You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Indian Drums

Real Ghost Stories

Indian Drums

 

After my father died, my mother had a stone house built in a nice quiet neighborhood on the outskirts of town. When my mother bought the land that she built our house on, there were not any other houses in the neighborhood. That whole area was covered with woods. No one knew about the history of the land but no one ever gave it much thought either. Anyway, after the house was built my mom, grandmother, a couple of cousins and myself all moved in. I was less than a year old when we moved there so that's the only home I remember.

As I grew up in the house, I started hearing my family members comparing strange events that had happened to them inside the house. One of my uncles said that he saw a transparent like figure walking out of his closed bedroom door. A female cousin of mine said she's experienced the exact same thing in the same bedroom that my uncle occupied. Unlike him, she tried to follow the figure. So, she got up and looked down the hall and the figure was gone. After those few sightings, they started complaining of hearing Indian drums coming from that same room even when it was unoccupied. Being a little kid, I ignored most of this stuff because it didn't make any sense. When I started sleeping by myself, I had the bedroom where one of the walls connected to that active bedroom.

One night at approximately 12:02 am I heard it... The Indian drums! At first I thought I was imagining it, or thought it was just the TV from another bedroom so I attempted to ignore it and tried to go back to sleep. The longer I tried to ignore the sound, the louder they seem to become. They finally became loud enough for me to hear the distinct rhythm of the drums. "Boom boom boom boom..." "Boom boom boom boom..." The drums got louder and louder and I was scared half to death. I was scared to get out of bed in case I saw something that I didn't want to see, but I was scared to stay in case "it" came in my room knowing that I was listening.

After burying myself under the covers struggling to breath from fright and lack of oxygen, something finally came to me... My grandmother and mother had always told me that there was nothing that prayer couldn't fix. So I started saying the "Our Father's Prayer." The deeper I got into the prayer, the lower the Indian drums became until they were almost non-existent. By the time I was uttering the word "Amen" the last of the Indian drums ceased at the same precise moment.

After my prayer was done there was peace at last. I felt as if something powerful but yet wonderful and protective was rocking me to sleep and at last I dosed off. When I woke up the next morning, I described my experience to my mother and had got a rude awakening. It just so happens, that everyone that has ever stayed with us at one point or another has heard the drums but tried to keep it from me, not wanting to scare me including my mom's stay in boyfriend at the time. He heard it his first night there and every night after that and so did my stepfather years after that. So it makes me wonder... Was that land an Indian burial ground? Or was it ancestors letting us know that they were still around?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Destiny1106, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TJR (13 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-13)
Toolman we are a reputable paranormal research group that does these kind of investigations. If you are interested, we have plenty of equipment to try and get evidence and we do a professional job. We will document and verify every piece of evidence that is found. We do not charge the client for this. Afterwards, after we review all of our evidence we will send you a dvd of all the evidence we did find.
You can email us at acknowledgingsupernaturalspirits [at] hotmail.com
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-09)
I need to share something with you that happened last night in my home.
I had just snuggled down into bed and was FINALLY fully relaxing for the evening. As I lay there, trying to ignore Race snoring, I heard what appeared to be the soft "ding...ding...ding" of a vehicle door being open with the key in the ignition.
I shoved Race (seriously. I thought someone had come to steal my vehicle or something OUT of it) and he went to check it out. Nothing. There was no one in the yard, no footprints around my vehicle, and nothing was amiss (My head "rests" at the outside wall of the house. I park my vehicle about three foot from the building itself).
That really probably did not have anything to do with what happened next, but I thought I would throw it in.
As I was JUST ABOUT to sleep after that, I started hearing (in all the different spaces in my room) what resembled the sound of a toy drum being hit ONCE, but in different locals in the room. It is the kind of drum that has the stretched rubber across the top, secured by faux leather straps.
This DID NOT sound like a "real" Indian drum, but made the sound of the "toy" Indian drums. I am not clear where it STARTED, but it would hit once by the doorway, then over above my head, then over by the closet, the window, the bathroom, the doorway again (I think you get the idea. It was all over).
So, I have HEARD your drum, but in MY home it is the sound of the house settling.
How frequent do you hear this again?
Thank you.
ghostboy001 (4 stories) (137 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-18)
Fear is actually a very good explination I would stick with that no matter what people have to say.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-18)
Thank you for your answer, Destiny1106.
I warn you, though, that this MAY not be the "answer" that you are hoping for, but just one person's thoughts on this particular situation.
Your second paragraph starts out with you saying "...I started hearing my family members comparing strange events that had happened to them inside the house." Later on in that same paragraph you say that "... They started complaining of hearing Indian drums coming from that same room even when it was unoccupied."
You then moved into a room that's walls were the ONLY separation BETWEEN the rooms. You were sleeping alone in the room, and had no one that you could turn over and stage whisper to "Hey, did you HEAR that?"
So you called on the One Person, who in your extreme fear (as for the suggestions of the family members who inadvertently planted the seed in your head) is always there when you call, and is never too busy to comfort (i.e. You "...felt as if something powerful but yet wonderful and protective was rocking me to sleep.")
It is MY thought (as this same thing happened to ME) that it was your FEAR that you heard. At the time this was starting up, you may not have known you were frightened, but as the minutes ticked by, it became apparent. The "drums" were the sounds of your life force. Your heartbeat. In your fear, it's sound magnified, and BECAME as the ancestral drums.
I have FELT the drum beat, right down to an irregular rhythm through every vein in my body, and could FOLLOW it's path TO my heart.
Now, that in no way explains the figures that OTHERS have seen in the home, but as they were not of your personal experience, I really can not ask questions about that. It would be interesting to get a description of them, though. That could be important.
Thank you.
Destiny1106 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-17)
To everyone who took time out of their busy schedule to comment on my story I want to sincerely thank you, I'm pleasantly surprised to find that my story has recieved such energetic and spirit filled responses. I was very nervous considering this was my first time doing anything like this but thanks to your feedback I have a few more activities that has happened within that same house that I'm now very eager to share. Once again... Thank you 😁
Destiny1106 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-17)
This is my first time using this site so I hope I'm responding to these comments in the right way. To whitebuffalo: Yes I could feel the drums very strongly throughout my body, even when the sound was barely edible by ear, the beating seemed to be beating evenly with every heart beat until they ceased. Now that I've answered your questions I would love to know your theory. I also agree with you, I don't think it was an evil entity either, because it never did anything to make itself menacing, just made us aware that it was there.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-17)
You are right, ghostboy001, however, I have no desire to see my mailbox filled with the hate mail that so many seem to think goes hand in hand with submitting a controversial comment on this site as of late.
Also, without the answers to my questions by the author, I can not say what my theory IS. I have to have those answer FIRST, otherwise it is nothing but smoke in the wind.
For the record, I do not feel that this is an evil entity, nor do I feel that there is a need to go overboard and adorn every inch of the home with artifacts of the Christian faith, or any other faith that calls for symbolism in physical doodads.
I further do not feel that the assumed role of an old Indian burial ground has anything to do with the sighting in the hallways, nor in that particular room. I feel that is simply a wonderful coincidence.
ALL of our ancestors conversed through drums many, many years ago. Villages were few and far between, and in the absence of "runners", we used drums as the rhythms could be carried on the wind. In the quiet of the night, a drum could be heard above all else. One did NOT have to be of an Indian nation to have drummers in our ancestral lines.
Forgive me, ghostboy, if you took my comment to be belittling. It was not written that way. It perhaps SHOULD have said that I would share my theory after all the facts were in, but I did not.
I do not take liberties as I have more comments than some, nor do I abuse my privileges as a moderator and editor, and to suggest such a thing is simply ludicrous.
Thank you.
ghostboy001 (4 stories) (137 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-17)
Hey whitebuffalo I don't care if we don't like the idea we are here to help people not say oh oh I have a idea. Wait its not very accepted. I don't care what people think of my ideas if it can help someone say it. Just because your the a moderater and have 2000 some comments dosnt give you those rights be helpful.
DixieChick101 (4 stories) (53 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-17)
I enjoyed reading this story and thank you for sharing it. I believe that God is the truth and the light that overcomes all.
FriendOfGod (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-17)
Oh yeah having faith in Jesus is believing in in Jesus. All you have to do is believe.

Remember Jesus is the light way and the truth, no demon can defeat Jesus, So all you need to do is believe in Jesus is your Hero.

Remember your faith (belief) must be strong! So strong that you know it is true!

"Jesus Vs the drums"

This challenge may seem silly but this theory is effective because Jesus has already won.
So basically there's nothing to be scared of but being the one doing the evil drumming beats because he's the one that's going to get a beating LOL.
FriendOfGod (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-17)
if the sound seems to have an affect on the "Our Father"

Then its most likely just an evil presence.
I advise you to do at least 5 holy acts for God each day

Example

1) talk to Jesus about anything on your mind.
Jesus says he hears everybody, so Jesus will hear you.
2) read any part of the bible
3) ask god to guide you and your family
4) sing a song for the lord
5) Thanking God for the goods things in life.

Okay doing these acts will help you believe more in Jesus,

Now that you have done acts for Jesus
Your faith in Jesus will be strong and now you can take on this evil thing.

You say "with the permission of Jesus Christ I command you evil being to go back to hell!"

And when the evil being has gone to hell
Then say a quick prayer to God before you have a nice sleep.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-17)
There could be a third option as well.
Tell me, could you FEEL the drums to the very fiber of your being? Could you FEEL it pulsating in your ears?
I have a theory, but think at this point in time it would be... Less than favored on this site.
Thank you.
ko0te (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-17)
That drum thingy reminds me of movie "Jumanji" 😳 I loved the way you said "boom boom" 😆Well, it was pretty scary 😭 I don't think that it could be a burial ground neither the ancestors or it might be? *confuzzled*
Boston (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-16)
I'd have to imagine it's the site of an Indian burial ground and I think Indian drums would be somewhat of an odd way for ancestors to communicate, especially considering it happened when you moved.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: