You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Strange Smell

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Smell

 

This story started 12 years ago.

There used to be an old chap who lived next door to us. He lived alone and had no family left. He used to come and visit my mother when me and my brother were at school and dad was working.

On a Saturday he used to bring us fish and chips wrapped in greaseproof paper. This happened every weekend without fail. After a while he became unable to climb the stairs and got moved to a ground floor flat just around the corner, he would still visit but not as often, eventually we lost touch, after coming back from a family holiday we found out that he had passed away in his sleep.

A week or two after his funeral we started getting a strange smell in the house, my parents thought some food had been left somewhere or a bird had fallen down the chimney and died there. We hunted high and low basically ripping the house apart trying to find out what this smell was and where it was coming from. Months after smelling this smell in certain parts of the house we realized what the smell was.

Now the only place in the house the old man had not been in was my parents bedroom as the one time he came and mum showed him round (as we were in the middle of having work done) was my parents bedroom. This is the only place we have never smelt it. It was a really strong fish smell.

Up until last year it seemed to have vanished, but I got really poorly and had to be admitted to hospital, on returning home it was back. I see it as an "I'm just making sure you are ok" kind of visit which is nice as he was a really lovely man.

Other hauntings by Will0w

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Will0w, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Will0w (7 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
Im happy to say he is is still around, recently my brother moved out of the family home to start a new life in a home of his own with his fiancee. On moving day the smell was very strong and constant through out the day, as soon as my brother said his goodbye hugs & kisses he left... So did the smell, I'm sure it won't be long before he's back
SethOfTheRich (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-07)
Great story, it's really cool that he is visiting you.
I love it when they smell, it always brings me closer in to them.
VoxMortuus (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-06)
At least it wasn't the spirit of a long dead uncle, thrusting his ethereal outstretched finger and saying "Pull my finger!".
Will0w (7 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-06)
It does seem that he mostly visits now when there is either sadness or celebration in the house. Where as before it was constant almost everyday
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-05)
Kuehnau, Of course Spirits can leave odors if they can like my father's his smoke visit me you can see the story in my profile there. Willow happy late birthday and yep that made be him to visit you to say happy birthday.
kuehnau (5 stories) (60 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-05)
It isn't unheard of that spirits may leave a odor behind as a way to let us know they are there.

Thanks for the interesting and smooth story you presented.
Will0w (7 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-05)
He's visited again 😁 Yesterday was my birthday and I could smell him while I was opening my cards! ❤
DixieChick101 (4 stories) (53 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-04)
It seems as if he is still checking and making sure all is well with your family.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-04)
What a lovely story.

Clearly this man felt connected to your family. Connected enough to visit you even after passing away. Also, it seems he visited you when you were feeling ill.

Thanks for a great (and simple) story

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: