feel any better? I really hope things are working out for you and that we've helped contribute towards it please keep us posted.

Peace and Love to You and Yours
Scarlytt
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-04)
Nah, arguing with you would be pointless at present times, ghostboy. I think we smoothed things over a few profiles ago. 😉 No worries there.
I am not only trying to "mean well". In this situation, everyone IS entitled to their own opinion. They are also within their rights to post them.
I do not enjoy people leaving this site in a huff. I find it exhilarating when someone leaves as they have gained as much knowledge as they are comfortable with at that point in time.
No one "wins" when someone gets "chased off", No one.
ghostboy001 (4 stories) (137 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-04)
I know you mean well whitebuffalo that everyone deserves to have there opinon heard but at least make your opinon make sensable and worth while. And yes thanks for on my first comment let me get in a argument with you.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-03)
However; everyone has a right to post their own opinion.

But ghostboy is right, he IS the voice of experience on one thing.
It IS easy to get into an argument with me. Especially when it has to do with truth versus fabrication or misrepresentation.
When one limits ones self by being close minded, it really does NO ONE any good.
Seriously, knowledge is power. Think before you post, study before you have the test, and research before you offer advice. I would not ask anyone to do anything I, myself would not try out myself.
Thank you
ghostboy001 (4 stories) (137 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-03)
nickdemus before you make anothor post ever reserch and think you are really bing a dumb a** right now I have read your other comments and I don't think any of them are intelagent I know how easy it is to get in an argument with whitebuffalo but you desreved a a** whopping from white buffalo.

just like your going to get one from me arson dose not get rid of a spirit it just gets rid of its dwelling place haven't you ever heard of ruins that Entities dwell in. I dot't know if you

Use ghost or not use entity (well I'm lecturing). You got a lot

To learn but you need to buckle down and think before you post again. Be serious your comments are sh*t man. It sounds like a complete dumb a** wrote them you should seriously think does this sound smart.

I don't think you should comment on this website because you are telling people false info. You are also telling them to be stupid and waste away hard earned money. I bet you don't even no the value of money. So reaserch and think.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-03)
Yes, nickideums, and people burned many other people because they thought they were evil. For whatever reason, humans are naturally destructive to that which they fear. Burning everything because it scares you is impractical, dangerous, and evil in and of itself. Burning a ouija board is like standing in front of a door and having an enemy army standing on the other side. Why then, would it make sense to break down that door and let them in because the door itself, as a portal, scares you?

Do not allow fear to consume you. Ash, it is commendable that you stand your ground. Whitebuffalo is completely correct. Salts, elixirs/holy water/etc. And incense, those things are cleansing. I wish the best for you Ash, and I feel strongly that whatever this presence is, it will leave if you stand up to it with 100% confidence in yourself.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-02)
Oh...
And, uh.
Salts.
They are cleansing...
Fire.
It is condemning...

Wa'-do
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-02)
Really?!
Are you being SERIOUS?
You SHOULD NOT burn a Ouija board as it is said to TRAP the spirits within, NOT release them.
It is MY belief that the country side is littered with abandoned buildings because of... Uh, abandonment, or, lack of ability to pay for repairs. NOT because of ghosts or spirits. As I LIVE in the country...
But then, What do I know?
Burial Ground?!
Nah. That has NOTHING to do with the paranormal abilities of ANY structure. Just luck of the draw.

Wa'-do.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-02)
Yeah...
I am not going to harp on the sarcastic comment about burning the house down, I should think that has been... Said. But I WOULD like to point one thing out.
If burning the house down was all it took to rid a place of a "haunting"...
Would you NOT think that there would be LOTS of charred remains of homes all OVER the world? Castles, Ships, shanties, apartment buildings, TOYS-R-US's.
THINK people.

Sounds as if YOU stopped "playing with the Unknown" but THEY did not stop playing with YOU.
I DO have a question for you. You say that in that first few days of being there, you were alone and heard the power point flicking in the next room and KNEW that it was a Spirit... How so?
Crackling noises out of the corner in the bungalow. "Electric", "rustling", "flames"...? What KIND of crackling was there?
**Please for give me if I post a replica of a question that has already been posted. I only got through HALF of the comments**
Ummm. You removed the surfboard and all the stuff out of the corner during the smudging... And it stopped.
First off, I HAVE to ask... WHAT is your biggest wave? (and yes, I AM serious) What kind, and SIZE board do you have? (Pineapple 5 foot 2 inch...)
WHAT was the "other stuff" that you removed, and to WHERE did you remove it TO?
Tapping on the windows... Inside, or OUT?
Anxiously awaiting.
Wa'-do.
ash_122 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-02)
Funny you should say that silverwing, because I was actually thinking about getting some meditation music and doind it every night. I think half the reason things worked out for me last night is because I was doing visulisations and filling the room with white light - seemed to work! Well, for last night anyway.
ash_122 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-02)
Thanks for the advice Scarlytt, I think I will try that tonight.
I have tried to speak to them, but at times I have got scared of geting a response.
But most times I speak out loud I'm defensive because I don't want to show any fear... I will speak to them tonight in the right frame of mind. Was great to hear your experiences!

Surya, I burn incense pretty often anyway, usually nag champa though - might see if I can track down some Sandalwood today actually. Yeah I'm moving into the new place this saturday so will organise someone to come and cleanse asap.

Slept in my room last night and heard a few noises but soldiered on through it, actually got a good sleep so feeling re-energised and ready to rumble!

Also, I'm going to see a clairvoyant tomorrow night. Trying to find out why this is happening in the first place... Will keep you all posted!
moonlight (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-02)
Good reading on my part, sorry you are going thourgh so much... Goodluck! ❤
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-02)
kuehnau well said and sound advice. I think what is happening here is lack of sleep and fear of what is happening. Take back your space. Get some sleep and tell whatever you think is there that you have had enough and it needs to leave. Banish it. From what I have read spirits seem to listen up when people are done being afraid.
ghostboy001 (4 stories) (137 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-02)
no don't burn the house down I don't care how bad a spirit is I would never burn a house down I would clense the house and if that wouldt work move or deal with it. Anothor thing is lay down the law and don't show fear nickedemus I have read some of your other comments and you should think before you comment a lot of your stuff is very unintellagent read other comments than come to a conclusion. I know your new to the site but burning down a house to get rid of a spirit. Sierously.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-02)
nickideums,

Um...this is your advice, comimt a crime? Arson? Give me a break. Not a very nice/smart thing to do.

If this is/was a attempt at humor then it failed, at least on me.

Respectfully,

Rook
Scarlytt (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-02)
Hi I was just wondering if you had tried speaking to the spirit without threatening it? I appriciate it must be terribly frustrating and frightening but rather then being agressive and getting agression back try talking maybe.

I had a similar thing in my new flat where this awful thing was wandering around my house and watching me in my sleep one room in my house I couldn't go into at all I would get the shakes and if forced into the room (by my mother who thought she was helping) I threw up it was a literal physical reaction you know? I just couldn't go in there it watched me in my sleep as I said I would wake up and see it like a huge black cloak I was terrified you know I would wake up and it would still be there like a nightmare gone wrong and my partners mum (shes spiritualist) came in and cleansed my home 3 times and it didn't help she told the being to go to the light and stuff and it just wouldn't go in the end I decided to try and talk to it myself I figured if I was in my own home whether a ghost or not I would be hurt and angry with people 1st coming into my space and 2nd telling me to go away!

I tried and tried to contact it and got nothing but every night for about a month I think it was in the end I just started saying out loud "this is my home now please don't come into my home and frighten me I will happily talk to you but not if your going to be like this" it took a while but I got an answer and I even saw the being again all cloaked and scary and it took off its cloak and underneath was a child only about 7 years old and I just understood straight away without needing to talk it was just like the answer was in my head you know that he was scared and had made himself seem evil to scare me away but when he knew I wasn't agressive he could let down the scary "coverup"

we talked a while a few nights he would sit on my bed and even laid down across the bottom of it a couple of times then he left and I have not seen him again I like to think hes moved on and is happy now

Sorry my response was so long I just wanted to get across that if it was you in what you percieved to be your home you would fight back too especially if the person was trying to make you leave against your will I recon you should try just saying " ok I'm here youve got my attention what do you want? " and if you get a response then good if you get a bad response say like " ok that's cool I'm not going to talk to you like this stop trying to hurt and upset me " and leave, maybe stay in the big house a coupla nights then go back and try again I'm pretty sure she will soon get the message your not going to be intimidated but also that your not intentionally doing her harm either

I really hope that helps even a little bit please let us know what happens and how it all goes

Oh also don't feel bad sugah I don't believe your being punished for meddling a little when you were younger I think if you had angered something or released something bad it would have affected you then not now I also personally believe that most spirits find it kind of funny how we scare ourselves playing with ouija boards and stuff especially when were young I mean just because youve passed on doesent mean you left your humour behind!

Peace and Love to You and Yours sugah I hope it all works out for you
Scarlytt
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-02)
Before you move in cleanse your property, Rookydgin has suggested. The other thing you may want to try is burning incense, The most effective and commonly used one is sandalwood, Pure sandalwood. There is incense for rituals as way, should you want more info on that let me know. By the way, you can use rose water to cleanse the property.
Silverwing (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-02)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84pOrGJhrlY

But this one on (loop) when Your going to sleep and let's see will it show up? One of the oldest ways to make bad spirits to leave.
ash_122 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-01)
After I read about the hag I didn't a bit of research on sleep paralysis - I haven't experienced anything like that before.
What I mean by 'professionally cleansed' is someone that knows what they're doing - because I obviously don't.
I'm not of christian faith so I guess none of that stuff would work for me, because I don't believe in it. And they would be reluctant to help someone that wasn't part of their church yeah?
kuehnau (5 stories) (60 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-01)
Also; even if they decline the request to clear your home, you can always request a bottle of holy water to sprinkle around your house. While Reading from the word of god and requesting the spirits to vacate the premises. I've been told this works as well, then again you'll need the faith in such things to back it up.
kuehnau (5 stories) (60 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-01)
On a side note, I really hate it when people say "professionally cleansed". Hopefully you aren't actually paying anyone to do this, and if you do, it needs to be a modest amount of money.

Most honest people who can do this for you, are not going to charge you unless they rely on it to make a living and when they do, it shouldn't be a excessive amount of money. Another thing you could do, is if you go to church, talk to your local priest, pastor, whatever it is you have and explain the situation to them. Tell them that even if they don't think it is a paranormal event, that doing this for you, would make you feel much more at ease in your own home and would really appreciate them to do it for you.
kuehnau (5 stories) (60 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-01)
A hag is nothing more then a old world way to explain "Sleep Paralysis". The whole concept behind sleep paralysis is that, as you drift off to sleep, your brain goes through several stages of sleep. At your deepest level of sleep, your mind will disconnect from the rest of your body, so you do not hurt yourself.

Sleep Paralysis occurs when you wake up before your brain has a chance to reconnect with your brain. During this time, you may be unable to move or speak, this is sometimes coupled with a heavy weight on your chest. Sometimes your brain may still be dreaming as well. When this happens, dreams can actually be projected onto reality.

Think of it as 3D specs. One side red (Reality), and one blue (Dreams). And when this happens, the Red will get mixed up with the Blue. This can sometimes result in horrifying waking nightmares.

Being low on sleep can really mess with you. If you have been awake long enough it isn't even unreasonable to say you could be hallucinating. Go find another place to rest for awhile and catch up on some sleep (A friend's house, a family member's house?) and then re-evaluate the entire situation once you have a fresh start. Not only will your body thank you for the much needed sleep, but you will find you will be empowered with a fresh sense of renewal and positive energy.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: