You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Saying Goodbye Or Was I Dreaming?

Real Ghost Stories

Saying Goodbye Or Was I Dreaming?

 

This one is very hard for me to write as my aunt was taken from me in the most awful way. It happened over 11 years ago but I miss her everyday, I'd always been close to her and was with her right until the end.

My aunt passed away from cancer 11 years ago, it was a shock to the family as I suppose most people say its because of drinking or smoking too much, but she didn't do either, She was a very clean living woman and had the most caring loving personality I knew.

Towards the end when she was in a hospice, she decided she wanted to sit outside for a while, by then she was too weak to walk anywhere so me and mum got her ready and took her to the gardens. It was a beautiful day and the sun was out in full swing, birds were singing and flowers were blooming everywhere. We sat for a long time just talking and trying to make light-hearted jokes when my aunt said, "I just wish there was some kind of sign that I was going to be ok" Right before she finished the sentence a big white butterfly flew right passed us then up into the sky... That was our sign, we just looked at each other smiling and nodding. A few days later my aunt was gone, the family were inconsolable.

The morning we got the phone call to let us know... (Now this is where I'm still confused about things so bare with me)

I'm still not sure about this being a dream or real... But I awoke at exactly 5.58am to my room being flooded with a bright light coming from my bedroom door, rubbing my eyes I looked over and there was my aunt, not how she was when she was sick... But how I remember her... Healthy looking and a beautiful smile on her face, although her head was looking to the floor slightly. I couldn't say anything and just sat staring, She raised her head a little and said "I'm just letting you know that its time for me to go now, don't worry, I will be ok" with that she turned her back and was gone. We got the phone call at exactly 6am the same morning.

Your thoughts and comments will be gratefully received on this.

Just before I finish, I will say that overtime I see a white butterfly, I know she's looking in on me, it gives me a warm feeling and I can't help but smile.

Other hauntings by Will0w

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Will0w, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Amibear (3 stories) (62 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-28)
:) that's really sweet, I know this is completley different but I sometimes see my first cat just sat outside my room, and last night when I was doing homework I felt something brush against my foot.:') good luck! ❤ ❤ ❤
Thealoneone (1 stories) (77 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-12)
hmmm, you said she was staring at the floor? Have a look at the floor, try to see what is behind them? But your aunt tried to say goodbye how nice of her!
The butterfly may be your aunt or it may be a messenger, saying that your aunt has little time. And if people say this is fake, screw them! They know nothing of the spirit world!

Have a good life,
Thealoneone
Will0w (7 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-02)
Now I'm sure the butterfly is somehow my aunt, A few days ago I was sat in my garden reading and enjoying the sun, for a split second thoughts of my aunt popped into my head, there was a white butterfly in the garden flying around minding its own... I kept my eye on it to see where it was going and it landed on my arm, stayed for a few seconds then flew off, I couldn't help but shed a tear: (
CutishIvy (47 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-20)
it wasn't a dream, it's the goodbye.

Your aunt loves you so much and she feels that it will be hard for you when she leaves so she wants you to know that wherever she will be, that she will be ok and you don't have to worry.

And for the white butterfly (the sign that your aunt asked "the ok sign"), means a reminder that you don't have to worry because she's ok and she wants you to smile and be happy. And ahe's always there watching you.

She'll waiting on the other side of the light.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-20)
You were given a gift. The gift of validation by someone who has passed. I have heard many stories like this and they always warm my heart. Yes, the butterfly is a symbol for transition and transformation. My daughter was at a butterfly sanctuary in Canada and one of the butterflies sat on her shoulder for about a half hour as she toured the place. People were pointing and smiling because it seemed so beautiful yet odd that it would stay there that long on someone who was walking around. Could it have been a kindred spirit? Who knows? I'm just glad you were given the opportunity to know that this existence is not our only one. Sorry for your loss. Missing them is so hard. The hope is in reuniting with them one day when it's our turn to pass from this mortal coil.
alex77504 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-20)
Will0w,

It's a warm feeling to hear about experiences such as yours. I believe it takes a lot of love, a strong connection as well as energy on their part to make that last visit to say good-bye. I think we are more perceptive to this type of communication when we first wake, as our ability to reason hasn't kicked in.

I am sorry for your loss but greatly appreciate you sharing.

Hugs!
Sandi
hasnata (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-19)
I'm so sorry to hear that. You know, your story is similiar as mine. And it's about my uncle. ^^
.
But, pray for her.
I believe the butterfly is the form of your Aunt's soul. You know, I've read about them.
Like this, "Butterfly symbolism is metamorphosis or transformation. The symbolism of transformation is taken one step further to represent those who have died (or that they 'carry' the recently departed souls).
Don't be sad.
Maybe a smile can make her happy.
^^
galvon (142 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-19)
hmm the butterfly that passed around you might have been the sign... That she was going to pass away. But yeh even after 60years orso you will never forget. A person who realy meant something in your life
angelboo424 (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-19)
Willow,
I am sorry about your Aunt, but I don't believe you were dreaming either. She came to let you know that she was ok and that is a wonderful thing! Something similar happened to me this March when my Dad crossed so I too understand what you are saying just like Hobbyholly.
As far as the butterflies believe me they are a certain sign from your Aunt. Butterflies are a symbol of reincarnation, transfroming from this world to the next. I got them after my beloved Boo dog crossed.
I hope you have many more signs from your beloved Aunt!
Thanks for sharing your story!

Hugs,
Joanne

Www.myangelspeak.com
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-19)
Will0w:
I'm sorry for your loss. She sounded like a lovely woman.

While logic would say "you were dreaming"...I don't think that is the case.

When my grandfather passed (he had Hospice as well) hours before he died, I remember "feeling" something was going to happen. I remember listening to his oxygen machine and feeling this odd calm/stillness. While my experience not THE SAME as yours, I get what you're saying/experienced.

I'm sure you treasure the sight of white butterflies (knowing me, I'd assume they were moths and swat at it). She is for sure visiting with you... Enjoy it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: