You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Haunted Apartment Used To Be a Funeral Home

Real Ghost Stories

My Haunted Apartment Used To Be a Funeral Home

 

Years ago, we lived in an old building that at one time was a funeral home. It was not uncommon to hear strange noises and things at all times of the day. The first summer we were there, my daughter was just a baby. I had just laid her down for a nap and laid down on the couch for a quick nap, after just a few minutes I heard a man's voice calling my name. I got up and looked around and saw no one. Laying down, I heard him calling my name again, but this time, louder and more demanding. I got up and went to look in my daughter's room. She had pulled the blankets up over her head and couldn't breath. I firmly believe that it was the man, who had shot himself in the basement years before, warning me about my daughter. To this day there are still caskets and vaults down stairs. They also still have the embalming table that was used for the funeral hone. My daughter also says that she would see people walking passed her door every night dressed in period clothes. This continued until we moved out after 8 years.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from West Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

princess2 (16 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-30)
Now that is one apartment that I wouldn't live in. That would really creep me out knowing that stuff was in the basement.
SnailBug (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-30)
No offense, but your story is REALLY similar to the story about a haunted funeral home-turned-house on the TV show "A Haunting in Connecticut" on the Discovery Channel.
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
Wow, sorry for being late on commenting, this is a weird story, Maybe the guy was trying to let you know about your daughter and the covers, by him calling out your name. I can't believe that they still had all that stuff in that basement of the building. Thaks for sharing your story. 😊
GlazeJonas (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-08)
Wow! A miracle. Truly amazing.
Just one question, to anyone who knows the answer.
Can ghost's harm people physically in any way?
discodevil (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-19)
it would scare me so much to live in an old funeral home. But these spirts didn't sound to me like they were evil or anything. Kind of on the cautious, protective side almost. Great story! 😁
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-06)
WOW! I really would NOT have been comfortable living where they used to embalm the dead and have funeral services. That's just creepy as hell! You sure are a brave one! Also, thank God for that man's disembodied voice warning you of your baby's demise. Thanks for sharing your story!

SHELBY ❤ 😊
mexican_187 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-02)
i would have shiatt my pants no joke
i would have moved out the first day
how can you live like that for 8 years damn
danawood9 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-03)
It wasn't our building. We rented an apartment in it. The guy who owned it kept the stuff down there. It also never seemed to bother her when she got old enough to understand, she always seemed very comfortable living there. You just get used to it after awhile though. But I was sure glad to move out of there.
Fran (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-02)
My confusion is why would you still keep the caskets in the basement? If you had a little girl wouldn't you think that, that alone would scare her? Anyways freaky though I couldn't have lived there for more then a day. You've got guts!
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
17 years ago (2007-04-01)
I'd even suggest that most places have seen someone die, if not in the exact house, at least in the surroundings. Dead people don't often become ghosts, it's supposed to be a very rare thing, usually due to some traumatic circumstances or some personality dysfunction such as acute attachment to something. A CEO who defines himself entirely by the power he had in his life may haunt his old office for a while, but most people probably have the sense of moving on to better planes of existence.
danawood9 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-01)
We knew before we moved in that the place was an old funeral home. It was also a grade school before that. The thought has never bothered me to live in a place where someone has died.
Kodak (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-31)
This is the reason why I try to find out more about the places/buildings I’m going to live in before I decide on moving in. I usually ask my landlords if anyone have passed away or around the area too. The reason is, I don’t want to have these kinds of experiences. I’ve had my fair share of experiences throughout my life and I’m still not comfortable being around it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: